LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You've got to put a known load on it, run it down to 12V and then work out how many ampere hours you got out of it.

Just like running your diesel tank dry, it's the only way you know what you're going to get out of a tank.

Upvote 0

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just pop along to any motorist discount centre who sells battery's they will do a drop test on it for you free of charge lol pardon the pun, make sure it has had a full charge the night before, I have one of these units if you have a weak battery it will detect it.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just pop along to any motorist discount centre who sells battery's they will do a drop test on it for you free of charge lol pardon the pun, make sure it has had a full charge the night before, I have one of these units if you have a weak battery it will detect it.:thumb:

I may be cynical, but...

in an ideal world....yes, your battery is good...we need not sell you a new one.

In the real world....batteries buggered mate, we have this one in stock. :Doh:

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
There are many posts on all motorhome forums on this subject

This is not always true. I recently had to replace two Banner batteries and was fortunate to live near to the Banner depot. They did the drop test and informed me that the batteries were ok. I had checked the batteries myself and found that they provided only 3 Amp hours of use for each battery. Banner then agreed to bench test them and found them to be faulty in deep cycle mode but ok for engine crank amperage.
I agree with the first reply, fully charge the battery, disconnect the charger, leave for an hour to check that you have about 12.8 volts at the battery terminals. Then run a 5 Amp load till the battery shows 12 volts and check the elapsed time to give the Amp hours.
There are many posts on the forums on this, thats how I got to the bottom of my problems with the Banner batteries.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
There are many posts on all motorhome forums on this subject

This is not always true. I recently had to replace two Banner batteries and was fortunate to live near to the Banner depot. They did the drop test and informed me that the batteries were ok. I had checked the batteries myself and found that they provided only 3 Amp hours of use for each battery. Banner then agreed to bench test them and found them to be faulty in deep cycle mode but ok for engine crank amperage.
I agree with the first reply, fully charge the battery, disconnect the charger, leave for an hour to check that you have about 12.8 volts at the battery terminals. Then run a 5 Amp load till the battery shows 12 volts and check the elapsed time to give the Amp hours.
There are many posts on the forums on this, thats how I got to the bottom of my problems with the Banner batteries.:thumb:

Two true but you have to start somewhere and my snap on drop tester will certainly detect a weak battery and you can cook your toast on the bars whilst it is lol::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Two true but you have to start somewhere and my snap on drop tester will certainly detect a weak battery and you can cook your toast on the bars whilst it is lol::bigsmile:

won't do your leisure battery any favours though.

A genuine leisure battery is designed for long, low discharge currents, unlike the batteries which high current drop testers are intended for, starting batteries, which have a structure designed for short, high current discharge.

Leisure battery current is likely to be around 20amp max for a few hours, whereas a starter motor may draw 600plus amps for a few seconds at a time.

Upvote 0

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

A genuine leisure battery is designed for long, low discharge currents, unlike the batteries which high current drop testers are intended for, starting batteries, which have a structure designed for short, high current discharge.

Leisure battery current is likely to be around 20amp max for a few hours, whereas a starter motor may draw 600plus amps for a few seconds at a time.

Bugger shot down again!!!!! What about the toast,too light lol:cry:

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Actually, leisure batteries can be officially rated for quite significant levels of CCA as well, often in excess of the actual starter battery. Very useful for giving yourself a jump start.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back