Finding right Motorhome (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We're actively looking for a Motorhome, we've checked out and discounted panel van conversions and A-class.

We also have a length limit of 6m or under.

Looked at a Chausson S3 and McLouis Lagan 202, liked the layout of these with the rear bunks. As most of the time it would just be for us two, but with a possibility of taking grandkids away in the future, we think that the rear bunks and the make up bed of the dinette would be sufficient and therefore have no use for the overcab.

So our question to you knowledgeable folks is;

Are there any Coachbuilt motorhomes that you know of which are 6m or under and lowprofile, which have rear bunks ?

Thanks, Geordies

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Not sure why you are discounting overcab beds. Our grandkids love sleeping up there and they make a great storage area during the day or when there are only two of us.
I would suggest that you try and look at as many models as possible. If you can get to a show then you have the opportunity to look at a lot more deigns and layouts.
You are going to be spending a lot of money so try and research and make sure you get the right model for you. Good luck.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Not sure why you are discounting overcab beds. Our grandkids love sleeping up there and they make a great storage area during the day or when there are only two of us.
I would suggest that you try and look at as many models as possible. If you can get to a show then you have the opportunity to look at a lot more deigns and layouts.
You are going to be spending a lot of money so try and research and make sure you get the right model for you. Good luck.:thumb::thumb:

Having had a small camper van we know the tedium of making up and making down the beds. So we would use the bunk beds for us and let any future grandkids have the make up bed.

Therefore the overcab would be just used for stowing light objects, but the downside of that is the lower fuel consumption.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
More important perhaps, for taking your grandchildren, is that there are sufficient belted travel seats and that they are capable of being used with child seats/boosters if necessary.

If you haven't done so already it would be worth talking to Camper NE at Birtley. They give great service.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

Agree there - when we used to hire, any child under 12 made a beeline for the overcab bed ......it is a 'den' thing! Interestingly, those over twelve waited until we were out of sight before they dived up!:ROFLMAO:

Overcabs are also great for storage of bedding etc when you are out for the day. Throw it up, put the security net up and close the curtain - all gone and ready for bed time!

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Agree there - when we used to hire, any child under 12 made a beeline for the overcab bed ......it is a 'den' thing! Interestingly, those over twelve waited until we were out of sight before they dived up!:ROFLMAO:

Overcabs are also great for storage of bedding etc when you are out for the day. Throw it up, put the security net up and close the curtain - all gone and ready for bed time!

Yes, I take your point about easy storage of bedding, but would you not also have that facility with the bunk beds?

I'm told that you lose @3mpg just by having an overcab, which on a mh such as talked about above would be about 10%. Which is a bit of a hit in the wallet.

What we really need is a detachable overcab which can be zipped on and off as required !! :roflmto: :roflmto: :roflmto:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yes, I take your point about easy storage of bedding, but would you not also have that facility with the bunk beds?

I'm told that you lose @3mpg just by having an overcab, which on a mh such as talked about above would be about 10%. Which is a bit of a hit in the wallet.

What we really need is a detachable overcab which can be zipped on and off as required !! :roflmto: :roflmto: :roflmto:

It is what you decide! That is the thing with motorhomes, one thing suits one and not another.
Having seen a few with bunks, I feel they take up floor space - that is my personal take on it. One I saw was the same as ours, but an extra berth created by bunks - it was so cramped, you wondered what the builders were thinking in making it on that length chassis.

You may use an extra tenner on an average tour - but is it worth it for the extra room? Would that space negate the use of an awning, which you would spend that saving on fuel on extra pitch fees and weight?

This is the fun of motorhome hunting! It is an absolute headache!::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi go to a few shows and look what is on offer, under 6 mtr and low profile limits your choices.Stick to your guns the right van is out there somewhere. Layout is the most important thing in any van.I don't necessary agree with what you want , (for us feet up lounging) but I am sure you will try it all out before buying. Good luck and happy hunting
Terry

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As Terry said above - no substitute for the Mk 1 eyeball. We looked at loads that were fine on paper and then either downright pokey inside (or cosy..... whichever way you look at it) or compromised in one way or another. Even then, having found something we thought was ideal, discovered that it actually wasn't but not enough of an issue to want to change. If you can find your perfect van then you are either very lucky or very well researched.

You will know it when you see it and take your time - it is a buyers market. hope that helps :thumb:

Edit: - ours is a 4 berth but like many others only for the two of us. Plenty of room and we accept the overcab MPG penalty for the extra storage space for bedding, chairs etc. Took the view that when spending over 40K on a van, MPG was not a major consideration for our max 6000 miles a year

Edit 2: The single most important thing after layout is payload - make sure. Someone on here made it a very sensible condition of purchase that they took it over a weighbridge on the test drive and were appalled that an empty van with no water and little fuel only had limited capacity. It was a deal breaker.....

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back