Help please Mcafee and Windows XP (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi Folks

I have mcafee free with my internet.

Its just flashed up a message saying Mcafee no longer supports Windows XP service pack 2

apparently I need to upgrade.

What am I supposed to upgrade to and does it cost.

All advice appreciated. Im having a bad day today. This is the first of two posts for help xxxx

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
You need to install Service Pack 3 for XP. Either do a Windows update or search on the Microsoft website for it. Download and install it and that 'should' sort your problem!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Folks

I have mcafee free with my internet.

Its just flashed up a message saying Mcafee no longer supports Windows XP service pack 2

apparently I need to upgrade.

What am I supposed to upgrade to and does it cost.

All advice appreciated. Im having a bad day today. This is the first of two posts for help xxxx

TBH I dont know why your using Mcafee unless like a lot of people it came installed on your PC and you found it just too difficult to get shut of, do yourself a favour and load Microsoft Essentials, excellent anti virus and its FREE, recommended on this forum many times in the past by lots of users:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Another for essentials - don't know why I wasted so much money for gizmo studded anti viruses, when this freebe works fine - and comp runs faster!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've been using Microsoft Essentials for a while, since having some problems with AVG, and find it works fine.

It would be worth upgrading to XP Service Pack 3 anyway because of vulnerabilities it fixed and to keep up to date until XP support finishes next April.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
MS essentials also recommended here. A full run of windows updater should also be done as SP2 is not up to date and your machine will therefore be susceptible to a lot of vulnerabilities.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have McAfee as well - free with BT broadband so we are with Gail on this. My son doesn't like it either but we don't have a reason to change. On the Mac in my home office we use Avast which seems to work pretty well - keeps giving me warnings of dodgy websites like this one......... Used to have avast on the PC before BT provided the integrated service.

Question: why is McAfee so unpopular? Non technical replies please....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)

Probably because, like Norton who do deals with PC manufacturers, the temporary packages are installed on new machines to tempt the unwary/unknowledgeable to buy into long term subscriptions.

Such tools are great in a business situation with qualified people who know how to get the best from them but over the top for the typical private installation.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

It's bloated, resource intensive, slows the computer down and is basically crap...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back