France Trip! Advice sought. (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, I posted this on the other forum and it ended up being a wasted effort (IMO) so I thought I would try here.

We have a 3 week holiday at the end of August and are travelling down to Marseillan Plage.

I want to build some flexibility into my plan and also visit some must see places whilst there and on our return to Calais.

My plan is to spend up to a week on a campsite at Marseillan Plage soaking up the rays and consuming a large amount of wine, then spend perhaps a 2-3 day visit to Collioure. (If the stay at the camp site does not meet out expectations we will depart for Collioure earlier, giving us more time.

Leaving Collioure we will do part of the Tarn Gorge spending the night at Mende then head for Bort les Orgues and spend the next night here. (Not a lot of driving between some of these stops to enable us to enjoy the local area.

Next stop is Oradour–Sur–Glane (overnight stop) and then on to Chateaudun (next to cathedral) for next overnight stop and finaly onto Fort Mahon Plage before catching ferry on 21st.

I estimate we will arrive at Fort Mahon Plage on or around the 16th/17th and we would like to stay a minimum of two nights here which means I have another 2 full days I can use.

I would welcome your advice on must see places during our trip that are on my route or very close to it.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
The dark side perhaps !!!

Hi, I posted this on the other forum and it ended up being a wasted effort (IMO) so I thought I would try here.

We have a 3 week holiday at the end of August and are travelling down to Marseillan Plage.

I want to build some flexibility into my plan and also visit some must see places whilst there and on our return to Calais.

My plan is to spend up to a week on a campsite at Marseillan Plage soaking up the rays and consuming a large amount of wine, then spend perhaps a 2-3 day visit to Collioure. (If the stay at the camp site does not meet out expectations we will depart for Collioure earlier, giving us more time.

Leaving Collioure we will do part of the Tarn Gorge spending the night at Mende then head for Bort les Orgues and spend the next night here. (Not a lot of driving between some of these stops to enable us to enjoy the local area.

Next stop is [HI][HI]Oradour–Sur–Glane (overnight stop)[/HI][/HI] and then on to Chateaudun (next to cathedral) for next overnight stop and finaly onto Fort Mahon Plage before catching ferry on 21st.

I estimate we will arrive at Fort Mahon Plage on or around the 16th/17th and we would like to stay a minimum of two nights here which means I have another 2 full days I can use.

I would welcome your advice on must see places during our trip that are on my route or very close to it.

Thanks in advance.

The aire there is very sloping !! I stayed at Parcverger just down the road ! Bob and Di are funsters and give a discount ! Also a good little bar/restaurant in the village !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Can I advise you to look at Neuvic, a few kilometres West of Bort les Orgues which is a bit of a letdown.

We stayed a couple of weeks ago at a delightful small campsite - Camping Champ Pigeonnaire - right on the edge of the lake. A lovely spot, and only 9 euro's a night, but no electric. There are 2 other campsites there, but we liked the look of CCP best, and we were not disappointed. The nearby village is wonderful, and there is a big supermarche just outside the village. A nice little nine hole golf course - I broke my 6 iron.......:cry::cry::cry:

A nice little lakeside restaurant 200 metres away, if you go, say HI to Pippa....::bigsmile:

Great walks and cycles in the area, and check out the gorges of the Haute Dordogne

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
id be tempted to do the gorge du tarn on the way down then back up through carcasonne after the beach . depending how big you rig is we love to wander around the surounding villages to the tarn

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, Can you provide more details about the campsite. I am unable to find it on Google maps or the internet.

Thanks.

Found it ! I would have changed our plan slightly and moved here but the campsite closes end of August.

Thanks anyway.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We visited Carcassonne last month and were very impressed, headed back up via Millau, very scenic. Can recommend Camping de la Citie at Carcassonne, within walking distance of the citadel.

Bill

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Last year we stopped in the aire at Collioure which is at the top of a hill and is shared with car parking. There's a regular free minibus shuttle service - if you stop there just show them your parking ticket. The seaside village is pleasant and well-presented - busy but not over commercial. We only spent a day there before moving on as we prefer more spacious beaches. There are boat trips from the harbour, and the citadel is worth a look round. There's a suitably bustling market there too.

