Solar Panels. Any cheaper than this? (1 Viewer)

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Am wanting to put solar panels on my van as I plan to spend most of the time around europe off site. Only just started motorhoming so have loads of questions which I am sure will sound daft to all the seasoned motorhomers!
Have seen advertised solar panels, 100watt for £440 for the panel and then the cost of extras to fit. The weight of the panel is 16k which is worrying me as I dont have a huge payload. Anybody know of any cheaper/lighter panels?
Thanks.

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
If you plan to spend time in Europe you might find the panels cheaper abroad.

I can recommend FF solar Aljezur Portugal they are on the west coast of Portugal.

I bought my solar panel from them ten years ago and it's still working very well.

I've not checked the prices lately so with the £/€ being what it is the panels might be cheaper in the UK.

Don

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Panels are a big investment, you really need to know the longest time you will be between hookups, if this is a week or less, you might save your self a lot of money by just having another battery or two fitted. If a little longer than a week you could buy a small 1kw generator to charge those batteries in an emergency. And of course a generator will charge your batteries whatever the weather, but you have to pay a price for this. there is of course the noise of a genny and you have to lug it and the fuel for it every where you go, this is too high a price for some.

If you are going to live in sunny climes, then once you have bought the panels, you can forget about them and they may well keep you relatively topped up all the time, Prices vary considerably and you really do need to shop around to find the best value.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I seem to remember from another life that Olley had sourced some solar panels and they seemed to be relatively inexpensive, but beware because my memory isn't what it used to be :thumb::thumb:

Keith

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I seem to remember from another life that Olley had sourced some solar panels and they seemed to be relatively inexpensive, but beware because my memory isn't what it used to be :thumb::thumb:

Keith
Don't worry about it Kieth, my memory's never been what it used to be. :Eeek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
:thumb:Hi Solitair, Sounds about right. I fit a 130 Watt panel with fitting kit (which contains everything you need) came to around £550 or so. Along wit that I installed a second battery and have never been on hook up since, infact I have just thrown the genny out into the garage. That makes me green powered.
Yes it is an expense but think of all the connection fees you are saving, soon adds up.

Best of luck what ever you decide.

Don

PS dont worry about "stupid" questions if yo read through the forum, thier are plenty.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Keith

Hi Keith I got them secondhand of grommet on facts at less than half price, 2x130watt plus controller all 1 year old. He was flogging off bits and pieces before he sold his van.

Olley

OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Thanks for all the info everyone, will spend a bit more time searching in case there is a better
bargain out there! What do you think about the weight though, is 16kg not a bit heavy?

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi Solitairwoman

I think Jim has made a very good description of the for and against of solar panels, I would suggest the same criteria to anyone considering solar panels, 12kg sounds about right for the weight of a 130w so an 85 w panel being smaller would be lighter, we do have sizes and weights on our web site for comparison.

nick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back