Onboard gas supply Problem Manchester Tank Systems (1 Viewer)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Onboard gas supply Problem Manchester Tank Systems
Came across fellow campers Roy and Sue (non Funsters as yet)
They have been full timing in their old Fleetwood RV for a number of years, got all the manuals but not a clue about mechanics, but learning as they go.

In Spain for four, years, and because gas was unobtainable to supply the main onboard gas tank for the utilities.
They have been using bottled gas, by disconnecting the supply AFTER the (what I believe to be) an electric gate valve. No problem there.
The problem was that they forgot to cover the, now exposed feed pipe junction.
Fast forward four years, and upon attempting to re-connect found that insects had made their home in the open pipe end, this was cleaned out carefully and before re-connecting the gas (1/4 full) the main gate shut off valve was opened in an attempt to purge any residue. No Gas?
I plead complete ignorance of the system of an RV and ask any of you guys as to what can be done to help out, have a good supply of tools that could possibly do the job.
I am thinking maybe the electric valve may be faulty or jammed
(Told it is automatic?) |Don‘t want to bugger things up
Over to you guys

Attachments

• IMG_20130714_105350.jpg
    IMG_20130714_105350.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20130714_111843.jpg
    IMG_20130714_111843.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20130714_111835.jpg
    IMG_20130714_111835.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20130714_112019.jpg
    IMG_20130714_112019.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 43
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Onboard gas supply Problem Manchester Tank Systems
Came across fellow campers Roy and Sue (non Funsters as yet)
They have been full timing in their old Fleetwood RV for a number of years, got all the manuals but not a clue about mechanics, but learning as they go.

In Spain for four, years, and because gas was unobtainable to supply the main onboard gas tank for the utilities.
They have been using bottled gas, by disconnecting the supply AFTER the (what I believe to be) an electric gate valve. No problem there.
The problem was that they forgot to cover the, now exposed feed pipe junction.
Fast forward four years, and upon attempting to re-connect found that insects had made their home in the open pipe end, this was cleaned out carefully and before re-connecting the gas (1/4 full) the main gate shut off valve was opened in an attempt to purge any residue. No Gas?
I plead complete ignorance of the system of an RV and ask any of you guys as to what can be done to help out, have a good supply of tools that could possibly do the job.
I am thinking maybe the electric valve may be faulty or jammed
(Told it is automatic?) |Don‘t want to bugger things up
Over to you guys

The electric valve that is in the picture, is what I'd refer to as a solenoid valve. It consists if a coil of wire which when energised opens the valve to allow gas flow. I'm presuming it's 12v (if it's mains voltage don't touch it unless your qualified electrician).

So if it's 12v. Isolate the gas supply at the tank. Get someone to touch the solenoid body with their finger tip while someone else switches the power on and off to it. If the solenoid is free you will feel it clunk on and off. If so, then it's a good indicator that it a blockage in the gas pipes. If no clunk is felt (most likely outcome) then the solenoid is jammed and needs replaced or the voltage is not reaching the solenoid. You can check for voltage at the solenoid terminals with a small multimeter, should see 12v indicated when solenoid switched on.

If it needs replaced look on Ebay, but make sure you get a replacement with same operating voltage and pipe threads.

Geordies

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
It is a solenoid valve they do tend to stick if not used I would suggest as another funster mentioned, look on e bay or find a gas engineer qualified to check it for you:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jollyrodger

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
thanks for the input guys to state the obvious we had already come to those conclusions ,ebay not an option we are away again tomorrow and were hoping for a solution to help out before from someone who actually knew this system cheers
jr

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I suppose you have checked that there is some gas in the tank, after four years it may have just trickled away :thumb: then again I am no expert:Doh:

Oops engage brain before keyboard just noticed quarter full

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back