freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i read a post a week or so ago about someone connecting there cab radio to the status flying saucer aerial , can not find it now and just wondering how they got on with reception

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Given that it is a few bent bits of wire (folded dipoles) and a preamp .... I guess it will work but there are probably better aerials - depending on what you want to use it for: FM, MW or DAB.

The interesting picture of the insides is Broken Link Removed.

Cheers

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I did this a few weeks ago myself, as the radio reception was crap at best and absolutely s**t at worst. I have to say things have improved dramaticly however it is not always perfect, but def worh doing, all youhave to do is to climb up onto the roof to extend the antennae (leave them fully extended) and then turn on the status when you listen to the radio. Just remeber if you do use the status with the tv and turn it 90 degrees turn toi back horizontal before lowering the pole.

I researched the correct arial coaxial and went with this

Broken Link Removed

Even though it is shielded I routed it away from all other powered cables. As I say not 100% but 100% better than before if that makes sense.

Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I am thinking of connecting my cab radio to the flying saucer amplifier as that has a FM Aeriel socket to use whilst driving as my reception is terrible on the screen aerial i fitted

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We fitted an external aerial to the Fiat cab - I know it is not what you are intending, but might be easier to achieve - Link Broken

Russell

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Given that it is a few bent bits of wire (folded dipoles) and a preamp .... I guess it will work but there are probably better aerials - depending on what you want to use it for: FM, MW or DAB.

The interesting picture of the insides is Broken Link Removed.

Cheers

which in turn is no better than this maxview version.

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i have completed the connection of my cab radio to the status flying saucer Ariel , the Ariel extension lead all hidden and very tidy, i am very pleased with the reception that it has given me and allowed me to find many more stations , it even picks up stations on MW and LW now, this is with the amp turned of , so should be ok whilst driving:Smile:, when i turned the amp on and the booster was set to high i received some interference on some local stations ,turned the amp to low and the interference went:Smile: at a cost of £11.99 for 2x 4 meter Ariel extension leads and not having to drill the van wing i am pleased ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I did this a few weeks ago myself, as the radio reception was crap at best and absolutely s**t at worst. I have to say things have improved dramaticly however it is not always perfect, but def worh doing, all youhave to do is to climb up onto the roof to extend the antennae (leave them fully extended) and then turn on the status when you listen to the radio. Just remeber if you do use the status with the tv and turn it 90 degrees turn toi back horizontal before lowering the pole.

I researched the correct arial coaxial and went with this

Broken Link Removed

Even though it is shielded I routed it away from all other powered cables. As I say not 100% but 100% better than before if that makes sense.

Hope this helps

I gather you are only using the aerial for FM reception then ?
It is NOT the correct cable for mw reception at all.
That is 75 ohm unbalanced feed coax which is great form frequencies above say 20 meg but below,.,, no.. car radio antenna cable is pretty weird stuff. To 'kid' the radio into believing it has an aerial that is suitable for lower frequencies the centre core is actually concertina'd and is about 8 x longer than the outer ! :winky:

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Well I have a status 530 so I ran a coax through to the radio, the signal is worse than what I had on the wing aerial. Starting to think the radio is naff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back