Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I am now the proud owner of a 1990 hymer S660, picked it up on Sunday.

Everyone comments on how slow they are, well believe me, after driving my old Iveco prison truck, the Hymer is fantastic!!

Getting all my clobber transfered into it, and will be away next week for a try out.::bigsmile:

Thanks to everyone that gave advice on my short list a few weeks back.:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its the 2.9 turbo its not slow once wound up. We just majestically hold traffic up from standing starts and smell the fragrance of the flowers as we go up mountains ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
B

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
If its the 2.9 turbo its not slow once wound up. We just majestically hold traffic up from standing starts and smell the fragrance of the flowers as we go up mountains ::bigsmile:

No turbo, Im afraid, so I shall hold them up even more. But I dont care, I shall be driving with a big silly smile on my face.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have heard that people with more berths than they use will have to pay bedroom road tax JJ is your a six berth:ROFLMAO:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Congratulations. :Smile:

They are a bit slow, but will get up any hill! Let me know if you need any manuals or help on them, have a few bits of original paper and handbooks.

Cheers

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
I am now the proud owner of a 1990 hymer S660, picked it up on Sunday.

Everyone comments on how slow they are, well believe me, after driving my old Iveco prison truck, the Hymer is fantastic!!

Getting all my clobber transfered into it, and will be away next week for a try out.::bigsmile:

Thanks to everyone that gave advice on my short list a few weeks back.:Smile:

Good choice , Get out and about and enjoy .

OP
OP
B

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
You have one of the best motorhomes ever built imo.

Turbo totally unnecessary.

People with Hymer 660S don't do "brmmm brmmm brmmming".

We are of a more gentle, peaceful and, dare I say it, civilised frame of mind...

Congratulations on a wise choice.

JJ :Cool:
It was seeing yours on your bog, that made me look closer at them. Early days, but I am already of the opinion that I have a classic motorhome.:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I have heard that people with more berths than they use will have to pay bedroom road tax JJ is your a six berth:ROFLMAO:

According to Leeds council, you just rename the rooms, then no bedroom tax.

So the rear 2 berths is the lounge, no tax. The centre sofa is the dining room, no tax. So that just leaves one drop down bedroom:ROFLMAO:

Do they have bedroom tax in Potugal!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
B

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Congratulations. :Smile:

They are a bit slow, but will get up any hill! Let me know if you need any manuals or help on them, have a few bits of original paper and handbooks.

Cheers

Thankyou for your kind offer, came with a bag full of documentation and receipts, German and British, including a Peter Russek manual.But I will soon be in touch, when the need arises.::bigsmile:

I would be interested to know if you have fitted your air suspension yet, and if so, how is it performing? I have bought a set off the same guy!:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You will never need the instruction books and these old Mercs do get a bit boring sometimes as nothing ever goes wrong with them.
Re the air suspension kit, I thought they were damned expensive for what they were and had the rear springs re tensioned with an extra leaf added. Cost £140. The ride is now 100% better.

ck12680

Free Member
Nov 3, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Self conversion
Exp
S660

Are any of the s660 models under 3.5t?

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
go fast in a motorhome?????
why would you want to do that??
from the moment we get into our hymer relaxation is in the air.we just potter along without a care in the world.
you dont want to go razzing about and anyway what would the @victor meldrews' of this world have to moan about then??!!:ROFLMAO:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Great choice; Hymers are a class act and an S class even better. They last forever and are built like brick ----houses. You'll get years of enjoyment!:thumb:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Before putting a deposit on an RMB a few weeks ago, we hired a nearly-new Swift Escape 686 and a 20 year-old Hymer S670.

The Hymer knocked spots off the Swift in nearly every respect. I'm not saying this for effect but merely being honest. And that's me, my wife and children all independently drawing the same opinion.

The Fiat Ducato may have been more refined and easier to drive, but the Hymer oozed character and wasn't in the least bit hampered by being slower and slightly more ponderous.

There's a lovely S660 on eBay right now for £16,000. Top money. I saw the very same S660 for sale in Germany. Well worth the money or the time spent importing it.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It was seeing yours on your [HI]bog[/HI], that made me look closer at them. Early days, but I am already of the opinion that I have a classic motorhome.:thumb:

You really don't want to be looking at anything on JJ's bog. You will suffer for ever:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back