Sticky Electric step where to lubricate (1 Viewer)

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Hi Funsters,

We are currently on tour in France in our Autotrail FB Tracker and really enjoying ourselves for the first time in a motorhome however like everywhere else in the world we have had a lot of heavy rain which I think every so often is affecting the electric step on the motorhome due to its location and all the spray battering it receives.

I have used WD40 light engine oil and now a silicon lubricant in all the places visible and it seems to do the trick for a short time until as usual I go to start the engine and the step either sticks in the open position and will not retract.

Do any of you very experienced funsters have any advice for me to cure this once and for all.

Kind Regards

Dave:Smile:

John England

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Deal
Funster No
MH
low profile coachbuilt
Exp
two
How old is your motorhome and does it have a Sargent control panel? If around 2010, there was a technical problem with a poly fuse on the printed circuit board, which produces the symptoms you are experiencing. It is necessary to replace the fuse (a soldering job). Sargent will tell you more.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
How old is your motorhome and does it have a Sargent control panel? If around 2010, there was a technical problem with a poly fuse on the printed circuit board, which produces the symptoms you are experiencing. It is necessary to replace the fuse (a soldering job). Sargent will tell you more.

We had a similar problem with our step ... traced it back to the Sargent unit and after a call to their customer service team they sent me a complete replacement unit which I was able to fit quite easily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Dave, have you cleaned and lubricated the micro switch on the step mechanism. Quite often they get clogged up with grit, a spray with WD-40 may cure the fault.

Brisey.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sticking step

Hi Dave

When you've done all the above, I came across a tip related to this problem a few years back in one of the MH mags. Basically it involved fixing a plastic cover over the micro switch to protect it from spray, grit etc. the tipster used a hard, clear plastic lid from a small plastic box, similar to the ones you get bulb sets in. Not needed it on ours so I can't comment other than this, but the procedure seemed easy enough and the claimed result worked well. Not sure which mag but most likely to have been either MMM or Pactical Motorhome.

Cheers and remember, every journey starts with a step :ROFLMAO:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Our Autotrail Tracker EKS had the same fault in Spain halfway down La Manga.. We had been driving through a lot of puddles, so I had a quick look under the step at the microswitch which is inside a plastic cover. I gave it a technically based thump and it worked faultlessly from then on.. So basically, the microswitch was stuck.. Hope this helps. PS. I do'n't mean that what the others have said is not correct, but this was my fault, and remedy.. Good luck..
.Mitch. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back