Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
My application to join this exclusive club has finally arrived !!!

On reading all the blurb and fine print it says that I have to provide a new photo !

Nowhere on the form does it say that I have to have a medical !

On checking the blurb on size of vehicles etc. I said medium size motorhome and they came back with....C1 license not required as I have held my license for years !!

And, to cap it all.....no fee required !! Comments please from over 70's license holders !

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Good for you Steve. No further comment as I am in state of shock ...... Jeannie you have made him into such a young, virile whippersnap I could not believe he even required to fill in this form.:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Go see a solicitor
If you are relying on DVLA web site or info you will find yourself in the wrong vehicle with the wrong licence and no valid insurance
But hey at 70 what they gonna do lock you up, just play the ole farts card im prcatising now:thumb::ROFLMAO:
Geo

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

On reading all the blurb and fine print it says that I have to provide a new photo !

On checking the blurb on size of vehicles etc. I said medium size motorhome and they came back with....C1 license not required as I have held my license for years !!

And, to cap it all.....no fee required !! Comments please from over 70's license holders !

If your M/H is rated 3500 then you won't need C1-BUT if you don't renew your C1 status this time,you will lose it !!
I assume you have booklet INF5D Look at section 2-The License you want.
Drivers of minibuses and medium sized vehicles.
You will need 2 forms-D2 and D4 if you want to keep that entitlement.
I'm doing the same thing as we speak-I've phoned them and am having forms sent,but you can download them and print them out. (D4 is several pages) but I'm a bit low on ink ::bigsmile:
The medical is a private one and costs around £100. The opticians report is new but should be free.

Mike

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If your M/H is rated 3500 then you won't need C1-BUT if you don't renew your C1 status this time,you will lose it !!
I'm doing the same thing as we speak-I've phoned them and am having forms sent,but you can download them and print them out. (D4 is several pages) but I'm a bit low on ink ::bigsmile:
The medical is a private one and costs around £100. The opticians report is new but should be free.

Mike

I renewed mine in May and can confirm the above. I do have an eyesight problem in one eye. As a result my licence came back with D1 as NFHR (Not for hire or reward). I didn't think I would get it, so that was a result.C1+E was no problem. I voluntarily had an opticians eye test that I enclosed with my application.

Medical with your own doctor speeds the process up, but cost more than the professional driver centres. After chatting with a pro driver who had just had one at that type of centre it would seem we are being put through a harder medical than some professional drivers of full C licence vehicles for a C1 licence. My medical last 1 hour he said he just got a quick check and he was on his way in a few minutes.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Very interesting thread "Gentlemen".... :thumb:

Mine is looming in January...

Which has knackered going away for a few months in/over the winter...

I have the C1E with a 107, which I would like to keep to enable me to have my 7.5 ton entitlement...

Does anybody know how early I can apply for a renewal of the same.... ?

70th birthday in January... :Sad:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have the C1E with a 107, which I would like to keep to enable me to have my 7.5 ton entitlement...

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
Have a look here-they will send you an application form 56 days in advance,but I think you can do it 90 days in advance.

Mike

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Medical with your own doctor speeds the process up, but cost more than the professional driver centres. After chatting with a pro driver who had just had one at that type of centre it would seem we are being put through a harder medical than some professional drivers of full C licence vehicles for a C1 licence. My medical last 1 hour he said he just got a quick check and he was on his way in a few minutes.

My medical 3 yrs ago was mostly the Dr asking me questions and ticking boxes-she did do height/weight and blood pressure and a urine sample.
At that time my own surgery were not doing driving licence medicals in a time frame that suited me (they talked about 'maybe in 2 or 3 weeks time!! ) so I went to a private GP surgery. Got an appt on the day I rang,and was out in 30 mins.

Mike.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Over 70's licence & photo.

When I had my medical, my GP carried out the sight test as part of the medical. Cost of medical £69.00.

On the question of a new photo, yes one is required, but they refunded the £20.00 cheque I enclosed, so yes it's FREE.

Allow as much time as you can, just in case the medical guys write to your GP.

