How do you clean Thetford cassette? (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Having just completed an extended trip we will soon begin the task of making the van shipshape and tidy ready for the next trip..... hopefully very soon.

How do you clean/disenfect/sanitise your Thetford cassette? Should we treat fresh and waste water tanks similarly?

Can you fill with bleach solution or other cleaning agent and stand to soak for a while? Is bleach solution harmful to the cassette unit? Advice please.

Regards, Bryan

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I have been told NOT to use bleach it will damage the cassette seals, a pal used bleach and the cassette sweld up, I just use disinfectant with no bleach it cleans and smells better. Pete

Ps
For the grey tank I put a couple of 2 ltr bottles of cheap coke in it brings a lot of dirt out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I tried the thetford cassette cleaner, and it worked well. I did this because there seemed to be a lot of hard deposits around the inside of the tank, this cleaner did dislodge most of it.

I guess I would only do this after an extended trip, normally I just rinse with water and usual toilet fluid.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with Peter....bleach should not be used.

Half fill with very Hot water and a 1/4 cup of dishwasher powder, give it a good shake for a few minutes.
Empty out and rinse.

Should be spotless inside..

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I believe Thetford do their own cleaner but they also say you can fill up with warm water and add 400g of bicarbonate of soda and leave 24 hrs works on grey tanks as well, Havn't tried it yet as ours is in use every day, as for fresh water tanks we just fill up and add white vinegar for the same time this also helps descale the boiler.
Bleach is a definite no no, it can destroy the seals as well as make the plastic brittle and in some cases turn the white plastic brown, not only this but it can cause some chemicals to leach out of the water hose used in most conversions

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I use Thetford Cassette Cleaner which works well although sometimes requires a second application.

I also give it a brush out with Joyce's tooth brush but please don't tell her as she may not approve.:winky:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thetford

A quick swish out with water and leave a bit of blue in.

If limescale builds up in there, take it outside, empty it and add a couple of pints of cheap vinegar and some warm water. Leave overnight outside. (don't forget it is not in the usual place though if you get up for a tiddle!)

Russell

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I cleaned mine out with 2 Litres of whisky, brought a lot of drunks out. (Filtered first obviously)

goondaan

Free Member
Jan 4, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
Tugger
Exp
Thetford toilet cleaning

Hi all,

2L of coke a cola put into the cassette then drive 10 miles over bumpy road rinse well and you are left with a supper clean cassette please don't use bleach as this will trash the seals.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Buy a spare cassette then you can rotate them.

Have one spotlessly clean and the other full of sewage.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Thetford cassette

We use water and a drop of blue. Bio washing detergent worked very well in our waste water tank. It was draining very slowly - now it rushes out.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the tips, sure one of them will do the trick. Consensus seems to be that bleach is a big no, no. Glad I asked cos that was going to be my first option:Doh:

Regards, Bryan

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Surely you throw them away after use & buy new :winky:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I've never even emptied it:Blush: but I've seen what Ralph does.
But , we use the proper blue stuff , made for the cassettes .
Ralph just tips everything out. Puts water in shakes it about bit. Empties that.
Puts some more blue stuff in and shoves it back in the door at the back of the loo.
It doesn't smell , and we empty it every day. Even if there are just the two of us away in the van.
AND yes we do poo in our loo:roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use bio washing liquid whilst away rather than the "proper stuff". I empty and rinse the cassette every day. I usually use a garden hose on the cassette after every trip but that isn't guaranteed to shift everything from the nooks and crannies in the opening/closing mechanism.

Today, after returning from a two week trip I hosed it out as usual then took off the seal &c so that I could clean all those parts with toilet wipes and get inside to use wipes on the mechanism. Once I had put it back together I poured a bucket of hot water into it with a (large Lidl bottle) cap full of bio washing liquid. I then gave it a good shake and emptied it before rinsing with the hose again.

Seems to be clean now :Smile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Once a year we clean both our cassettes with Thetford cassette cleaner and then spray the seals with Thetford silicone spray-it works :thumb:

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back