Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've had an email from Argos with some special offers on and one of them is a Acer Iconia B1-710 7" tablet (8gb) which I thought some people might be interested in to take away in their motorhomes:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/1079559.htm?cmpid=AR031BDY10017BA2&_$ja=tsid:11693|prd:|cat:AR031&ET_cid=2655086&ET_rid=304813596

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Looks a great tablet, seriously good screen.

But no GPS :Sad: that means no navigation.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
tablet

I could be interested in this tablet but am a bit of a numpty with very new technology. Would these small tablets pick up the internet and emails? Is there a way of "typing" email replies? We have a computer and laptop but would like something small we could pop in to McDonalds etc with to check emails when on the move. We have looked at bigger tablets but the price puts us off as we would use it so seldom.

Thanks for any help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
so long as the tablet is able to get on the net then np with emails and anything else to do with the net

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would these small tablets pick up the internet and emails?

Thanks for any help

Big or small they all work the same way. Internet and emails, no problem. Reading a book, no problem except in sunlight.

Taking pictures, no problem.

The one thing that is a problem is backing up your digital camera on holiday, they don't have the capacity to store your picture collection.

They are a seriously good thing for MHers.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'd like one,come to think of it I'd like one for each of the kids too.If you think that's a bit cheeky one will do as I'm sure your not made of money.::bigsmile:
Pm me for address and postcode .

Vlad.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
tablet

so long as the tablet is able to get on the net then np with emails and anything else to do with the net

Have looked on ebay and certainly there seem to be quite a lot for sale - new from £39 - £50. They seem to be Android whatever that is, Is that just a brand name? (Said Iwas a numpty with the newer technology.)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They seem to be Android whatever that is

There are three type off tablet.

Apple - of course, but you do everything in the way Apple tells you to do it. Costly.

Android - a system launched by Google. They more or less give the software away so the tablets are cheaper and you choose what you want to do with it.

Windows - new kid on the block - so far behind the other two it's doomed to failure.

For £39 will go well with your Blue Nun, cheap and may or may not be cheerful.

Around £70 you'll find a reasonable one. Make sure it's Android 4.

Acer and similar brand names will probably have better quality control.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
tablet

There are three type off tablet.

Apple - of course, but you do everything in the way Apple tells you to do it. Costly.

Android - a system launched by Google. They more or less give the software away so the tablets are cheaper and you choose what you want to do with it.

Windows - new kid on the block - so far behind the other two it's doomed to failure.

For £39 will go well with your Blue Nun, cheap and may or may not be cheerful.

Around £70 you'll find a reasonable one. Make sure it's Android 4.

Acer and similar brand names will probably have better quality control.

Thanks. That's really helpful. I'll pretend I didn't see the bit about Blue Nun. By the way - it's no longer cheap - just gone up to over £5 in Tesco. I've had to downgrade to Marquess de Leon at £3.99.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had a play with a bunch of Android tablet now while working out the details of my App. I have come to a conclusion.

If it runs Android 4 or later for me I would want 2GB of system ram and a quad core processor running at least 1.4GHz.

Some of the dual core ones could get jerky and there were pauses when trying to use that became frustrating for me. 1GB of memory is too low as well. With only 1GB you will find that Apps have to be shut down and swapped out a lot which slows things down further.

Just my opinion. that being said I couldn't find one any cheaper than this with Quad core and 2GB.
Link Removed

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Not so amazing really but around last Xmas the anti Apple Brigade were raving about how the blackberry playbook could do everything the iPad could do and now one by one there failing, the apple, a bit pricey, but just keeps on going and just, works!!, the iPad mini comes within the price range of some of the others and as I've just said, they just work :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was really happy with my playbook. However I got a Galaxy Note 2 and found I wasn't using the playbook so it went to my brother in law who is well happy.

I still think the playbook was a bargain...

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I was really happy with my playbook. However I got a Galaxy Note 2 and found I wasn't using the playbook so it went to my brother in law who is well happy.

I still think the playbook was a bargain...

Yup Grommet, as Carol posted today, her playbook has broke and fair do's to PC world, because it can't be repaired/replaced they gave her a credit note, she's now gone for the ipad mini, clever girl:winky:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Looks a great tablet, seriously good screen.

