bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I found out a week ago when I visited my 'local' VRO (Vehicle Registration Office) that all 39 offices are closing by the end of this year. The Post Office will apparently take over some of the duties with the DVLA at Swansea doing the bulk of it. Bad news :Doh: Not only did it mean that all my paperwork regarding two registration numbers had to be sent to Swansea (they are breaking them in there) it could take two weeks to get the new V5s and a bit longer for the replacement tax discs. I can put the new plates on as soon as the V5s come back, do not have to wait for the tax discs...I was advised though to keep the flyer, saying it was legal to do that, in the vehicle :winky: As for the guy that had a heap of paperwork, who was explaining to one of the VRO representatives about an unregistered, imported, modified BMW....when I arrived, and who was still doing so when I left, well, that would never get sorted would it?! Only two VRO employees, from the 39 offices, have decided to relocate to Swansea, so Swansea have taken on 400 trainees, going to be fun :ROFLMAO:
Today, I open up the DVLA website and find it has all changed. OK, it was not perfect before but it was an imperfect I knew :RollEyes: here is the new one...https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving and here is a link to the closures. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dvla-local-office-closure-plan-announced Jane :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having been told by DVLA Swansea that I cannot now register imports at my local DVLA and they now have to be done by Swansea, then being told they will send the forms to me so that I can register at Swansea I am still waiting almost 4 weeks after 6 phone calls to them for the forms. In desperation I went to my local DVLA office last week to see if they had any forms left. Walked out of there 1 hour later with the vehicle registered. I dread to think what will happen when Swansea takes it all on. They never could cope before.

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Yeah I was just about to take a trip to the local office and then though I would just check the form I had to fill out and noticed a visit to the local office was no longer an option.

Thankfully the last dealings I had with the local office were horrendous anyway so I saved the petrol and sent my stuff off three weeks later I got everything back and I am sorted. No where near as much hassle as last time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Mr Osborne, don't you just love him? and this is just the thin edge of his wedge.

'I will reduce the headcount of Civil Servants by X %' was his rally cry to his banking cronies and whoever thought it a good idea too - 'make them suffer'.... 'we have to show who's boss and good with an axe'.

Here we are, the thin end of his wedge that is starting to hit us as motorists head on.
DVLA, 'we will close all local offices, that will hurt them, won't it' as he puffs out his chest to the roar of suited bankers. 'We will slash all those in DVLA Swansea too'...... Now the lass left in vehicle taxation at Swansea has only to issue 1,323,415 tax discs before Friday, oh and the old guy that was too expensive to make redundant has to lick 43,026 envelopes before he finishes this evening and that's before he and the other one left has to re-register 270 number plate change requests. It's like a ghost town there compared to years ago, but the number of vehicles is going up.

Lets hope his public schoolboy axe doesn't fall on the Vehicle Certification Agency for example - reduced type approval and certification - the ports will be choca, new models stuck at manufacturers and vehicles falling apart before their first MOT. Heaven forbid if he hits VOSA - MOT standards drop, tachograph abuse rises, drivers falling asleep, overloading, tyres bursting all over the place, cars splitting in half.....

I shudder to think what the outcomes of his 'vote gaining attempts' by hurting yet more Civil Servants that he will hit next - Highways Agency? break down and your on your own, signs swinging in the wind, holes deep enough to swallow the average RV and bridges falling down.

I can just imagine and visualise the conversation between the 'chancellor' and his rich buddys last night at the bistro,,,,,,,,, 'What about smacking the Environment Agency plebs',,,, what,,,, snort snort, 'pour us another Pims Alex'.
The rivers silt up, sewage starts back feeding into the crop fields - 'Oo, Oo what about the coastguard Mr Osborne'???? say's one of his chuckling cohorts - as you are sinking the answer machine replies, 'sorry you are in a cueing system' press one for your nearest landfall - it could go on and on,,,,,,,, and all to 'look good' and show his followers he is trying to reduce the deficit.