The village of Lagrasse (including the abbey) is worth a stop while you're down that way, and if you've never been to Carcassonne it's a good detour to make. Both allow overnight MH parking in their respective parking areas, but Carcassonne last August was hotter than Hades. Our outside thermometer clocked 50 degrees C outside the van at one point, and 40 degrees inside it during daytime. The recent TV adaption of 'Labyrinth' used both places as filming locations.

There's mapped panoramic views of all three aires in the signature link to Panoramio below.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Last year we stopped in the aire at Collioure which is at the top of a hill and is shared with car parking. There's a regular free minibus shuttle service - if you stop there just show them your parking ticket. The seaside village is pleasant and well-presented - busy but not over commercial. We only spent a day there before moving on as we prefer more spacious beaches. There are boat trips from the harbour, and the citadel is worth a look round. There's a suitably bustling market there too.

The village of Lagrasse (including the abbey) is worth a stop while you're down that way, and if you've never been to Carcassonne it's a good detour to make. Both allow overnight MH parking in their respective parking areas, but Carcassonne last August was hotter than Hades. Our outside thermometer clocked 50 degrees C outside the van at one point, and 40 degrees inside it during daytime. The recent TV adaption of 'Labyrinth' used both places as filming locations.

There's mapped panoramic views of all three aires in the signature link to Panoramio below.

Many kind thanks, you may be interested to know it's now €15.00 per 24 hrs at the Collioure Aire. 40 Deg is too much for me! Other people have recommended Carcassonne and I'll stick it on my radar, if not this trip then definitely in future.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
advice

Next stop is Oradour–Sur–Glane (overnight stop) and then on to Chateaudun (next to cathedral) for next overnight stop and finaly onto Fort Mahon Plage before catching ferry on 21st.

Thanks in advance.

The Gorge du Tarn is beautiful (watch out for rocks overhanging the road!) and don't miss the semi-troglodyte village. I can't remember the name but I'm sure any tourist office would help - they'll give you a map of the gorge anyway which is useful. You can drive across the river but I don't recommend it (you'll see why). Park up by the river and walk up to the village. (No toilets or shops or people for that matter so at least take a bottle of water with you. )

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Parc verger

The aire there is very sloping !! I stayed at Parcverger just down the road ! Bob and Di are funsters and give a discount ! Also a good little bar/restaurant in the village !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

I also recommend Bob and Di 's site

Booked in for a few days and stayed a week. :thumb::thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Found it ! I would have changed our plan slightly and moved here but the campsite closes end of August.

Thanks anyway.

That's a shame, but this one just around the corner is open till the end of Nov
Link Removed

It didn't have the same open aspect as the other site, but it's still a great spot to be.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We visited Carcassonne last month and were very impressed, headed back up via Millau, very scenic. Can recommend Camping de la Citie at Carcassonne, within walking distance of the citadel.

Bill

We stayed at that site last August for one night.

It's a pleasant walk into the City but be warned - in July and August the city is completely rammed. It is almost one big queue to get in and another to get out.

I would not visit again at this time of year. June or September is much better.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Just past Oradour Sur Glan there is a town called Brantome. It's a lovely old town with a large Aires (4E) situated next to the river very close to the town - about 5 min walk. Worth a stop if you have time.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Http://www.puydufou.com/en/
COLOR="Teal"]I'm getting boring now but if you are seeking 'must see places' I can thoroughly recommend Puy Du Fou, not far from Cholet. I am raving about it to everyone. :thumb:

It has a huge aire next to it.

Wyn
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Http://www.puydufou.com/en/
COLOR="Teal"]I'm getting boring now but if you are seeking 'must see places' I can thoroughly recommend Puy Du Fou, not far from Cholet. I am raving about it to everyone. :thumb:

It has a huge aire next to it.

Wyn
[/COLOR]

Thank you for your recommendation! I do appreciate people who take the time out to help me improve my journey. Unfortunately Puy Du Fou is nowhere near my destination or return route.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back