Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have some black and brown spots on the GRP bodywork of my MH and have had some success using Autoglym Tar etc Remover. But some won't budge. I can loosen some with my finger nail (I know that's not a great idea but it shows that they are removable) and then the Autoglym removes the rest...........sometimes!

I'm beginning to suspect that some are air-borne pollution as we appear to have them on our bins and on some plant leaves.

Anyone have an infallible suggestion?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I have some black and brown spots on the GRP bodywork of my MH and have had some success using Autoglym Tar etc Remover. But some won't budge. I can loosen some with my finger nail (I know that's not a great idea but it shows that they are removable) and then the Autoglym removes the rest...........sometimes!

I'm beginning to suspect that some are air-borne pollution as we appear to have them on our bins and on some plant leaves.

Anyone have an infallible suggestion?

You are correct! It is called Industrial Fallout. There are fall out removers, but the best solution is an acid bath. You really need an expert to do this, and someone who knows how to acid bath a car properly. Needs to be done in the cool, and not allowed to dry, put on, take off straight away. Need to double-glove too as it is hydrofluoric acid which soaks into your skins and eats your bones - the same as fallout remover, so you need to glove up for both - but do double glove - one set is not sufficient!

Once off, buff and polish - keep waxed every 4 weeks minimum and you will avoid all fall out/black streaks and flies will fall off.....you also find the dealer will give you more money come trade in!

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
You are correct! It is called Industrial Fallout. There are fall out removers, but the best solution is an acid bath. You really need an expert to do this, and someone who knows how to acid bath a car properly. Needs to be done in the cool, and not allowed to dry, put on, take off straight away. Need to double-glove too as it is hydrofluoric acid which soaks into your skins and eats your bones - the same as fallout remover, so you need to glove up for both - but do double glove - one set is not sufficient!

Once off, buff and polish - keep waxed every 4 weeks minimum and you will avoid all fall out/black streaks and flies will fall off.....you also find the dealer will give you more money come trade in!

Ooerr, sounds a bit drastic :whatthe: We're beginning to get somewhere, it's a team effort. The Autoglym Tar etc Remover has turned some to powder overnight and today. Many are now dissolving under water and washing up liquid. It's going to take a few more days of soaking and wiping, followed by your recommendation of a good polish methinks :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, John, have you tried the old faithfull WD40? cleans most sticky stuff, apply a few times and it should work. I have cleaned tar off before with it.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Industrial Fallout? Isn't that a trade union dispute? ::bigsmile:

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, John, have you tried the old faithfull WD40? cleans most sticky stuff, apply a few times and it should work. I have cleaned tar off before with it.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Yes I've heard about that Dave, but have yet to try it. The van was so clean I baulked at squirting oil on it.......but perhaps I'll give it a go tomorrow :winky:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Ooerr, sounds a bit drastic :whatthe: We're beginning to get somewhere, it's a team effort. The Autoglym Tar etc Remover has turned some to powder overnight and today. Many are now dissolving under water and washing up liquid. It's going to take a few more days of soaking and wiping, followed by your recommendation of a good polish methinks :thumb:

It isn't as drastic as you think! I would avoid leaving tar remover on there as it may stain or damage the gel coat as it is a solvent based product.

If you want to give the acid bath a go, follow these instructions;

GLOVE UP!

You can use alloy wheel cleaner (an acid, sometimes hydrofluoric, sometimes hydrochloric)

Have available - one clean cloth, One wet chamois (damp), Polish and cloth, razor blade.

1. Spray Acid onto clean cloth, make wet. Wipe over infected area

2. Wipe off quickly with damp chamois

3. Apply polish

3a (if stubborn, using weight of blade only, gently slide across mark on body)

4. Buff off polish immediately.

Done!:thumb:

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I should start by saying that I did wash to MH first and then discovered that these spots remained. The Autoglym was very disappointing, even on what was clearly fly/spider poo.

The key issue is that we had only wash/waxed previously and never did a full scale polish. So these deposits stuck well and hardened. It's doubtful that the Autoglym did much at all although a few spots did succumb, in part, to repeated applications.

The solution? A very strong solution of bio-washing up liquid and water applied with a dish washing sponge and occasionally a light rub with the rough side of the sponge.

Next job a thorough shampoo followed by a resin wax, applied by electric polisher, but first, the thunderstorms :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to seal the surface and give long lasting results I swear by MER as do some others on here:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back