Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Hi all, I wish to put a second leisure battery in so can anybody tell me where I can buy the "male" to hook into the plug shown in my hand ?

If this fails obviously I will just wire it in but would rather "plug and play"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 95

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all, I wish to put a second leisure battery in so can anybody tell me where I can buy the "male" to hook into the plug shown in my hand ?

If this fails obviously I will just wire it in but would rather "plug and play"

That looks wrong from here, the cables on our leisure battery are at least 4 times thicker than those. I can't imagine stuffing 20A charge down those. Are some more hidden from view ?

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
That looks wrong from here, the cables on our leisure battery are at least 4 times thicker than those. I can't imagine stuffing 20A charge down those. Are some more hidden from view ?

Really, bummer.
No that's how it came from the maker, similar to my Apache and I thought as you that they looked thin.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and I thought as you that they looked thin.

From the picture they don't look thick enough to run a single cigarette socket let alone central heating, lighting, TV and charge a laptop at the same time.

Odd !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
From the picture they don't look thick enough to run a single cigarette socket let alone central heating, lighting, TV and charge a laptop at the same time.

Odd !!

One things for sure next time in use I'm going to be feeling the leads to ensure there not to hot !

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it is the modern thin wall, it should be 2.7-3.3mm thick to handle the charging which would give you around 30-40a - thicker the better really!

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
If it is the modern thin wall, it should be 2.7-3.3mm thick to handle the charging which would give you around 30-40a - thicker the better really!

Ah that's a relief, from memory it is easily that or possibly a tad thicker so I happier now.

Thanks to all

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The sergent lead is fine and they supply that to Autotrail.
I had one fitted on my old 700 and have recently fitted same with an extra 110 battery to the new 700...:thumb:

Pity, as I just sold one at Stratford for £10 !!!

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Pity, as I just sold one at Stratford for £10 !!!

Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh with post I just paid about £19

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

And the connector ?

Thin wall tin connector. Must be rated OK on paper, but with a few years UK weather tarnish, things can change.

I'd love to put a good load on a socket and measure the voltage drop.

I'm a great believer in "if it looks right". Years ago I used to buy the odd Russian meter. Crude and looked like they were designed by a tractor designer but first look said "that won't break". And if it did they usually supplied a load of spares in the box.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
And the connector ?

Thin wall tin connector. Must be rated OK on paper, but with a few years UK weather tarnish, things can change.

I had the same lead on my old van for 5 years, never gave me any issues. It's the same cable they use from the charger down to the battery and from the battery feeding back to the PSU so must be suitable... Agree it does look a bit thin when you compare to what we would install if doing it ourselves...

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
And the connector ?

I'd love to put a good load on a socket and measure the voltage drop.

I'm a great believer in "if it looks right". Years ago I used to buy the odd Russian meter. Crude and looked like they were designed by a tractor designer but first look said "that won't break". And if it did they usually supplied a load of spares in the box.

I agree, I am not that happy with thin wall - it performs as it should, but isn't all that practical in the real world. They brought it out, purely because the amount of wire in new vehicles - they needed to cut the loom size down - and thin wall was the result. It carries more amperage, and on paper is better.

That said, in many applications I replace with old thick wall as it is more practical. Typical example is roof furniture (taxi lights etc) where many users will feed through the door apeture, they cannot cope with that level of abuse for very long at all - whereas the thicker stuff can. On paper the thin wall is capable of the power demand, but breaks very quickly when abused.

Working with it can be a complete pain too - try to strip it, and it just breaks off! Much of the electronics run off a similar size that you see inside of your printer cord. Hell to work with!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back