LPG tank (1 Viewer)

Nov 21, 2010
Newark
Funster No
MH
hightop camper
Exp
15 years
Just getting my 1993 Hymer B584 ready for traveling next year. Does anybody know how to fit an LPG tank underneath? Thanks Andrew

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Just getting my 1993 Hymer B584 ready for traveling next year. Does anybody know how to fit an LPG tank underneath? Thanks Andrew

The tank on my Hymer sits on cradle bolted to the chassis. The straps hold it in place on the cradle, but do not take the weight of the tank plus gas.

Contact Chris Wise at Autogas 2000 Ltd. cwise@autogas.co.uk

Some have been fitted so that they hang from the straps. These can corrode un-noticed and the tank can fall off. A tank is only guaranteed for a few months if not fitted in a locker away from muck and chippings. Chris coats tanks he fits with stoneguard and suggests you have them inspected regularly. We are in for our annual inspection and remedial work if necessary on the 28th May.

John

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Most fit in a cradle type set up as said, but if you have room already for a stood up bottle, you can get an adapter to fill it at the LPG pump. If you go the underneath way, you will need a tank, straps, a filler with 80% shut off device, and a two stage regulator. There are mounting frames on ebay for around £40. If you buy a tank and filler, make sure it is for vapour, and not liquid LPG as in engine conversions. You need to have it fitted by a qualified person, though the cradle could be fitted by you first I would think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
From memory, and I apologise if the distance is wrong. It has to be fitted at least 9 inches from the ground, in other words ground clearance.
I'm pretty sure that this is a legal requirement.

If you go to autogas 2000 lots ( right of page,) they do complete kits for fitting.:thumb:

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
while on the subject, has anyone used the gas tank to run an LPG engine fuel conversion? when converting a car etc. the gas tank is usually the tricky part views please

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
while on the subject, has anyone used the gas tank to run an LPG engine fuel conversion? when converting a car etc. the gas tank is usually the tricky part views please

I believe they are different , one is vapour and the other is something else. I looked at buying a lpg tank that was used for a car and converting it to use for cooking, it's not easy but can be done. A search on the google will reveal how. But it wasn't worth it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I had an RV with an LPG tank that fed both domestic and an LPG converted petrol generator ..

bear in mind an LPG engine conversion requires a tank with a liquid gas take off point.. (not vapour)

I believe you can get tanks with both vapour and liquid connections..

the liquid connection is generally on top with a dip tube inside.. so not easily identifiable by just looking.. it is possible to change a vapour connection to liquid by fitting a dip tube to a vapour take off point.

Last edited:

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
I have had an lpg tank fitted to my last 3 vans for domestic only, it frees the gas bottle locker for carrying other stuff i carry my generater and spare can of fuel in mine. I would definetly recomend auto gas 2000 for the job, fitting lpg is not a diy job for insurance purposes . if you do fit it yourelf i think it has to be passed by a gas registerd fitter. AUTOGAS 2000 provide you with a certificate to pass on to your vehicle insurers when they fit it.

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
LPG tank cost?

Can anyone tell me how much I would expect to pay to have an under slung tank put in? I have two gaslows but find they are not enough when we go to Morocco, and want to free up the locker. We have a 6meter swift Sundance.
Thanks
Colin

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in morocco you need maroc bottles . when i go i take a maroc and one spanish .both work out far cheaper than buying auto gas .
about 45 dirham to exchange a maroc bottle cant beat it . spanish now about 17.3 euro to exchange .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in morocco you need maroc bottles . when i go i take a maroc and one spanish .both work out far cheaper than buying auto gas .
about 45 dirham to exchange a maroc bottle cant beat it . spanish now about 17.3 euro to exchange .

Kiwi Coss has gaslow refillables Alan....no need for maroc or spanish bottles.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i know but no auto gas in maroc and its expensive in spain and not easy available . seems alot of lay out as in spain gas bottles are on everyt corner . in maroc bottles are every where . i have a gas tank here .didnt out it on the trailer as its a waste of time abroad . ok for northern europe thats all . even in portugal bottles arent expensive and there most gas statrions will fill any bottle anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back