help frige not working (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
my frige has stoped working cheked all the usual thing's is it lighting flue dont know watt is wrong:cry:warm beer all weekend

Last edited:

geebee

Free Member
Jul 14, 2013
kent broadstairs
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
im a neebie
and mine!!oh and has anybody adapted there on board water tank to use an ordinary aqua roll as its a pain to have to keep getting a hose to fill up not to bad if your near a fill up point,so I don't know if there was a way of doing a conversion or is there a easy way ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
and mine!!oh and has anybody adapted there on board water tank to use an ordinary aqua roll as its a pain to have to keep getting a hose to fill up not to bad if your near a fill up point,so I don't know if there was a way of doing a conversion or is there a easy way ?

Why not just drive to the water point

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
my frige has stoped working cheked all the usual thing's is it lighting flue dont know watt is wrong:cry:warm beer all weekend
Our 3way fridge was working when we got on site one w/end we went for a drive, when we got back to site the fridge would not get cold on either 240 or gas. When I took it to work on the Monday plugged in fridge checked it later it was working. I think it was because the fridge wasn't level, it's been ok since. I make sure we are level now. It might solve your problem, lets hope so.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Our 3way fridge was working when we got on site one w/end we went for a drive, when we got back to site the fridge would not get cold on either 240 or gas. When I took it to work on the Monday plugged in fridge checked it later it was working. I think it was because the fridge wasn't level, it's been ok since. I make sure we are level now. It might solve your problem, lets hope so.

can a fridge really not work if not on level ground mine dont work sometimes when on gas so maybe thats the problem ?

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thanks for hijacking my thread [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
:cry:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Will turning the fridge upside down work someone has told me this will work
1 for how long
2 how long should I leave it before using it [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Not tried it but have read several times about turning the fridge upside down. It's always "overnight" or "for 24 hours" and then leave it for 24 hours. I also seem to remember that this work for fridges which have been stored not-on-the-level for an extended period.

Probably worth a try if you're able to get the fridge out. I don't think the absorption fridges can be re-gassed (for want of a better word) any more so if the refrigerant has gone then it's probably time for a new fridge. :-(

If it's lighting ok, does the flame stay alight? I did have a dodgy thermocouple which would light at first and then go out. If the gas is staying alight and you're happy that the van is level then that's about the limit of my technical ability :)

Last edited:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
can a fridge really not work if not on level ground mine dont work sometimes when on gas so maybe thats the problem ?
If not level when on gas the flame does not line up with the thermo thingie can't remember proper name sorry, but anyway the fridge proberbly won't work. When on electric if not level the solution lays to one side needing to much pressure to work it round the system so will not work. That's the theory anyway. Good luck.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We have a 2007 motor home and the fridge will not work unless it is level.

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012

There is a 12 volt outlet by our water inlet so you can use an aqua roll and a 12 volt submersible pump to deliver it into the fixed tank.

There is a water tight cap covering the socket when not in use (which is all the time for us)

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Did you say the gas was lighting cos it could just be crap on the jet, that stops the heat goin up thru the flue.:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp

Buy a waterin can I did after spottin Scotjims post on fillin his RV, works a treat.or buy an aquaro;; an a submersible pump with a 12 volt plug on.The watierng can takes less space.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
older dometics will not work if more than about 3 degrees out of level later ones its about 6

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fridge used in motorhomes or caravans is extremely simple in the way it operates. a heat source heats up a heat exchanger in the flue and causes the coolant to circulate. any mis alignment will reduce the effectiveness of the fridge as will any soot build up in the flue. similarly a weak flame caused by a part blocked jet will reduce the heat in the flue

providing the heat source is working correctly and is directly below or in contact with the flue, the issue is with the coolant inside the pipes.

turning the fridge over will cause the coolant to run to the other end and hopefully dislodge any sludge or air bubbles or air locks. that's why its recommended if you do invert the fridge you gently rock it occasionally to help the process. then leave to settle for 6 or more hours, prefferably overnight before putting it back upright and allowing to settle before reinstalling and using.

regassing is possible, but finding somebody able and prepared to do so is another matter in the uk. the older fridges use coolants that contain cfc's (chloro-fluoro-carbons) which are no longer used for environmental reasons. rules in other countries are different and therefore it makes finding somebody to regas your fridge easier

dont forget though, that the absorbsion fridge relies on a temperature difference between inside the flue and out and good airflow to work well. in really hot weather they dont work so well, so it can only cool by a few degrees from outside temperatures. its not a fault, its a design weakness caused by basic physics

not trying to baffle anyone with the science so have kept this description very basic so hope it helps

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i doubt very much that it's the coolant if was working last time out so turning the fridge probably won't do anything but waste your time..

I would go with out of level or dirt/rust in the burner tube theory.

As mitzimad said......3° out of plumb for older ones and 6° for newer ones

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
help fridge not working

Although it isn't working on gas you need to check that you have a good earth wire connection to the fridge, if it has then it might be the thermal coupling or a dirty jet and may need a new one. Clean out the flue at the same time.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i doubt very much that it's the coolant if was working last time out so turning the fridge probably won't do anything but waste your time..

I would go with out of level or dirt/rust in the burner tube theory.

As mitzimad said......3° out of plumb for older ones and 6° for newer ones
Unusual rolled out when I turned it upside down a marble wonder how that got there?
I did do some work a few weeks back the had vent cover off and grand children around
I wonder JAY :swear:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Bullseye? :Smile:

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
where did I see the thread about fitting extra fans on the fridge? I seem to remember it increases the efficiency a lot. Mine struggled at the weekend. Me choc ices were a bit soft!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
not the coolant then Bill. :roflmto:

If you had been on a site with Mo I could understand it.

Cos' Mo's lost his marbles :ROFLMAO:
It should work now but will have to let it sit for a bit till the coolant in the system settales tomorow me think

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
where did I see the thread about fitting extra fans on the fridge? I seem to remember it increases the efficiency a lot. Mine struggled at the weekend. Me choc ices were a bit soft!!
well mine dont have any fans so fitting a fan will that work and whare do you fit them?

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Someone came home from school and popped his head in to the van watt you doing I am fixing the fridge something got stuck in the flue pipe then he looked at the marble:Eeek: and sad that looks like …………………………………. Off in to see watt nannies is doing bye

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back