HIT THE BANKERS THAT CAUSED THIS MESS NOT THE PEOPLE THAT DO EVERYDAY THINGS WE ALL TAKE FOR GRANTED - SHOW US YOU HAVE AT LEAST AN INCH OF SPINE.......

Sorry,,,,,,, and I am not a Civil Servant by the way - just had an issue similar to the OP and still trying to sort - I have never seen such stress on the face of the young lass who was trying to sort me out and she had just finished with a guy that yelled at her for several minutes, she is a Civil Servant and was trying to do her best - probably earns less than Osborn's shirt ironer.

Trikeman. :winky:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Triikeman,
Don't mention cutting VOSA, they have enough problems.
They are already financially strapped, have been for some time, and they are about to amalgamate with Driver Standards Agency.
When that happens, the scope for cutting offices and management levels is mind boggling.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just been into the Northampton office and its too close on Dec 13th, all staff going, its a shame as its a busy office usually, lucky today put a new number on one of our vehicles in and out the office inside 10 minutes, there are at least 4 big car dealerships within minutes of the office, bet they are happy :Angry:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just been into the Northampton office and its too close on Dec 13th, all staff going, its a shame as its a busy office usually, lucky today put a new number on one of our vehicles in and out the office inside 10 minutes, there are at least 4 big car dealerships within minutes of the office, bet they are happy :Angry:

Manchester office closes on the same day with all of them redundant. I wonder if all the local offices are going to close on the same day around the country. Chaos looms :Eeek:.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
be a shame . the staff in pydar house in truro are brill . nothings too much trouble and they are so helpfull . i shall certainly miss them . almost every thing is done immediately . and log books arrive just a few days later . i do give them some hard times with rebuilds etc . but always so helpfull .

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Whats the DVLA got to do with Bankers?

We all know that the majority of Public Services are not efficient and even after the recent cuts in budgets, not many of us will have seen any difference in front line services (besides the potholes are still there and breeding.

They were discussing this and similar on the radio 4 three people interviewed.

One was a single mother of two, one child was 5 and the other 2, she was from Stafford, she was attending college and on benefits. She stated that she had felt no change after these cuts or the financial crisis. She then went on to say that she was better off as they had increased the hours for her cresh.

As far as I can see the only ones suffereing are those stupid ba$tards who bothered to turn up at school, got some exams, got a job, got up each and every day to bother earning a crust, saved and bought a house and more importantly paid their taxes. Theya re the ones who are suffering.

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Of coarse it won't bother them they have a chauffeur driven car at there disposal day and night, cast iron pension 16% pay rise in the offing, free food and drink, god knows what other perks they get we don't know about.

Why do we let it go on?, we should be out on the streets protesting, they have spent a fortune on new water cannons and they have not used them yet, a great big pile of rubber bullets and tear gas all stock piled and we do nothing.

Write to your MP rattle there cages, we have a parliament full of overpaid wise asses and an even bigger load of Lords and not one has gone up the road how can this be?, we know they do not know what there doing or we would not be in this mess, they want recovery for what the same thing will happen again when they to greedy and we will end up paying for it again.

What was the war time saying.

"WAKE UP BRITAIN"

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Cost cutting is the only criteria.
Has anyone any idea how much the house of [STRIKE]Geriatrics[/STRIKE] Lords costs?
They are unelected, have no legislative powers, just an advisory capacity.
How can they "advise" the Commons when they live in a different world?
They get substantial expenses, which we cant / don't need to afford.

Time to either get rid of them or elect a second house with powers.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
As I suspected, this closure is alresdy costing me money and causing me hassle, the documents and forms that I submitted at the VRO, who would have dealt with them there and then before, are somewhere in the DVLA system at Swansea. Nothing has been done with them, 8 working days on. The road tax for July, which I would have been able to reclaim, will be lost. Bloomin irritating. Jane

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Manchester office closes on the same day with all of them redundant. I wonder if all the local offices are going to close on the same day around the country. Chaos looms :Eeek:.

The DVLA closures are staggered over Oct.Nov & Dec, as they say lots of fat to lose in the civil service yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back