But no GPS :Sad: that means no navigation.

I have an ipad (JB), no sim just wireless so no GPS, downloaded an app called GPS, put TomTom on it works fine once you connect a portable GPS to it. So maybe the same with this bit of kit.

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
The one thing that is a problem is backing up your digital camera on holiday, they don't have the capacity to store your picture collection.

Not sure I agree with Brian here (which makes a change!). You can store over 300 pictures @ 3 MB each pic per Gigabyte. Even an 8 GB tablet, probably using less than 2 GB for the system and apps, would give a capacity of nearly 2000 pics. Not sure how many pictures others take on their travels but I have never managed that.

When you are connected to Wifi you can upload your pictures to the Cloud (if the connection is quick enough). What I found it useful for was choosing which were the good pictures and editing those that needed it.

Steve

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure I agree with Brian here (which makes a change!). You can store over 300 pictures @ 3 MB each pic per Gigabyte.
Steve

My laptop has 20,000+ pictures taking up 70GB. It has a card slot that I can use to transfer from the camera memory. You just can't do that with a tablet, yet.

On holiday I even carry a USB hard drive so I have two physical copies of the photographs.

When I get home they are transferred to two different PCs. And one of those PCs is kept backed up onto a 2TB USB hard drive.

I totally reject this "cloud", I'm surprised the name does not put people off, clouds blow away. I want my data where I can touch it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'll pretend I didn't see the bit about Blue Nun. By the way - it's no longer cheap - just gone up to over £5 in Tesco. I've had to downgrade to Marquess de Leon at £3.99.

On the Mosel we were paying €5 a bottle at the vineyards. Proper job wine. It's what MHs are made for.

We've driven right through the Rioja region many times now and never bought any, a mistake I must correct.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
raving about how the blackberry playbook could do everything the iPad could do and now one by one there failing

Just to clarify, they are not Android tablets though similar so do not belong in this thread.

I don't know a thing about iPad and it's reliability. My SIL has one, I've used it and could not fault it in use. Just the price and the Apple straitjacket put me off.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just to clarify, they are not Android tablets though similar so do not belong in this thread.

I don't know a thing about iPad and it's reliability. My SIL has one, I've used it and could not fault it in use. Just the price and the Apple straitjacket put me off.

I've just changed from using an Iphone and Ipad. I love the flexibility my new Nexus 4/7 gives me - much freer and so much more accessibility to control files etc. But because I can compare the two systems, In my opinion I have to say that when it comes down to pure usability the Iphone/Ipad has the edge despite Apple's Control.

Rob

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
try a archos 101 this is the tablet that i bought and paid £44 for it you can get the 8gig 1 on ebay for around £65 and with a 10" screen its great

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
But because I can compare the two systems, In my opinion I have to say that when it comes down to pure usability the Iphone/Ipad has the edge despite Apple's Control.

Rob

Apple only have control of the ipad until you jailbreak it then you put what you like on it. ::bigsmile:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Apple only have control of the ipad until you jailbreak it then you put what you like on it. ::bigsmile:

I know - mine were jailbroken until I inadvertently upgraded to latest IOS system. No jailbreak is available for 6.3.1 unfortunately :Sad:

Rob

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I know - mine were jailbroken until I inadvertently upgraded to latest IOS system. No jailbreak is available for 6.3.1 unfortunately :Sad:

Rob

Like to say that in the past I haven't ...but I did upgrade once before the JB was out, never again!

You broke rule 1.....Still at least you know that you won't do it again! :Smile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
My laptop has 20,000+ pictures taking up 70GB. It has a [HI]card slot that I can use to transfer from the camera memory. You just can't do that with a tablet, yet[/HI].

On holiday I even carry a USB hard drive so I have two physical copies of the photographs.

When I get home they are transferred to two different PCs. And one of those PCs is kept backed up onto a 2TB USB hard drive.

I totally reject this "cloud", I'm surprised the name does not put people off, clouds blow away. I want my data where I can touch it.

Look on EBay, loads of camera kit adapters for iPads , £2 to £3, takes 5 different types of memory card and a USB port, works well on my ipad:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back