Motorhome Power Supply - Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

Jeff2008

Free Member
Jun 28, 2013
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantguarde 120
Exp
Hello there,

I am a newcomer to Motor homing and need some help.

On collecting the van there was very little power in the living area. I charged up from our mains supply overnight and following day everything was fine. We went out for the afternoon , using hardly any electric , just had the fridge on for about an hour. Returned home and later in the evening I noticed there was again no electric. Overnight charged it again but this time there was no change and we still have no electrics.

No problem with the vehicle it drives fine and all electrics there are ok.

Any advice welcome !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum :thumb:

It SHOULD charge the leisure battery as you drive, but it also sounds as if the leisure battery is pretty much had it I am afrad.

The fridge should never run off of 12v when the engine is not running.. Either gas or mains, so running a fridge for however long should not discharge the battery

Do you own a multimeter Jeff ?

If you do, check the leisure battery voltage without the van running and not on hook up.
Start the van and check it again.
If it is exactly the same I would say the leisure battery charging circuit is not very well..

OP
OP
J

Jeff2008

Free Member
Jun 28, 2013
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantguarde 120
Exp
Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum :thumb:

It SHOULD charge the leisure battery as you drive, but it also sounds as if the leisure battery is pretty much had it I am afrad.

The fridge should never run off of 12v when the engine is not running.. Either gas or mains, so running a fridge for however long should not discharge the battery

Do you own a multimeter Jeff ?

If you do, check the leisure battery voltage without the van running and not on hook up.
Start the van and check it again.
If it is exactly the same I would say the leisure battery charging circuit is not very well..

Did wonder if it might be the leisure battery .Don't have a multi meter but can get hold of one and will follow your advice

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Is this a new or used van ??
If used then very likely the leisure battery wants to be changed..

As suggested get a multimeter and test battery if its charging.. If it is and it doesn't keep any charge then replace..

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sounds like the Battery is rooted:Sad:

OP
OP
J

Jeff2008

Free Member
Jun 28, 2013
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantguarde 120
Exp
Tester battery with a multi meter and the battery is flat. Running the engine doesn't change the reading so it does look like a new battery is required.

Thanks for the advice folks :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry, but you have more than a flat battery problem there..

If there is no charge going in to the battery with the engine running ( as you say, no change in the reading ) then you have a major fault in the charging system

I would personally go right back to the dealer and explain that the van does not charge the battery when the engine is running.. You have only just bought it so they should sort it out for you :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back