Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
2 years
Hello everyone I haven't been on here for a while!! We wondered if anyone could give us some advice. Up to this year we were storing our motorhome at a site not too far away. As the prices kept creeping up each year we decided to move it to our drive. We live on an estate and have a shared drive which leads to our own drive. We have the motorhome on our drive outside the front of our house. Our neighbours have said a few things and have mentioned it obscures their view for getting of their property. This morning they were taking photographs of the motorhome after having another moan yesterday. If we parked it on the shared drive or the road it would cause more of a problem. Are we legally allowed to have it on our drive. I should imagine we can as it is our property!!
I don't like upsetting anyone but our neighbours are making it very uncomfortable !

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
You may need to check with you local council as there maybe a covenant on the property/estate stating no caravans/motorhomes or commercial vehicles to be permanently parked on your drive especially with a new (ish) built estate. We had the same problem a few years back where a covenant existed for 10 years after the roads had been adopted by the council.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sticking my neck out here but there may be a covenant on the deeds of your house, or a local byelaw forbidding caravans etc. being parked outside your property. My neighbours weren't happy with my caravans or my current motorhome but they don't seem to be willing, or able, to do much about it.

A legal friend of mine said that even if such covenants or byelaws exist they are difficult to enforce, remember, you can park a caravan on a CL for up to28 days, then move it. Covenants can be varied, you just have to prove they are restrictive.

Should your neighbour take action, it will cost them money. In response to our lot I just pointed oout that others in the street park their works transits on the drive and nobody bothers.

Best of luck, Bill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Unless there are some restrictive covenants then it may be OK. However, falling out with a neighbour could be much, much worse. It may sound obvious, but is there any way of talking to the, and trying for a compromise solution?

We were lucky - asked all the neighbours beforehand as we were extremely worried that there would be "issues" and the only problem was the guy next door decided he wanted one as well! They are now on their second van......... Not much consolation but the last thing we wanted was your situation.

Jaw, Jaw not war, war as Winston Churchill once said. The very best of luck with resolving this situation - don't let it fester. Cheers

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You MAY fall foul of any covenants that prevent caravans on estates - this was often put in by developers years ago, but is rarely enforced, and is often added because 'it always goes in deeds' rather for a particular reason.

Check your deeds for these - it may give the neighbour something to fight you with. They would get the council to do their work for them - so get the council on your side by asking them. They won't want a £600 bill for solicitors letter, just to get you to move your van!

On a similar note - you can legally put a caravan within you property without planning, so this may possibly be used as a means of keeping it there - even if you have to shove it on the grass - all depending on size/ access front or rear, and of course how desperately you want it there.

The best option would be negotiation though - always with these disputes, it is the best way - as talking is easier and cheaper to do early before it turns into a feud.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hello everyone I haven't been on here for a while!! We wondered if anyone could give us some advice. Up to this year we were storing our motorhome at a site not too far away. As the prices kept creeping up each year we decided to move it to our drive. We live on an estate and have a shared drive which leads to our own drive. We have the motorhome on our drive outside the front of our house. Our neighbours have said a few things and have mentioned it obscures their view for getting of their property. This morning they were taking photographs of the motorhome after having another moan yesterday. If we parked it on the shared drive or the road it would cause more of a problem. Are we legally allowed to have it on our drive. I should imagine we can as it is our property!!
I don't like upsetting anyone but our neighbours are making it very uncomfortable !
Have you thought about it from your neighbours point of view. If my neighbours parked a motorhome on a drive that I shared then I would be most upset. If you are blocking the normal view from their home then I think you should consider their feelings. Perhaps they don't want to see a large white box every time they look out of their window. If it were me I would return it to the safe storage and make everyone happy.:Eeek:

OP
OP
S

sandied

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
2 years
Thanks everyone for your help. I will get Ed to check the deeds etc.
Our housing estate is quite old but I will check with the council too. We have tried to reason with our neighbours and did move the van back quite a bit. I think they have started to complain again because we have been away recently and now the vans back they don't like it. They are not very easy at the best of times.
It wasn't long ago they were going to put up a six foot fence so I don't really see the difference as surely that would have obstructed their view just as much.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Why not offer to put the fence up? Might be cheaper in the long run..... Just an idea

Doesn't sound like an easy situation - hope it works out for you. Our deeds say no caravans (and that includes motorcaravans) and no chickens either, plus no hedges at the front. Well 30 years later, guess what everyone has??? We are lucky though as nobody is bothered about it.

Just about to go up the sailing club and get my boat - which is also excluded according to the covenants

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our street is motorhome heaven, getting more popular by the week. I could understand if it were on the shared drive but you shouldn't have any problems on your own drive. Jealous maybe?

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Iv only ever had one bad neighbour well he thought he was bad until they up set my wife then he had me to deal with soon moved out and when he sees me now he cross the road I was done for it but I would do the same now if anyone upset Lynn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back