Other half driving? (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Despite my OH having had a full licence for 40 years she is always reluctant to drive whenever we go out whether in car or MH.

Does your OH drive as a matter of course, do you have to bully her/him or do they flatly refuse on the grounds of (insert excuse here)?

Or wouldn't you let him/her anywhere near the bits that brake and steer?:helptitanic:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife drives the motorhome more than me.

And she is better at parking than me.

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
My wife drives the motorhome more than me.

And she is better at parking than me.

Is this man creeping to OH or what::bigsmile:

As for me - absolutely no chance of OH getting anywhere near driving seat (thankfully) ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
OH driving

I'll drive the car all the time but only do dual carriageways or motorways in the motorhome. Leave the country lanes/towns/clever bits to OH. Quite willing to drive on Continent but OH finds it too stressful having the traffic heading straight for him when I'm too close to central white line. Can't think why as I have to put up with it when he does it.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I do all the driving and since having the motorhome I have driven almost 40,000 miles mostly in France and Spain.
Alan is happy for me to drive and to be honest I am not a good passenger.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Other half is just as capable, and I trust her totally though I drive more often than not due to be being a terrible passenger - I get bored and start cleaning air vents and things!:ROFLMAO:

Frightened of the Size ladies?
God forbid it happening, but if your other half is taken ill? - who will drive? Better you learn when relaxed, than having to learn while worried about your other half - especially if in foreign climes, with all that stress.

Frightened of what she may do to it Gents?
You will be surprised of how good a driver even the most nervous will be with some guidance. If you have no driver, and have to rely on recovery then you will be on the back of a flatbed truck hitting every tree and low hanging branch on the way back, gaining more scratches than your other half would ever be capable of. Get her driving - it is important, especially if abroad!

Go for it ladies - you are just as capable as us men!

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
At the moment OH does all the driving with me just having odd try parking it on sites or on drive at home. OH looks terrified even when I mention trying to drive it although I drive the car at least half the time. Unfortunately I am not a very good passenger and I think he feels this reflects on my ability to drive MH! Eventually will pluck up courage as the thought of OH breaking a limb or becoming Ill while we are away is too frightening to contemplate .::bigsmile:

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
This is a difficult subject! Its a well known fact women are better drivers.

My wife cannot start the MH moving, she doesn't understand it is different to her automatic Mercedes, ie it's a big van with a clutch. She has managed to kangaroo jump it across a motorway service station parking, full revs and panic sets in so she takes all feet off. When she finally gets it going she manages to slow down so much to get to second it stops.

If I try to advise I get yelled at for criticising, she has been driving for 30 years etc etc.

I have given up trying, it's much less stress and afford just to do all the driving myself. The points above are really valid, illness etc, I just have to assume she cannot and will to drive it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I do most of it and dont mind really as i enjoy driving, Lorraine will take her turn if we are trying to do long distance in one day so i can have a rest. Although i cant normally relax with her driving :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: only joking she is a very good driver in straight lines:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I have always shared the drivingin this country but was a bit apprehensive about driving when abroad. Last year Robin was in plaster for 12 weeks and unable to drive for our planed trip to Holland, so I was forced to drive and wondered why I had been reluctant in the first place, except I am a better navigator than him!!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
There is one point that many may not have considered. While Jean has driven the m/h she does not wish to do so. When renewing the insurance she had her name taken off the policy. The reason being if I were incapable for any reason she fears the insurers would expect her to drive home and she would not want to do so. As it is she sees the onus being on them to get us home. She simply would not contemplate driving from the south of France back to the uk.

Wyn

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
My husband drives a car with an automatic gearbox and, as our trusty Talbot is manual, I drive it all the time. Guess who has just pranged his car when his foot slipped off the brake on to the accelerator and he hit a bollard with some force?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Slightly off topic but may help someone as I know this crops up now and again.

Be aware that if you have your partner listed on your insurance, "just in case they ever want a go", but you know they will never drive.
Imagine you are away abroad and something happens and you cant drive.
Your insurance company would expect the other named driver to drive the motorhome back to UK, after all they are insured and have a license.!!

However if you take your partner off then insurance will cover re-patriation.

Just something to think about..

I have asked Irene many times to try driving the van but she wont, so I removed her from insurance after hearing issues with above...

WHoops.. Just seen Wynandjeans post.... same thing..

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Lyn, my wife drives anything. These were taken the last time we towed a RIB RV combo down to the South of France which is exactly what we are doing Wednesday week!

Remember ladies, if you make your partner drive all the way, he could get tired and make mistakes! Loose your fear not your life:Eeek:

It does make me laugh when men with tiny vans give Lyn "driving tips" when people find out that she does the driving.

I love being driven in the van, ice cold Stella, feet up reading a gripping novel. Much better nowadays with truck navigation to avoid interrupting the book at a "crucial" moment to look at the map.

She drives too fast though as far as I am concerned and strangely she thinks that I drive too fast, yet in reality neither of us speed, it's just perception :roflmto:

Having said all of that, we used to toss a coin to see who "would" drive, now we toss a coin to see who "doesn't have to" drive:ROFLMAO:

Eddie

Attachments

• Lyn driving.jpg
    Lyn driving.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 52
  • holiday 04 208.jpg
    holiday 04 208.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 40

adds666

Free Member
Jul 13, 2013
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Fulltiming Since May 2013
Kerry is a named driver on the policy but she never drove the blue Transit.

Now we have the, larger, coach built transit she wants to have a go!

Whilst a bit apprehensive I'm all for her driving. We have done some long days on the road to meet time constraints and I have taken the brunt of it. With her driving, even on motorways, it would relieve the pressure.

