Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
18 months
Does anyone have an electric bike? How far will they go on a charge? How heavy are they? How much do they cost? How quick? Will I get one on my bike rack, i.e. are they pick upable?

Any info will be appreciated.

Brian :Smile:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Quite a few on here, I believe have the e-bike

Mine is the "Alien Aurora" have a look on their site

not a lightweight but quick and great for the hills also a forum here

take the battery out when on the bike rack and carries it nicely

Link Removed

I got mine from an eBay listing & bought it off site for a fraction of original pp ,I recon the guy was frightened of it ,as it was like new 20months old

there were, and are some up on the fleabay site so are quite gettable :Smile:

Last edited:

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have two, both "liftable" being in the region of 19Kg without the batteries. They say they have a range of around 50 miles depending on how much effort you put in and the lie of the land (hills) we use ours on the cycle tracks here in the Forest which are very hilly and we haven't run the batteries down yet.
Our bikes were both in the region of £1300.00 but well worth it, we are looking forward to using um in Spain this winter. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Buy decent push bikes and keep yourself fit. Done wonders for my rhumatoid arthritis ..BUSBY::bigsmile:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
electric bikes

Does anyone have an electric bike? How far will they go on a charge? How heavy are they? How much do they cost? How quick? Will I get one on my bike rack, i.e. are they pick upable?

Any info will be appreciated.

Brian :Smile:

We have electric bikes. We chose ours because they were about the lightest. 18kgs without battery. We paid just under £1000 but you can buy cheaper. They do fit on most bike racks. They are heavy compared to the average push bike but quite manageable. Ours are supposed to do 18 miles on a charge but actually do less but I'm quite overweight so slimmer people would get better mileage. There are other models now which achieve much better mileage I believe. I believe the speed limit is fixed by law at 14 miles per hour - plenty fast enough on a cycle path. Our particular model is quite easy to ride without power so you can economise on the battery when on the flat.

We would hate to be without our e-bikes but most won't take you up very steep hills without considerable effort. They don't do all the work but help a lot. To get the most out of the battery you do have to pedal assist most of the time but when tired and close to home you usually have a freewheel option as you know the battery will soon be re-charged.

The best bikes are the dearest and heaviest so not suitable for the average bike rack but there are plenty of different models now from small folding to regular 24/26 inch wheels. Try out every possible model you can find and consider hiring one for an hour or so to see what you think.

There are much more powerful bikes than ours on the market now but these tend to be quite heavy I believe. Hope this helps.

PS Be warned - batteries don't last much more than two years and can cost around £200 to replace.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
PS Be warned - batteries don't last much more than two years and can cost around £200 to replace.

I suppose some must only last that long.. Our middle of the road ( price wise ) ones from Peter ( AS Bikes )are now coming up to 4 years old and so far show NO signs of any issues what so ever.. Admittedly we have not done any massive 20 mile + rides recently but 12 mile+ ones just a couple of weeks ago were fine
I am afraid it is still a case of our bums giving out LONG before the batteries do !!!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have the AS Bikes, (1/large & 1/small) and they work fine. Probably not the cheapest and definitely not the dearest on the market but second to none for spares back-up and service.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have an AS bike as well and have been very pleased with it, got the one that goes that little bit further on one battery charge - around £750 I think:thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am shortly going to pick up an AS bike - theoretically for my wife............:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am shortly going to pick up an AS bike - theoretically for my wife............:winky:

Thats how we started ! Pretty soon I wanted one for myself.. then my sister wanted one, then my daughter, then a couple of friends .. then.. wellllllllllll.. you get the picture.. Lord knows how many bikes we have sold for Peter but nary a problem with a single one

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Do they all steer the right way though?:winky:

Not such a daft question, we have 2 AS folding electric bikes, the wheels are 20" and they do get a bit of getting used to, definitely not as stable as a 26" wheel. Also if I were buying again I would go for the 36volt versions, I've got the 24 volt ones and me being disabled I do rely on the power a lot.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You haven't seen his bike, have you:winky:

Point taken though - small wheels are a bit less stable

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! Now THERES an idea.. Motorise the backward steering one !!!
Pure, undiluted chaos !!!!!!!!!!

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Has anyone tried the kits to convert a bike to battery? I've seen them on ebay for under £200. Kathy (wife) has a medical problem which stops her riding her bike, it's a lightweight bike and if the kit will work it would be the best way to get back to cycling for both of us.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My bike does about 15 miles to the pint on the flat. I drink more beer when its hilly. More reliable than electric and it keeps me fit. Not ready to take it easy yet.BUSBY::bigsmile:

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
I converted our two bycicles using kits bought from Alienbikes. Had them over 3 years now and still performing well?

Bob:thumb:

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Electric bikes

Toby,

We have two Raleigh/Khalkoff Agattu with 10amp panasonic batteries, each with spares batteries which were an additional £750 per battery. Their range is superb and all batteries have all their cells working, its easily tested on the Panasonic system. We tend to carry a Honda scooter and mountain bikes more nowadays and would probably sell the electric bikes in anyone interested.
Range wise, you can cover an easy 40 miles maybe more in flatter areas then you swap batteries, we have done plenty 70 mile days. To give you some idea, last summer on Sardinia, we climbed from the beach to the TV antenna at 1100m on them, about 3800 foot rise in 19 miles .

Phil

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Forgot to mention that our bikes prob have battery life of approx 30 miles but it all depents on what power setting you use, your weight and the terrains :ROFLMAO:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
We have a pair of freego bikes They were the best suited to ride with Rosies back injury about a grand each, do about 25-30miles on a charge and the batteries are guaranteed two years.........having said all of that if any cycle would suit the boss I would Look no further than AS bikes........why..........well maybe not the best you can buy but by no means the most expensive but the service you will get and continue to get from Peter will make them long term the best that money can buy.........so there is a recomendation from someone who didn't buy from him is no way connected to him and if you mention my name he wouldn't have clue who you were talking about :thumb:

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back