Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi I have just installed a spinflo gas cooker with two rings and a grill I was going to put a couple of mushroom type roof vents above cooker but when I was in caravan shop asking for advice there was a chap in shop from Scottish caravan services who told me I had to calculate area of van against btus or bthus (I think it was something like that) for carbon monoxide can anybody give me some guidance please. I obviously want to do the right thing to complete my conversion........Bruce

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hmm this puzzled me a little.. Because as far as I knew a correctly burning grill /hob produces little carbon monoxide. (obviously it shouldn't be used for space heating). We have no special vents specifically for the hob or grill.. Just the general vents . We have used the hob in inclement weather in just the van with no issues... But normally have the awning attached which has a massive volume. Our co alarm has never gone off.
I'll be interested to see what's said here.

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
air vents

Thanks for reply. Before I went for the mushroom type vents I got advice from the company that supply gas certificate . They were happy with rear opening windows for ventilation which was needed however when I finished rear of kitchen area no access to opening these. It was a minibus so these not needed, hence mushroom vent idea. Will go back for advice and post result hopefully carbon monoxide alarm adequate, but any more views appreciated...............Bruce

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
BTUs stands for british thermal units and is used in calculating heating boiler, rad sizes, air con etc, and not really anything to do with a van conversion (maybe if you fitted air con)if you fit a small roof vent or can open a window all will be OK especially if you have a carbon monoxide alarm.
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I beleive it is room width x room length x ceioling height x 20. That gives you the maximum BTU figure for your vehicle.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I beleive it is room width x room length x ceioling height x 20. That gives you the maximum BTU figure for your vehicle.

that sounds like a rough heat loss calc as a plumber and heating fitter we work on room volume times 5 for domestic well we did before it all went metric. times 20 sounds a bit ott even for an uninsulated van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back