Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could get some advice from my fellow funsters regarding a 'grand tour' of Scotland? Me and my Wife are planning on spending a few weeks, setting off from Wigan around 28th June and using various CC Sites, together with a few nights wild camping if possible.

We will be taking our Parson Russell Terrier with us, so we are more interested in scenery and outdoor activities rather than going to visit historic sites, or Whisky Trails, etc., and the journey should take in a circuit around the coastline (West - North - East or opposite way round doesn't matter) as well as the occasional inland destination, so that we can see as much as possible during the trip and rather than just select an itinerary at random, we would welcome ideas from anyone who has undertaken a similar journey.

I understand that Midges can be a problem during certain times of the year in parts of Scotland, and they will no doubt be most prevalent just when we are planning to go? How bad are they and is it just a case of using the right repellent, or should some months be avoided completely? The reason I ask is that we are also planning to tour Ireland later in the year as well, and wondered whether we should change our plans around?:roflmto:

Thanks for any advice on this.:thumb:

Steve

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Enjoy your trip, here in Argyll we have been enjoying some great weather, not much midge activity yet but, if you can get hold of some Avon "Skin so soft" dry oil body spray it works very well, avoid still evenings at the waters edge or on the tree line.

I can recommend the CC sites at Carradale Bay and Bunree on the West Coast but there are so many places to visit especially if you include the islands, wild camping is not a problem in many places.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Try CCC Rosemarkie FFFantastic

::bigsmile::Smile:We are on tour at the moment and chose to drive up through past loch lomond and onto CC site at Oban, lovely, but pricey. Drove then along Caledonian canal to CCC Rosemarkie with the intention of staying a day or two, been here a week, front row facing the sea is non electric (12.50 for us oldies), fab views across the bay, everyday dolphins around to watch, especially if you walk about a mile to the lighthouse where they are visible only a few yards from the shore at certain times re tide. good walks along beach both ways, best site we have ever been on. going north on Sunday, as midges are a bit lively on west coast at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi don't forget Dumfries and Galloway so many people just by pass it and it is a stunning area has everything you could ask for and more. Also roads are a lot quieter and sites generally cheaper.

If you want any info feel free to ask as I'm based in Dumfries and MhVirgins are further west.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
A said I would head up the west coast over to Skye then certainly Rosmarkie and dornoch then up to john of groats if you fancy going that far north
There is a really good walk at Rosmarkie up the fairy glen start is about 15 mins from campsite
East coast not as scenic as the west but some mat disagree

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Oooooohhhh! Difficult to suggest where to go and what to miss out, because there are so many lovely spots to see. As Gerry has already mentioned Dumfries & Galloway is lovely, much quieter and unspoilt. Most people tend to fly on up the M74 and miss us out. If you are going to venture along the A75, we have a CL up behind us and there are some nice walks around us too. Your little dog will love it, we're not far from the beach and if you're interested in wildlife and bird-watching (red kites), then there's plenty of that around us.
Just an idea, if you do decide to come across this far, the ferry from Cairnryan will take you across to Belfast.
Someone said the east coast isn't as scenic as the west and I have always preferred the west coast. But last year we went from Edinburgh up to the East Neuk of Fife, and there are some beautiful little places around there. Elie, Crail, Pittemweem and then continue on up to St. Andrews:thumb:
Wherever you decide to go, enjoy your trip.........the midges were out tonight, but the weather conditions were just right for them:Sad:
Margaret

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Scotland

Phew touring Scotland, you`re going to need more than one trip that`s for sure.

We went 3 years ago for a month and have just got back from a 3 week tour, someone suggested to us that you drive up the East coast and return via the West coast, apparently the views are better this way, have to say they were spot on.
We ahve used caravan club sites and independants all good, also look out for those wild camping spots and CL sites.
Sango Sands in Durness is an excellent site, if you`re lucky you`ll get to see the Porpoise when they swim into the bay.
John 0`groats was very dissappointing but we suppose you have to go just to say you been there, the west coast does have it`s midge problem so much so we have seen walkers dressed like Bee Keepers to save getting bit, don`t see the enjoyment in having to dress like that just for a walk.
Never been bothered with midges on the east coast, there are some spectacular beaches along the east coast.
Wherever you go we hope you have a fantastic time, we did and have already planned a month for next year.:thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
C & CC THS rally near Aberfeldy for 5 days last week, brilliant weather, 5 days on a delightful camp-site at Alyth near Blairgowrie to meet up with the family weather again brilliant with them camped alongside. BBQ tonight at 7pm temperature 22 deg C bring it on. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• Alyth01.jpg
    Alyth01.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Aberfeldy01.jpg
    Aberfeldy01.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi, we did a three week tour last March/April (too early for the midges, and we got lucky with the weather). Started at the CC site in Edinburgh for a couple of days of culture, then went up to a site just outside St Andrews, not for golf, thoughI do play, but just to see the place - and worth the trip.

Then up to Buckie/Elgin, a lovely stretch of coast and with its own micro climate, then across to the C & CC site at Inverewe. Great location right on the shore of Loch Ewe, with terrific cycling down the loch to the memorial site at the end to the Russian Convoy heroes. Also some good walking round there. Then we took the bridge route across to Skye and had a wonderful 3 or 4 nights on the club site there. Did some more cycling and found a beautiful, Mediterranean-blue coral beach at Dunvegan. Wish we'd spent longer on Skye, will next time. Then crossed by ferry to Mallaig and camped on a site right on the beach looking back towards Skye, for just a few quid. A perfect spot.

After that, we headed home via the Lake District. Next time we will spend longer on the west side and maybe go to some of the other islands as well as Skye, but if the weather is right, the trip is second to none, and unlike Cornwall where we live now, the narrow roads all seemed to have well designed passing places, ie ones from which you could a tally see to the next one along!

If I had to choose 2 of the locations we visited, Loch Ewe and Skye would get my vote, but with only two trips under our belt, we have barely scratched the surface.

Happy travels,

Gary ::bigsmile:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We've just come back from Scotland, left Magbrin Nurseries around 10.45 am yesterday and got back indoors at around 12.30 this morning, wild camped most of the time, used Sheldaig for couple of days, and put some money in the honesty box, lovely site watched some lovely sunsets.
The midges are just about coming out, as said before Avon So Soft.
Returning back to Scotland after Roger's shindig.

Attachments

• P1040125.jpg
    P1040125.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 25
  • P1040178.jpg
    P1040178.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1040437.jpg
    P1040437.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 28
  • P1040571.jpg
    P1040571.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Steve304

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
:thumb:Thanks again to everyone for your ideas. There are certainly plenty of options to choose from and we should have a wonderful trip as a result.

Steve::bigsmile:

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Hi don't forget Dumfries and Galloway so many people just by pass it and it is a stunning area has everything you could ask for and more. Also roads are a lot quieter and sites generally cheaper.

If you want any info feel free to ask as I'm based in Dumfries and MhVirgins are further west.

We are just finishing our visit to Dumfries and Galloway. We stayed at Dallbeattie (Glenearly campsite) now at Portpatrick, a lovely village with great walks and you can see the coast of Ireland. Off to Loch Lomond in a couple of days.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are just finishing our visit to Dumfries and Galloway. We stayed at Dallbeattie (Glenearly campsite) now at Portpatrick, a lovely village with great walks and you can see the coast of Ireland. Off to Loch Lomond in a couple of days.

Glad you enjoyed, you have had some nice weather while here. We live in Dumfries so never stayed at the site in Dalbeattie but have used the one in the town center when at a wedding think its called isle croft. Yes Portpartrick is lovely and can have some lovely views.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back