DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
we are in rainy Kirkudbright with a red engine light on and a misfire which appears to be an injector or wiring fault.
It started with the light on but then after a few miles the misfire joined in, after stopping to check it out and fiddling with the injector wiring it cleared but soon returned.
It is a common fault according to t'interweb but can't seem to find anyone who has cured it themselves, plenty of talk about dealers replacing wiring harnesses at huge cost & one or two mentions of resoldered wires but no details.
Anyone?

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Hi, Prior to trading in my Autotrail for a caravan:RollEyes: I posted the following on the Fiat Ducato forum. I have since learnt that Fiat can supply longer leads for the fuel injectors costing approx £24 each and that the lead connectors are soldered onto the injector connectors.

Re: Injection Warning Light Constantly On

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This happened to me last month on my way to the eurotunnel, called out the AA who said the fault did not show up on their OBDII reader therefore could not fix it. Carried on to France firing intermittently on three cylinders and red fuel injection light on dash showing.
Called into a Fiat garage in a small village. the mechanic on hearing the engine said "This is a common problem with Ducato" He took off the plate covering the fuel injectors then he loosend the clamp holding the injector wires and gently pulled the wires towards the injectors to give them more slack, indicating that Fiat had made the wires too short. He then tightened the clamp, took the connection wire leading to No.4 fuel injector gave it a spray of something, replaced it on No4 fuel injector. replaced cover and that was it. Cost 29 euros. I have since travelled 900 miles to my holiday destination without a repeat of my earlier problem.
Tools used: two spanners to undo the bracket and a spray of some electrical cleaner. Time taken 20 minutes.

Ian

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Thanks for that.
Did you have a further/permanant repair?
Do you have a part No for the leads?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Hi, Got this info:
Re: Diesel injector pigtail connector for 2.8jtd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"
I've just fitted one of these to Hymer B584 according to the parts man at Fiat this part No 1350885080 N/STK Cable Harness this is for a 2004/2005 Ducato 2.8JTD, however it fitted my camper. Just to make sure we are talking about the same fault mine was the injector warning coming on and the engine reverting to limp home mode. The plug supplied is identical to the original plug but with crimp cable connections it's a simple fix just watch the cables, the replacement cables are red & white, on my vehicle they are both white with numbers on. The replacement allows for extra cable length thereby getting over the problem of tight cables on No 1 & 4 injectors. Interestingly my fault was detected on No 2 injector. Each plug/cable is sold separately at £24 each, now that I've fitted one as a test I will be replaing the other three".

I obtained this info from the "Fiat Ducato Forum" and was an avid reader of it before selling my MH.

When my MH was fixed by the french vehicle mechanic I travelled in excess of 2000 miles without further problems. On the way down to Folkestone I had to call the AA out twice and they could not fix the problem. Their OBDII readers showed no faults!!

Ian

Last edited:
OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Hi, Got this info:
Re: Diesel injector pigtail connector for 2.8jtd

"
I've just fitted one of these to Hymer B584 according to the parts man at Fiat this part No 1350885080 N/STK Cable Harness this is for a 2004/2005 Ducato 2.8JTD, however it fitted my camper. Just to make sure we are talking about the same fault mine was the injector warning coming on and the engine reverting to limp home mode. The plug supplied is identical to the original plug but with crimp cable connections it's a simple fix just watch the cables, the replacement cables are red & white, on my vehicle they are both white with numbers on. The replacement allows for extra cable length thereby getting over the problem of tight cables on No 1 & 4 injectors. Interestingly my fault was detected on No 2 injector. Each plug/cable is sold separately at £24 each, now that I've fitted one as a test I will be replaing the other three".

I obtained this info from the "Fiat Ducato Forum" and was an avid reader of it before selling my MH.

When my MH was fixed by the french vehicle mechanic I travelled in excess of 2000 miles without further problems. On the way down to Folkestone I had to call the AA out twice and they could not fix the problem. Their OBDII readers showed no faults!!

Ian

Thanks for that, contacted the dealer who then told me according to my chassis No. that I had a 2.0 engine not a 2.8:ROFLMAO:
So they double checked with Fiat, and yes, I do have a 2.8 but that part will not fit mine.
instead I will need a complete engine harness at at cost of £480 plus vat, & as the new modified harness was not compable with a sensor, I will need a new sensor at a cost of £80 plus vat. Where do they get these prices from? At these rates if you bought a camper in parts it would cost about £2,000,000.:Eeek:
So, being a tight wad I said I'll take a chance and buy the repair piece anyway at a cost of about £25. It's now fitted & seems to be running OK so fingers crossed for France next week.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as a last resort i would have cut the wires and splice an extra piece in using a soldering iron and shrink sleeving.

no way would i pay £576 for an extra couple of inchs of wire.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as a last resort i would have cut the wires and splice an extra piece in using a soldering iron and shrink sleeving.

no way would i pay £576 for an extra couple of inchs of wire.

just having a think about the above......

the majority of todays mechanics, or should i say technicians, wouldnt have the forethought, or ability, to do that.

todays 'technicians' are nothing more than computer literate fitters.....computer says its that so fit a new one. :Angry:

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
It seems it wasn't caused by being too short but a bad connection.
It appears to be number 2 that was the problem & I cut open the old one to find one of the connectors was blackened, surely not caused by arcing?

