Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Looking for somewhere near an east lancs railway station, for sat. nite (July 6). Found a pukka site but its full, every weekend (but not during the week, strangely.) needs to be away from passing idiots, naturally. don't need any facilities, just safe space. Anyone know? Thanx in advance.

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Burrs Park CC Site is in Bury

www.ukcampsite.co.ukUK > EnglandNorth WestLancashire
Burrs Country Park Caravan Club Site, Bury details in Lancashire plus every camp site in the UK, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France.

'Tis the one to which I refer, as being booked. Will call em and make sure. Thought wilding might be an idea if they are indeed full. Ta TB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Castlecroft Camping
Eton Hill Rd
Radcliffe, Manchester
0161 724 9922
Not sure about connections but its only a couple of miles :thumb:

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
I used to live in Radcliffe! Didn't know Castlecroft were still in business. Didn't they have premises near Bolton st. station, in the eponymous area, Castlecroft? Could tram it into Bury, but defeats the object a bit, besides Radcliffe is even more wild west now (maybe not that paricular bit -hollins?- unless you include the 'Holts victims' from the Old Cross!) . I was there 20 odd years ago. Do Castlecroft have an area for parking, bearing in mind it a 26 footer I use and IIRCthey are round the back of what used to be the old Remploy factory, if it still stands?

Deleted User
Lane End Farm is a C&CC CS at Heywood, 15 min walk from Heywood station on the East Lancs Railway. Basic toilet, shower and 16amp electric, I think cost is now £12.50 p.night.

01706 365551

Will be there ourselves from next Wed for a few weeks.

BTW Castlecroft Camping is a dealer and accessory shop, not a site.

It is where you say but no site last time we were there not long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Lane End Farm is a C&CC CS at Heywood, 15 min walk from Heywood station on the East Lancs Railway. Basic toilet, shower and 16amp electric, I think cost is now £12.50 p.night.

01706 365551

Will be there ourselves from next Wed for a few weeks.

BTW Castlecroft Camping is a dealer and accessory shop, not a site.

It is where you say but no site last time we were there not long ago.

Much as I thought. I will check the Heywood one on google earth, see what the score is. Am going to ELR so the last train back may be too early, for I am hoping for a good ole pint or more, hence staying in locality if poss, otherwise if its early finish, may as well get train home (with the other drunks, which I wanted toavoid, lol.)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Castlecroft Camping
Eton Hill Rd
Radcliffe, Manchester
0161 724 9922
Not sure about connections but its only a couple of miles :thumb:

When I was Manager there in 1989... they didn`t have camping facility`s..

A couple of years after they revamped the place.... and still only did storage... as well as a big accessory store and selling new caravans...

Not sure what they sell now... but were a main agent for Compass caravans and Sprite..

The whole place along with Wigan depot and a few others were owned by a consortium... The Gould brothers and an independent Phil Leftby... It was split up and Phil Leftby took on the Castlecroft side of things and did the revamp..

Now aint that a useless load of information... :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
old-mo, I remeber going to the one in Radcliffe when I lived there, think it was for some tent stuff. Would be about 1987 IIRC, at which time the \bury location was doing caravans. I had forgotten all about them! But as for camping this weekend, I thi nk its a non-starter, I can do out and back by train easily but in case the drinking went on past last train, I thought I had a plan B. Never mind. Cheers Folks! Dave

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
When I was Manager there in 1989... they didn`t have camping facility`s..

A couple of years after they revamped the place.... and still only did storage... as well as a big accessory store and selling new caravans...

Not sure what they sell now... but were a main agent for Compass caravans and Sprite..

The whole place along with Wigan depot and a few others were owned by a consortium... The Gould brothers and an independent Phil Leftby... It was split up and Phil Leftby took on the Castlecroft side of things and did the revamp..

Now aint that a useless load of information... :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Sorry Jack

Did not Know about Castlecroft it was a google entry
but having heard it's no longer open
I BLAME OLD MO:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Being a CC site, Burrs Park shows it full every weekend because that's what CC members do - book up somewhere for every weekend (no deposit required) and then they have until 3 days before going to cancel without penalty, a long standing complaint of members. So it's always worth ringing the site direct midweek to check if they've had any cancellations.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sorry Jack

Did not Know about Castlecroft it was a google entry
but having heard it's no longer open
I BLAME OLD MO:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just googled it out of curiosity,,, and it`s still going strong... :thumb: .

We were on holiday from Spain (Lived there for years).. and my lad got knocked down, and I got a job there as my lad was in a head injury`s unit for 4 years... so couldn`t go home (Spain)... and got a job just to relieve the boredom...

Must admit I enjoyed working there... but they were hard task masters.... had monthly figures to reach, sales wise, and gord help you if you didn`t reach them... :Sad:::bigsmile:

But when you did.... the bunuses were fantastic ££££££`s.... :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We were on Burrs site about a month ago and if you are lucky enough to get on then you will find it very good.

The East Lancashire line runs along the edge of the site and it is only a 10 minute walk to the railway museum and 20 minutes, mainly off road walking, into Bury town centre.

It is a nice quiet site with a huge park land to stroll around and lots of good walking along the river Irwell, which is somewhat pleasanter than it was when I was a kid.

Sorry cannot think of another site close by except way off beat at Turton.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Now that we've had all the sensible repiles, can I just say that "Bury Lancs" seems a really good idea.:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back