Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Morning,

I have just installed a second battery and a 100W solar panel kit. All went well with no disasters so I am rather pleased about that.

However I am a bit confused by the output the solar controller is showing on the LCD.

The controller tells me it is working as it should be. However when I connect the EHU the controller sees an increase in battery voltage as you should expect I think.

However when I look at the PV output now the voltage of this has also increased in-line with the batteries. My question is should this be the case I would have thought the reading for the PV output should not increase as a result of connecting to EHU. ?

When not connected to the charger the PV output and battery Voltages seem to the same, which is also a bit odd I think?

I have two batteries connected in parallel, all connections are spread across both batteries for example the battery charger connects to the positive on one battery and the negative on the other.

Any ideas / comments would be great

Finally I am pleased I saved myself £500 by doing the PV install myself.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,

I'm about to start this process myself. Could you give a bit more detail of exactly what you did. I particular I would like to hear chapter and verse on how you fixed the solar panel to the MH.

I intend to:
1. add a second battery.
2. install a battery monitor.
3. install a 1500W inverter.
4. add 2 x 100W solar panels and controller.

As things a interdependent on each other the tasks can't sensibly be total separated, but my latest thoughts are that items 3 and 4 will probably be done in reversed order.

Gordon

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Morning,

I have just installed a second battery and a 100W solar panel kit. All went well with no disasters so I am rather pleased about that.

However I am a bit confused by the output the solar controller is showing on the LCD.

The controller tells me it is working as it should be. However when I connect the EHU the controller sees an increase in battery voltage as you should expect I think.

However when I look at the PV output now the voltage of this has also increased in-line with the batteries. My question is should this be the case I would have thought the reading for the PV output should not increase as a result of connecting to EHU. ?

When not connected to the charger the PV output and battery Voltages seem to the same, which is also a bit odd I think?

I have two batteries connected in parallel, all connections are spread across both batteries for example the battery charger connects to the positive on one battery and the negative on the other.

Any ideas / comments would be great

Finally I am pleased I saved myself £500 by doing the PV install myself.

yes yes and yes.

The output from the charger is considerably more than that which you are likely to get from the solar panel.
That output will push the voltage up..
Because the voltage is being pushed higher the output voltage from the solar panel will also rise ( put simply cos it can ! )

So all sounds normal and spot on :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CJB

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Hi,

I'm about to start this process myself. Could you give a bit more detail of exactly what you did. I particular I would like to hear chapter and verse on how you fixed the solar panel to the MH.

I intend to:
1. add a second battery.
2. install a battery monitor.
3. install a 1500W inverter.
4. add 2 x 100W solar panels and controller.

As things a interdependent on each other the tasks can't sensibly be total separated, but my latest thoughts are that items 3 and 4 will probably be done in reversed order.

Gordon

Adding the battery was pretty easy just need to make sure it wont move aound when travelling, I also put a strap over the top just in case.

I purchased a solar panel kit which included everything I needed to do the job, The solar panel came with brackets I just used a bonding agent to fix them to the MH no screws.

The only hole I needed to make was for the solar power cable, I used a gland fitting to ensure it is water tight.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
What maximum voltage setting did you set the controller to? Also what minimu:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back