We are headed to County Durham from the South East on Friday. Maybe she will want to be put to the test then?! I shall report back!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I can understand those that have partners that do not want to drive - that is fine, so long as you are comfortable with consequences of that.

I would not want my other half stuck on a motorway in Spain for example, if I were carted off to Hospital with a suspect heart attack. Weird thing to think of, but the heat and we are mostly getting older - I need to be prepared for these things. They are not the safest places at the best of times, but leaving her for a few hours roadside I would never expect her to do - at least be able to drive to a safe place.

If that were to happen, I know she would want to be with me/visit hospital as she would be worried sick - no loan car if she is not on insurance, no staying in the area, no following the ambulance to the hospital - she would be relayed home with the van. So I am in hospital, o/h would be stuck on a long a tedious relay-run back home, changing trucks every so many miles, all in a foreign country where she may not be comfortable. Both would be worried sick about each other.

I know that my o/h wouldn't want that situation, she has said so - you know your o/h's and what they want. So long as they are happy with the probable, then that is fine. But ensure you know what will happen through your insurers when you take out the policy if you are going to rely on them.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My wife has always done her share of driving. The only vehicles she wouldn't drive,when we had them,were my Land Rover,Wagon and motorbike. In fact her sharing the driving helps us cover greater distances and saves time.

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
I do all the driving only because Jan does not drive, we just take a little more time and rest stops on long journeys.:Smile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
NO.

She says it far too big for her to handle.

It is a popular saying in our house as well :Blush::ROFLMAO:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Rainbow chaser raises some interesting points. Can anyone tell us of experience aas to what actually happens in either situation?

Wyn

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
"Too big to drive"

"But it is the same size as the last van which you drove - even in France"

"Too big anyway"

Motorways only and then only when coerced. Just as well I like driving......... It was never going to be a discussion that I was going to win

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting - Mrs E has no desire whatsoever to drive the van. She did try it after I'd persuaded her to give it a go, but does not want to do it again. Fair enough, I like driving and a pressed man or woman is not a good idea when it comes to driving, I think. But I've wondered what the score would be if I was incapacitated whilst abroad, in particular. As others have said, taking her off the insurance could be the answer. But it seems a bit of a nuclear option - could the insurance company really force her to drive the thing home against her will? Real-life experiences welcomed!

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I drive on average 50k a year for work and also all the driving in the motorhome, Jane would like to drive the motorhome but doesn't like road works, tunnels, night driving:Doh:
good job she only works 5 mins from home (but still drives her car in):RollEyes:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I suppose if abroad, the other half could have 'forgotten' her licence, which she would be required to keep with her to drive the vehicle.

Then the insurers could force her into anything! It is an interesting point. I could see them refusing to cover costs (and you don't want that!) - not sure about forcing someone to drive that do not feel safe to do so. I wouldn't have thought they would be able to.

I have picked a man from Plymouth Ferry port (in this case his wife was the driver - he only had a bike licence) They had been skiing, and the inevitable had happened - not on the skis though - apparently coming down some steps in a cafe. She slipped a step, and broke her leg which had to be pinned. Cutting a long story short, he said he had been on the road 31 hours changing lorries every 2/3 hours or so. He couldn't wait to get back home, and he did spend most of the time talking to her on his mobile and trying to sleep on the back seat. So I have experienced that part - albeit it he was unlicensed for the vehicle in this case.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:winky::winky:
WHY SHOULD YOU NOT LET THE OTHER HALF DRIVE??? GET HER BEHIND THAT WHEEL AND KICK HER ARSE AND MAKE HER DRIVE.WHAT WOULD HAPPEN GOD FORBID IF YOU WERE WILD CAMPING, NO PHONE SIGNAL AND YOU HAD A STROKE OR HEART ATTACK OR SOMETHING ELSE THAT RENDERED YOU UNABLE TO DRIVE???????? GET THEM BEHIND THE WHEEL IT IS ONLY A PIECE OF METAL AFTER ALL AND CAN BE REPAIRED, THERE IS ONLY ONE OF YOU SO GET THEM ALL DRIVING!!!!!

OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
:winky::winky:
WHY SHOULD YOU NOT LET THE OTHER HALF DRIVE??? GET HER BEHIND THAT WHEEL AND KICK HER ARSE AND MAKE HER DRIVE.WHAT WOULD HAPPEN GOD FORBID IF YOU WERE WILD CAMPING, NO PHONE SIGNAL AND YOU HAD A STROKE OR HEART ATTACK OR SOMETHING ELSE THAT RENDERED YOU UNABLE TO DRIVE???????? GET THEM BEHIND THE WHEEL IT IS ONLY A PIECE OF METAL AFTER ALL AND CAN BE REPAIRED, THERE IS ONLY ONE OF YOU SO GET THEM ALL DRIVING!!!!!

You know how to treat the fairer sex don't you??
Incredibly 3 likes and from ladies, so they must like the strong domineering type!

My wife had always fancied driving a 40 ton artic.
I arranged an artic and an airfield for her 50th birthday.
She enjoyed the afternoon and reversing into the cones we had set up.

A friend and I watched a family turn up on a caravan site. The decision was made where to park, the female got into the car, mate and I settled down for a bit of entertainment, she reversed the caravan straight onto the spot much to our amazement.
Later my mate spoke to her and stated he was an HGV driver and was impressed by her skills.
Nothing to it she replied, she explained she drove the trunkers for the Royal Mail and could back lorries blind into some of the narrow PO depots.
So it just goes to show, never underestimate a woman...................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back