Morocco in November and December (2 Viewers)

Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi All
We are planning our first trip over to Morocco later this year (very excited!) and will be there in November and December but back to Portugal for Xmas.
Can anyone suggest the best route to take at that time of year. We have a dog with us so will land at Tangier Med as I think Ceuta is still closed to animals. We hope to be there for between a month and 6 weeks and are happy to do a lot of driving but equally would like to have some time to relax. Would like to get over to Erg Cheggi and through the gorges but unsure what can be weather affected.
Any advice welcome especially as most people seem to go in January so might not see many brits late this year
Thanks
Sally

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The only animal problem you "MAY" encounter is returning to the UK with an animal that has been to Morocco.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Morocco

Hi Sally,

We were there last October with Ray Monteith-smith and the Desert Detours team. We had a month touring, starting with Chefchaouane, then over the Riff and Atlas Mountains, taking in the gorges, Source Bleu, Erg Chebbi and the big cities, ending up at Essaouria. A memorable trip and we covered a lot of miles. Ray often said that some of the areas we visited were pretty inaccessible at certain times of year so you are right to think about the weather.

We crossed from Algeciras to Ceuta, and I think one couple took their dog along. Ray certainly had his with him.

Might be worth checking out his blogs for background? (Desert detours)

Enjoy your trip. We got there via the French Atlantic coast then via Aranguez and Granada. Coming back we went up the Spanish Med coast then Aigues Mortes, Cassis, Beaune, Champagne and the Somme. 9 weeks in total.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would like to get over to Erg Cheggi
Sally

4 years on I'm still finding sand in the corners. I worry where it might have got where it could do damage. I would not return to that bit. Blackpool, St Annes is similar and quite a lot cheaper to get to..

OP
OP
sallys
Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the replies
To confirm, I am looking for advise on the best route around Morocco at that time of year. Would I be best to go clockwise ie route suggested by hymerb544,
I have thoroughly checked requirements for our dog into and out of Morocco, and back into UK/EU so don't want this to turn into a should we or shouldn't we take him with us. Just want to get the best out of our time there.
Thanks again and keep the tips coming
Sally

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
possibly best to head straight down to midelt erfoud etc then do the gorges then the marakech. as the desert detours do .as it gets to xmas it can get snowy in the mountains and some roads become difficult . if you can drop to taroudant and agadir then hug the coast on the way back up. casablanca and rabat are far better taken right on the coast road . we do it all with out using the toll roads .
we used to cross in early december .go down the coast road then do the way back desert and mountains in late feb march. tried it once going desert side in dec it was freezing and some roads not good . the coast stays clear of snow .
have fun its a great adventure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back