Broken Link Removed

New piece is shown alongside, wires are a different colour but connected red to orange as it was the nearest match:roflmto:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09

todays 'technicians' are nothing more than computer literate fitters.....computer says its that so fit a new one. :Angry:

And keep replacing until computer says "stop". Racking up your bill in the mean time.
I've often considered going back to running a low tech vehicle.
Whilst newer vehicles are more reliable the added sophistications, usually emissions related, seem to be the main source of most problems.

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Just a quick update.
Many thanks for all of your help/input.
Replaced the connector on No 2 injector before leaving for France.
Despite being told by the dealer that it would not work on my engine, we have done 900 miles so far without a miss.:roflmto:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I am afraid parts departments and 'technicians' (fitters) only see what the computer says, and cannot fathom anything else.

I have it all the time, only yesterday I ordered an ESP switch for a customers car (VW) The nearest dealer was an Audi dealer - Popped in and asked for an ESP switch. They wouldn't sell me one, claiming that it wouldn't fit an VW. I told them it was a generic 4 pin switch which is the same throughout the VAG group. They looked at me blankly, shrugged their shoulders and asked 'What does it do, anyway?'

I then went to VW, was asked for reg/chassis. Told them it wasn't needed, just an 02 ESP switch for a Golf would do as they are generic. They said they couldn't do anything without a vin number. After telling the parts man how to type in '2002 golf ESP switch' into the general search box of their parts program - up it pops on his screen. 'Oh yes, that is a generic switch, so I suppose it is the same':Doh:

Common sense is getting rare these days! Glad you are back on the road anyway!:thumb:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
This is going a bit off topic but thought I'd add my 2 penneth :) The reason that these tech guys are not what we think of being 'proper' mechanics and why they just do what the computer tells them is all to do with arse covering.

Imagine in your Audi/VW example that the guy sold you what you told him was right and what he had no idea was right/wrong. You go fit it, it's wrong and you crash/burn/die (I know, it is nigh on totally impossible but I'm making an extreme example!) your family go to sue the parts guy personally and the company sheds all responsibility because they have a very expensive computer system which tells the parts man how to do his job. He chose to ignore that and look what happened.

It's a sorry state of affairs I tell ye! :(

M (glad he doesn't have a JTD)

Aug 10, 2018
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 680
Exp
Im a Newbie
Hi, Prior to trading in my Autotrail for a caravan:RollEyes: I posted the following on the Fiat Ducato forum. I have since learnt that Fiat can supply longer leads for the fuel injectors costing approx £24 each and that the lead connectors are soldered onto the injector connectors.

Re: Injection Warning Light Constantly On

This happened to me last month on my way to the eurotunnel, called out the AA who said the fault did not show up on their OBDII reader therefore could not fix it. Carried on to France firing intermittently on three cylinders and red fuel injection light on dash showing.
Called into a Fiat garage in a small village. the mechanic on hearing the engine said "This is a common problem with Ducato" He took off the plate covering the fuel injectors then he loosend the clamp holding the injector wires and gently pulled the wires towards the injectors to give them more slack, indicating that Fiat had made the wires too short. He then tightened the clamp, took the connection wire leading to No.4 fuel injector gave it a spray of something, replaced it on No4 fuel injector. replaced cover and that was it. Cost 29 euros. I have since travelled 900 miles to my holiday destination without a repeat of my earlier problem.
Tools used: two spanners to undo the bracket and a spray of some electrical cleaner. Time taken 20 minutes.

Ian
Hi Ian
Just like to say thank you for this post, we are touring in Spain at the moment and I had the same symptoms that you described . I copied your post , translated in google translator and gave it to the Fiat Mechanic in Jaka, He went straight to it and did exactly what Papa John said he would do and got a new connector and soldered it in with heat shrink sleeving. The part was 17 euro and 36 euros for their labour.
Back on the road again now , so thanks for the info
Lance

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
we are in rainy Kirkudbright with a red engine light on and a misfire which appears to be an injector or wiring fault.
It started with the light on but then after a few miles the misfire joined in, after stopping to check it out and fiddling with the injector wiring it cleared but soon returned.
It is a common fault according to t'interweb but can't seem to find anyone who has cured it themselves, plenty of talk about dealers replacing wiring harnesses at huge cost & one or two mentions of resoldered wires but no details.
Anyone?

What yeAr are you ?

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
WE had a similar problem with our 2.8jtd and again it didnt show up on the AA mans computer but it was solved by replacing an injector cap. It happened again after about a year. I now carry a spare cap but of course Touch Wood I have never needed it. I understood that one wire opens the injector whilst the other one tells the computer whats going on and if the connections are not good, perhaps because a wire is too short it gets confused shuts down.
Very true about common sense in garages, they seem to have grown out of it
Mike & Ann

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back