LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Is there such a thing as a 3.5 ton Euro-van with a fixed bed and at least a desent single bed that is OK weight wise to tow a 1 ton car.. ?

If so (which I doubt) what is the make and model.. ?

Needs to be new or nearly new..

And when you are restricted, because of your license,,, does that 3.5 ton have to include a tow vehicle... which would be on a dreaded "A" frame..

Thanks..

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would think there are quite a few out there to fit the bill.
We have a Escape 644 (french bed) + a double , which is really a single. we tow a Fiat panda 1000kg loaded. (GTW 5500kg) no problem at all .The 644 also has a generous weight load , just weighed ours fully loaded, water gas fuel wife ! and still 180 kg available for wine !
At the end of the day suppose it depends on the available budget.:thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I would think there are quite a few out there to fit the bill.
We have a Escape 644 (french bed) + a double , which is really a single. we tow a Fiat panda 1000kg loaded. (GTW 5500kg) no problem at all .The 644 also has a generous weight load , just weighed ours fully loaded, water gas fuel wife ! and still 180 kg available for wine !
At the end of the day suppose it depends on the available budget.:thumb:

Bit confused...

You quote (GTW 5500KG) isn`t that five and a half ton.. ?

Not good with numbers is me.. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
5.5 tonnes Mo, tons are finished.
We are all metricified now.

What is the difference between 5.5 tonnes and 5.5 tons then.. ?

Other than an "E" and an extra "N"... :Sad:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
What is the difference between 5.5 tonnes and 5.5 tons then.. ?

Other than an "E" and an extra "N"... :Sad:

one old ton is 2240lbs = 1ton
one new tonne is 2200lbs= 1tonne = 1000kg
so an old ton is 40lbs heavier than a new ton. good old eu ripped us off. again.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Mo, you will keep your B and B+E providing you can still pass the eyesight test. :whatthe:

See Here:

On reaching the age of 70, drivers will retain their driving entitlement for Category B and Category B+E (provided Category B+E was held prior to the expiry date of their driving licence). Category B+E entitles drivers to drive a motor vehicle (ie car, van or 4x4) not exceeding 3.5 tonnes Maximum Authorised Mass* (MAM), drawing/towing any weight trailer/caravan within the prescribed maximum towing weight. The maximum towing weight will be specified in the technical data section of the vehicle manufacturer’s handbook. However, Club recommendations on weight ratio between trailer and towing vehicle remain at 85%. *The terms ‘Maximum Authorised Mass’, ‘Gross Weight’ and ‘Permissible Maximum Weight’ all have the same meaning, ie the weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load the vehicle may safely carry. When drivers of any vehicle over a MAM of 3,500kg reach 70 years of age and their driving licence expires they must pass the D4 Medical Test and pass the required standard eyesight test at 20.5 metres/67 feet with glasses used when driving. This legislation became effective from 1 January 1998.

:Smile: Bob.

Whats next another fifth wheel or caravan. :Doh:

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Is there such a thing as a 3.5 ton Euro-van with a fixed bed and at least a desent single bed that is OK weight wise to tow a 1 ton car.. ?

If so (which I doubt) what is the make and model.. ?

Needs to be new or nearly new..

And when you are restricted, because of your license,,, does that 3.5 ton have to include a tow vehicle... which would be on a dreaded "A" frame..

Thanks..

Car not included in the 3,500kg but you need to check the gross train weight (Van & trailer). My GTW is 6000kg so ample for a car.

Ours is an Autocruise Starseeker (07) that fits the bill, but don't know if they still make that model.

So they are out there, just have to keep looking.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Mo, you will keep your B and B+E providing you can still pass the eyesight test. :whatthe:

See Here:

On reaching the age of 70, drivers will retain their driving entitlement for Category B and Category B+E (provided Category B+E was held prior to the expiry date of their driving licence). Category B+E entitles drivers to drive a motor vehicle (ie car, van or 4x4) not exceeding 3.5 tonnes Maximum Authorised Mass* (MAM), drawing/towing any weight trailer/caravan within the prescribed maximum towing weight. The maximum towing weight will be specified in the technical data section of the vehicle manufacturer’s handbook. However, Club recommendations on weight ratio between trailer and towing vehicle remain at 85%. *The terms ‘Maximum Authorised Mass’, ‘Gross Weight’ and ‘Permissible Maximum Weight’ all have the same meaning, ie the weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load the vehicle may safely carry. When drivers of any vehicle over a MAM of 3,500kg reach 70 years of age and their driving licence expires they must pass the D4 Medical Test and pass the required standard eyesight test at 20.5 metres/67 feet with glasses used when driving. This legislation became effective from 1 January 1998.

:Smile: Bob.

Whats next another fifth wheel or caravan. :Doh:

Cheers Bob.............. It`s the 70th birthday looming..

And keeping my C1E with 107 entitlement that has bought about the question...

If I fail my medical, just weighing up what I could get and tow a car, with the 3.5 ton (Tonnes) max..

Not a lot by the looks of things... :Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mo. on a b+e its possible to have a train weight of 11-12 ton with the right set up .
fifth wheeler is the way .but getting the right tow unit is the important part. the only weight limit is the train weight allowed of the tow unit . no 8.250kg limit as in the c1+e.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
The plate inside the bonnet says our MH is 3.5 ton and can go to 5.5 if towing!
Have a look at the photo's I've put in the album. It might be the type of vehicle you want to look at. :thumb:

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
The plate inside the bonnet says our MH is 3.5 ton and can go to 5.5 if towing!
Have a look at the photo's I've put in the album. It might be the type of vehicle you want to look at. :thumb:

Just be careful with this as my Sprinter has something similar however as the chassis has been extended there is a derating table in the handbook because of the extra overhang. The chassis plate was fitted in the Merc factory before the vehicle was converted.

Cheers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back