Gas F[ow Refillable Cylinders (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Iv'e had a quote for the installation of 2 x 6kg Gas Flow cylinders and all fittings for £450. Is this a reasonable price or can anyone suggest a place in the Northeast where I could have them fitted.::bigsmile:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I paid a lot more so I think this sounds Ok. Ask for a certificate of installation to prove it's been fitted and tested by a competent person.

Happy trails

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Is there a reason why you are looking at Gaslow (I am assuming you mean them and not Gas Flow)?

Other similar systems are available, and at better prices (Gas-it for example) and may be worth a look.

As for fitters in your area, others may be able to help with that info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Iv'e had a quote for the installation of 2 x 6kg Gas Flow cylinders and all fittings for £450. Is this a reasonable price or can anyone suggest a place in the Northeast where I could have them fitted.::bigsmile:
This is the "Gas-it" kit (with locker mounted filler) for the same thing which would cost only £281.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=365

So you can see how much you are being charged for the Gaslow bottles (which are virtually the same) and fitting, so no, I don't think £450 is a good price.:Eeek:

They are VERY easy to fit, the hardest part being fitting the bracket to hold the in-locker filler which is just a matter of being able to drill the fixing holes for the bolts. If you went for the external filler it could be a bit more tricky depending on where you want to mount the filler but nothing particularly difficult. There is no reason why someone who is able to do DIY couldn't do this him/herself - it doesn't need a qualified gas fitter/motorhome technician to do it and so long as you leak check it (as you should when changing Calor bottles and/or putting on a replacement hose for example) there is nothing to worry about.

One question to ask yourself is do you actually need two 6kg bottles or would one 11kg one do?

A single 11kg set-up would cost £157 and give nearly the same capacity as two 6kg ones and also would be lighter as you only have one large bottle instead of two smaller ones and don't need the extra piping for a second bottle.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=379

If you found that a single bottle wasn't sufficient you could easily add another at a later date if needed (assuming your locker was large enough).

Shame you don't live closer as I'd help you do it, I moved mine from van to van with our last 2 vehicle without a problem.

Last edited:

Candy Floss

Free Member
Nov 16, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
approx 20 years
Gaslow

WE have one 11kg from Autogas200, they are resaonable and light weight as they are Aluminium, Bill fitted himself no porblems. Also at Stratford recently we bought 6kg gaslow and contacted Autogas200 who very very helpful with parts needed and both are connected up. Rose(Mad Floss)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I find a major benefit of having two 6 KG bottles is that when one runs out I know I still have gas from the other bottle to use so never totally run out of gas. I have the manual changeover valve installed too so I can do this.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I find having 2 bottles an advantage. I have an 11 and a 6, I generally run off the larger one and then know I have to top up when I move to the smaller. But I also know there's no rush.

Tibs

Free Member
May 22, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Tstar680
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have also looked at safefill but still haven't decided. Has anyone got any experience or advice regarding these? And also does anyone know of any problems regarding refilling?
Thanks

OP
OP
ramsthom
Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I would like to thank everyone for their advice regarding the refillable cylinders. I received a very competitive quote from Autogas 2000 for 2 x 6kg cylinders with external fill point for just under £400. Its near Thirsk, North Yorkshire and is only 40 miles away. Thanks again

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I run with 0ne 6kg (calor) and one 8kg plastic refillable. The reason being the 8kg is cheap to refill but not so many garages have LPG and the 6kg is available everywhere and you need a bottle to swap or it’s expensive. If I know I will be in one place a long time I also have an 18kg. Refilling can be tricky as most garages don’t want you to fill bottles but It can be done discreetly. If your were to have a fire and you tried to claim i would not be surprised if the insurance company would want to see some insulation paper work. But I am sure others on here can high light the regs on lpg for MH and caravans.
Steve.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
ext refill

Best to have external refill because certain places in Europe they frown filling up bottles directly but no probs if it looks like a normal fill up on the forecourt.We had one garage attendant in France rush out to stop me but I pointed out that I had only opened the gas locker to make sure the bottle was in closed position before filling through the ext filler.He was ok with this.
Just changed vans and the dealer moved over our gas bottles and said he had never heard of this issue and always fitted the fillers inside the gas locker.

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Don't forget to mention to Autogas that you are a motorhomefun member & they will give you a decent discount & free delivery. I got a quote for 2x11KG aluminium bottles + all the fittings for £460 delivered.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Another great thread today. I have learn't a good bit of motorhoming stuff this morning, thanks everyone.
We were thinking of one 11kg refillable and one 6kg Calorlite (as we already have one of these). The thinking behind this is the 11kg refillable for the van and the Calorlite for the BBq and emergency's should the LPG run out.

I have to say the gas-it example makes this combination even more tempting- thanks Minx:thumb:

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=379

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back