Good luck.:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Remember, you'll be limited to 3500kg if you don't go through all the medical stuff.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Remember, you'll be limited to 3500kg if you don't go through all the medical stuff.

I am happy with my Scout ! Now I am no longer a fulltimer why would I want to upgrade to a larger vehicle !!:Doh:

Plus.....I couldn't afford it !!:cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Good for you Steve. No further comment as I am in state of shock ...... Jeannie you have made him into such a[HI][HI] young, virile whippersnap [/HI][/HI]I could not believe he even required to fill in this form.:RollEyes:

Aw shucks Joy !! Don't de troof jus hurt !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
When I had my medical, my GP carried out the sight test as part of the medical. Cost of medical £69.00.

On the question of a new photo, yes one is required, but they refunded the £20.00 cheque I enclosed, so yes it's FREE.

Allow as much time as you can, just in case the medical guys write to your[HI] GP.[/HI]

Good luck.:thumb:

Luckily I have a "Tame" GP. Doesn't charge me for anything and gives me sufficient medication for 6 months at a time !!:thumb::thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am happy with my Scout ! Now I am no longer a fulltimer why would I want to upgrade to a larger vehicle !!:Doh:

Well mine is 5 tonnes and cost me 5K. So I'm sure you could have afforded it. Why would you want to? 250 litre water tanks, a bath, really solid beds, not those fragile slatted things. A feeling of space inside. Two worksurfaces in the kitchen...

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

is your scout not 3850kgs then?

has it been downplated?

is it on a fait chassis or alko?

questions questions

Deleted User
Things have changed-you now need an opticians report on your 'visual acuity' measured on the Snellen scale ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Things definitely have changed but doctors can still carry out the visual part of the examination in some circumstances if they are competent/have the necessary equipment.

"Medical examination report
Vision assessment
[HI]To be filled in by a doctor or optician/optometrist
Doctors – You MUST read the notes in the INF4D leaflet so that you can decide
whether you are able to fully complete the vision assessment.[/HI]
Please check the applicant’s identity before you proceed"

If you wear glasses and the doctor is OK to do the test you must take the prescription for the glasses with you.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well mine is 5 tonnes and cost me 5K. So I'm sure you could have afforded it. Why would you want to? 250 litre water tanks, a bath, really solid beds, not those fragile slatted things. A feeling of space inside. Two worksurfaces in the kitchen...

AND 10 MPG. BUSBY:roflmto:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Mo just send them a request for the forms and do it early, I did, for the same reason as yours, as my birthday is 6 April and now my renewal is December and forms will arrive in October

Mike

BUT, you can get it back at next renewal. I did just that last renewal but first time I didn't bother as MH was 3500 rated. I then uprated it to 3700 so needed the C1.
The people who have trouble seem to be the ones who have had heart problems.
I know of two people who failed because they could not do a treadmill test when sent for further medical assessment by DVLA.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The people who have trouble seem to be the ones who have had heart problems.
I know of two people who failed because they could not do a treadmill test when sent for further medical assessment by DVLA.

If you can't do the treadmill then you can insist on the 'gamma ray scan' which is a radioactive injection, heart stress injection and then a 20 minute scan

Peter

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
If you can't do the treadmill then you can insist on the 'gamma ray scan' which is a radioactive injection, heart stress injection and then a 20 minute scan

Peter

Never seen that peter, do you knowif there is there somewhere I can read about it so that if someone argues with me I can show them?

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Licence Renewal

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
Have a look here-they will send you an application form 56 days in advance,but I think you can do it 90 days in advance.
Two years ago mine ran out on the 27th of december and I did'nt want it to interfere with our winter in Spain so I had my medical and applied at beginning of august with a letter explaining I was going abroad.
I received my licence back in five days with my C I entitlement and its now dated from the 6 aug 2011,I'l have to renew mine again next year unless we go smaller.
Alan:thumb:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Licence at 70

Sorry my previous quote should have been on Mo's post I don't know what went wrong probably to much to drink last night
Alan:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back