Data sim card for use in France which one ! (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I am going to France in a few weeks and use my ipad to searc and stuff ( motorhome fun also !) can anyone recommend a sim cardfor this type of use:thumb:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I am going to France in a few weeks and use my ipad to searc and stuff ( motorhome fun also !) can anyone recommend a sim cardfor this type of use:thumb:

Prepaid GSM has the latest offers - it depends how much data you will require, and they do change. You will need to take in proof of ID such as a Passport and give your Campsite address :Smile:

Cheers

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Just a thought:

You can buy a fon unit and plug in at home .... then you can use theLink Removed sites in France for free!

The Broken Link Removed is only £34 and gives you access to many Hotspots around the world for free once you have yours activated at home .... works for BT WiFi in the UK too! See here for the Broken Link Removed on this.

Cheers

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just a thought:

You can buy a fon unit and plug in at home .... then you can use theLink Removed sites in France for free!

The Broken Link Removed is only £34 and gives you access to many Hotspots around the world for free once you have yours activated at home .... works for BT WiFi in the UK too!

Cheers

Not quite got the handle on this, does it work if you are a BT broadband customer ?

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
If you are a BT Broadband customer and have BT WiFi access then you can access SFR and many other overseas WiFi networks - Link Removed. ::bigsmile:

Cheers

PS Not sure if this chargeable with BT WiFi, have only tried it with FON, would be interested in knowing the answer if anybody has really tried it out on SFR with a BT WiFi subscription!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you are not a BT customer you can buy a Fon box for about £30 that will give you access all over Europe with no further charges.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
If you are not a BT customer you can buy a Fon box for about £30 that will give you access all over Europe with no further charges.

been bt boardband customer for years but never been able to lock on wifi in france. Has anyone actually use this system to lock on and if you do , can you please post how ?? I am currently in France using Mac wifi
Many thanks

Deleted User
At the moment Orange have a data sim for €8 and a data charge system called 'let's go' with various rates. I have 2Gb valid for 1 month at €20, I use it in an unlocked dongle but the sim card is dual micro or standard and I think that makes it suitable for tablets etc.

The only drawback is that recharging can only be done in the shop and then activated by phone but I usually get the staff to do it for me. No ID necessary and UK credit cards accepted or (presumably) cash.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I've been using SFR for the past 2 months in France bought the sim with 2gig for 30 euros. Topped up 30 euros and still using it. I use the Internet a fair bit too.

Lin

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
If you are a BT Broadband customer and have BT WiFi access then you can access SFR and many other overseas WiFi networks - Link Removed. ::bigsmile:

Cheers

PS Not sure if this chargeable with BT WiFi, have only tried it with FON, would be interested in knowing the answer if anybody has really tried it out on SFR with a BT WiFi subscription!

You don't have to be a BT customer to buy and then access the fon network, all info and buy one here http://corp.fon.com/#what-is-fon
coverage fon
http://maps.fon.com/

coverage BT, etc etc
Broken Link Removed

I`m using one now a choice of 16 hotspots fon and BT works on both (Stratford show):Smile:

cheers

Porscha

Free Member
Apr 9, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
Hi,

Did you have any trouble using the unlocked dongle? I bought an unlocked Huwai MiFi and cannot for the life of me get it to work on a Giff Gaff data SIM. I know you need to input the settings for GG but I have tried and failed. Off to France on Thurs so might have to buy a MiFi and SIM when I get there Any other ideas for quick cheap internet in France before I go??

Cheers,
:thumb:

At the moment Orange have a data sim for €8 and a data charge system called 'let's go' with various rates. I have 2Gb valid for 1 month at €20, I use it in an unlocked dongle but the sim card is dual micro or standard and I think that makes it suitable for tablets etc.

The only drawback is that recharging can only be done in the shop and then activated by phone but I usually get the staff to do it for me. No ID necessary and UK credit cards accepted or (presumably) cash.

Deleted User
Hi,

Did you have any trouble using the unlocked dongle? I bought an unlocked Huwai MiFi and cannot for the life of me get it to work on a Giff Gaff data SIM. I know you need to input the settings for GG but I have tried and failed. Off to France on Thurs so might have to buy a MiFi and SIM when I get there Any other ideas for quick cheap internet in France before I go??

Cheers,
:thumb:

The unlocked Huwai dongle came with a europasim which is basically vodafone Italy and I had to put the settings(VPN ?) for that in when I first used it and worked OK.

I then bought the Orange France sim and found out the setting for that network, possibly orange.fr, I forget. Sim worked OK and I recharged in the Orange shop without a problem.

Can't help with the Giff Gaff mainly because I have never heard of it but I would imagine the network settings are the problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back