To add to the debate on tyre age (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Article in BBC News website reporting on the inquest into three people who died when a coach left the road on the A3 reports that a "tyre expert" said that a tyre which punctured on the coach was "almost 20 years old", and that
'recommendations from manufacturers said tyres should not be[HI] fitted to cars[/HI] if they are six years old, and should be [HI]replaced if they are 10 years old.[/HI]
He said that this was not a legal requirement and that it [HI]did not apply to coaches or lorries[/HI], which was "frustrating".'

Looking up details on Google about the tyre expert David Price reveals his website here

Not for me to comment - but there appears to be other opinions out there.

Steve

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
There will always be other opinions out there Steve.

Personally I change mine on 5 years, small price to pay IMHO.

I know all too well the damage left by a blow out, and why a coach would have 20 year old tyres on baffles me, especially with the milage they do.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Mine wear out at about 4 years.

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We had to change our Pirellis due to cracking sidewalls. On a 10-plate van!
To be fair, though, the tyres were dated week 11 of 2008. The chassis had probably been at the Trigano factory for a year before being converted. A further year would have been spent on the gravel at Stowmarket Caravans before we gave the MH and new home!:Eeek:

Still bloody expensive for 6 tyres at once though! At least we have upgraded to m+s and are allowed into the German and Swiss Alps in winter, if it takes our fancy!:thumb:

Good advice from Haggers though! Do you really want the hassle, and potential danger, of a blowout during your holiday? Its not just the tyre that gets shredded, your expensive fibreglass skirts will get damaged too!

BTW, with all the controversy surrounding the deaths in the Brecon Beacons, I wondered why Paul hasn't applied for 21 SAS! I reckon he's fit enough and at the peak of his game! I'm sure he can run with the weight, it is rumoured he has needed to carry Nikki back to the van on more than one occasion after visiting Bruno!::bigsmile:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
pennypinching and using old secondhand tyres has caused the deaths here. i hope that the coach firm gets charged with manslaughter. they gambled with the lives of their passengers, employees and other road users, just to save money

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There will always be other opinions out there Steve.

Personally I change mine on 5 years, small price to pay IMHO.

I know all too well the damage left by a blow out, and why a coach would have 20 year old tyres on baffles me, especially with the milage they do.

my thoughts as well Paul.

a tour coach may cover 1/4million miles or more a year...cant see any tyre lasting 20 years with that sort of mileage.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
This is what the tyre fitter found when we changed our 7 year old tyres this spring, very alarming.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 55

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That was very lucky indeed - about to let go, by the looks of it. Did you do the lottery that week?

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
This is what the tyre fitter found when we changed our 7 year old tyres this spring, very alarming.
I'm surprised it didn't fail the last MOT cos it must have been like that for a while, or getting worse as time went on

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Anyone in the transport industry knows that many heavy goods and PSV vehicles run on Remould tyres. The casings are always X-rayed before a new tread is put on then cured. It can be very old and there can be numerous reasons for a tyre to fail including foreign bodies on the road. It was stated that Concorde suffered a similar fate with debris on the runway. Maybe there should be a law banning remould tyres on public transport and ADR road tankers, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
No, we should have done the lottery that week. We didn't know about the age of tyres, sun damage etc until reading on this forum.

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I'm surprised it didn't fail the last MOT cos it must have been like that for a while, or getting worse as time went on

You really would think so wouldn't you. Colin was fuming when he came home and I showed him the photos, the van had only been though the MOT a few weeks earlier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back