Going to France? warning! (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Haute Pyrénées and Haute Garonne (where I live) in a bit of a shock this morning!

Yesterday evening a few departement were given a warning about possible floods! Orange alert they said ...yeah right (mind you I happened to listen to local radio and was aware of red alert instead!!)

A complete disaster this morning... a few towns (Lourdes to name one you could know)being completly flooded!

A lot of tourists just as locals were either trapped or saved by the firefighters or even taken away by helicopter!

If you intend to go or are already in France , be aware that the red alert is maintained down the atlantic coast !! Red alert is not a joke... Stay where you are or you'll have to face terrible floods without knowing whether you'll escape the danger!!! All campsites will be shut in any case , so if you've booked no one will be angry if you're not getting there in time. Just stay safe , don't give more work!

Northern part of France is now on orange alert too.

Use this link to know where to go/stay or where NOT to go!

Broken Link Removed

What it looks like

http://midi-pyrenees.france3.fr/201...-de-la-situation-en-midi-pyrenees-272279.html

Frankie

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Blimey, I hope it improves soon. We are off to France next weekend for Le Tour and was planning on watching one of the Pyrenees stages. May have to have a back up plan. :Sad:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm on the Atlantic coast and its been rather wet here for the past few days.:cry: Thanks for the information Frankie.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
that's our plans changed (again) - we are (were) heading down that way!! our second option was the south west on the med but that looks iffy now...:cry:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We will be heading down through Belgium and Luxembourg en route for Italy on Friday. Are there any reports of flooding in that neck of the woods please?
:helptitanic::rain::rain:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Timely post! We are in the Jura and I think we will stay in the East. Wow!

Steve

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the warning frankie, we are near macon and thinking of diverting to the west to make our way north. shall now stay well and truly clear.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We are currently at Agde and due to head towards Toulouse and continue north to the Dordogne. I wonder if we will be affected?
Wyn

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
that's our plans changed (again) - we are (were) heading down that way!! our second option was the south west on the med but that looks iffy now...:cry:

Well Bungy just be patient for one or 2 more days then you should be able to drive down there safely!
I'll keep you informed.

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
We will be heading down through Belgium and Luxembourg en route for Italy on Friday. Are there any reports of flooding in that neck of the woods please?
:helptitanic::rain::rain:

Belgium will be sunny tomorrow but then you'll get into France and this is the updated map of the alerts at 4.00pm today

http://france.meteofrance.com/vigilance/Accueil

I would do it but slowly , I don't think it will be very risky . May be you could make your way through towns where there is no river to flood the area? You surely have a map with you to help:winky:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Timely post! We are in the Jura and I think we will stay in the East. Wow!

Steve

Yes Jura is one of the safest place at the moment :thumb:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
We are currently at Agde and due to head towards Toulouse and continue north to the Dordogne. I wonder if we will be affected?
Wyn

Will make some searches first to give you the best way to get to Toulouse! Must now go to feed the babies who just woke up of their afternoon nap, so not forgetting you just a bit busy right now !!

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Ok you shouldn't have any trouble getting to Toulouse using either the motorway or the national road n°113.

Here is the last report about the departement of AUDE where Agde is. It says no problem to drive through the departement, be careful though.

Scroll down a bit , and you'll find a link (INFOROUTE11) to a map telling you if any danger at all.

You even have the speed trackers on it:winky:

Safe travel ...oh and if you're fed up with the rain you can always stop at my place ... I'll dry you up with ...some wine or champagne...or both::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Hi Frankie

We are coming over on Saturday heading down to Perpignan, I have been watching Meteo France, we are hoping that the storms will have moved away by the weekend!
Thanks for the warnings.

Bob & Lesley

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie

We are coming over on Saturday heading down to Perpignan, I have been watching Meteo France, we are hoping that the storms will have moved away by the weekend!
Thanks for the warnings.

Bob & Lesley

I do hope that this awful weather will turn into a warm and sunny one! Meteo France should be the best site to keep you informed on how things go!

And of course you're also welcome to Balma if you want to drink ....what will be left by the previous visitors :roflmto:

Amicalement

ps: still pouring down here .... yukkk

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I'm on the Atlantic coast and its been rather wet here for the past few days.:cry: Thanks for the information Frankie.:thumb:

Poor you .... not what you would expect coming to France ... Well you'll have to join the french and cross your fingers.... may be the Lucky charm will work!

Amicalement

aileenc

Free Member
Jun 17, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The Lot area

We were in Carlucet, near Rocamadour until this morning, last night we had a severe storm, I can only describe the hailstones as being the size of golf balls! Our Motorhome looks like its been through a war, canon ball dents all over one side so big insurance claim now. Most of the Vans on the site were damaged, tents ripped to shreads, needless to say most of us left this morning and we decided to head for Provence, got to say when we left weather was iffy for half hour on the motorway but then cleared up and we had a really good journey down. So nice to see the Sunshine again! We are going back to Carlucet on Monday so hopefully weather will be a bit better then!

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
Surely without dampening your post, insurance will not pay out as its a natural happening in the world of weather?

We were in Carlucet, near Rocamadour until this morning, last night we had a severe storm, I can only describe the hailstones as being the size of golf balls! Our Motorhome looks like its been through a war, canon ball dents all over one side so big insurance claim now. Most of the Vans on the site were damaged, tents ripped to shreads, needless to say most of us left this morning and we decided to head for Provence, got to say when we left weather was iffy for half hour on the motorway but then cleared up and we had a really good journey down. So nice to see the Sunshine again! We are going back to Carlucet on Monday so hopefully weather will be a bit better then!

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
We are off to Agde next week. Fingers crossed!

aileenc

Free Member
Jun 17, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Surely without dampening your post, insurance will not pay out as its a natural happening in the world of weather?

Phoned our Insurance Company this morning and they said they will cover it, it seems to be dependant with who you are insured with as some campers have been told they are covered and some have been told 'Act of God', motto seems to be get a good Insurance!

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
http://france.meteofrance.com/vigilance/Accueil

Getting much better today!!

Still flooded places down the atlantic coast but no more alert!

Northern Est now is on orange alert , but it should quickly settle to a nicer weather!

Safe travel to all!

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
thanks Frankie :thumb:

in just over 12hrs well be on the eurotunnel and heading downards towards sun (and possibly some reprobate funsters down the west coast somewhere)

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
As Frankie has said, there is no problem over most of France; as with floods in the UK they occur in specific areas. Here in the Limousin as throughout Europe, it seems, it has been an unsettled Spring, but it does not seem to have put off motorhomers in general, as our guests numbers are running slightly ahead of last year. It helps that we have decent hardstandings, of course, but we have had tenters and caravanners on our lawn pitches, which are good and well grassed.
So do not be put off by the weather - there are still plenty of places to visit away from Lourdes and other such areas, and campsites are open - just be selective and do some research to check that you will not have problems at any site.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back