KindleFire not connecting to portable hotspot ! (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Recently replaced Kindle 3G Keyboard with Kindle Fire HD generally quite pleased with performance. However have discovered that it will not connect with my Samsung Tablet 2, 10.1 when I switch tablet to Portable Hot Spot. Both units recognise each other and each records the other as "connected" but cannot connect Kindle to internet.

The only clue I can offer is that in the top corner of Kindle a wireless icon appears BUT with a small (x) superimposed which I presume blocks internet access.
The Kindle connects to internet through MOST other wi .fi hotspots.

Any ideas how to resolve this problem. Btw, Amazon say the Kindle Fire was not designed to function this way ....... cannot believe, after all a portable hot spot is just another hot spot.

Regards, Bryan

Last edited:
OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Btw, Amazon say the Kindle Fire was not designed to function this way ..

could have something to do with it :Doh:

Had hoped for a more constructive comment than flippancy ...... but there you go.

Perhaps I should have been more fulsome in the OP but did not wish to make the thread a harangue about the quality of assistance available from Amazon Help lines.

The agent actually said, "I don't BELIEVE the Kindle Fire HD is meant to work that way". Need to hear what he knows, not what he believes to be the case.

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
ok, I am not a tech wiz kid but heres my thoughts.

correct me if I have this wrong..

your using a 3g internet connection with a sim in the samsung tablet....then you activate the samsung as a hotspot, then u connect the kindle fire to the wifi signal sent out by the samsung and connect the fire, but the connection does not allow connection to the internet....

does the samsung connect to the net ok on its own using the 3g? if it does then try setting up the hotspot as an unsecure connection and see if that works.......

The kindle fire should just see a wifi hotspot so the issue would be with the samsung in my opinion.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my post wasnt meant as flippant in any way but merely stating the obvious.

what i dont understand is, you're using a 3G Samsung tablet as a wifi hotspot to try to connect a crappy Kindle to the internet....why not just use the tablet ?

Oh, and i do use a kindle fire.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
maybe they are trying to share the one connection on both devices!

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
ok, I am not a tech wiz kid but heres my thoughts.

correct me if I have this wrong..

your using a 3g internet connection with a sim in the samsung tablet....then you activate the samsung as a hotspot, then u connect the kindle fire to the wifi signal sent out by the samsung and connect the fire, but the connection does not allow connection to the internet....

does the samsung connect to the net ok on its own using the 3g? if it does then try setting up the hotspot as an unsecure connection and see if that works.......

The kindle fire should just see a wifi hotspot so the issue would be with the samsung in my opinion.

Yes to all in para 1

Yes to para 2 and have changed settings in portable hotspot configuration setup to "open", no joy. I agree the Kindle should just see another hot spot.

Maybe that the problem lies with the tablet or it is a settings issue which I have not spotted, or of course ........ the dreaded "operator error!"

Regards, Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
my post wasnt meant as flippant in any way but merely stating the obvious.

what i dont understand is, you're using a 3G Samsung tablet as a wifi hotspot to try to connect a crappy Kindle to the internet....why not just use the tablet ?

Oh, and i do use a kindle fire.

As a Fire user you will know it needs a wi .fi connection to operate online.
My wife uses Fire and I have an older wifi (only) keyboard. When pitched up in remote areas, as we often are, dependable wifi is not readily available for internet connection, hence the need for portable hotspot. Guess my planning for such an eventuality was flawed.

Bryan

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back