Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
Hiring
Exp
Hi,

Im hiring a motorhome in a couple of weeks with a couple of friends for the 1st time!

We are slightly confused on the electric side of things - we wont have electric hook-up at any point of our trip so we just have a leisure battery and a solar panel fitted according to the hirers.

What would we be able to put into the plugs to use? Can we use things iphone chargers, hairdryers etc??

Will the fridge run off the leisure battery. We are setting up camp on Wednesday afternoon and leaving Monday morning - will the battery last?

Thank you for your help in advance!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Oooooer I suspect you may get enough answers to confuse you and I suggest you ask the question to the person hiring it to you.

But as a generalisation none of the three pin plugs will work when off hook up neither will the fridge work of battery when the engine is turned off but it should be possible to run it off gas

It is possible to run the other bits off the 12 volt circuit with inverters but I doubt you will want to go to this expense.

Basically anything you could already charge using the cigar lighter socket you will still be able to use

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As laneside says - run the fridge on gas, cheaper and less drain. Hairdriers will kill you battery life, even with inverters. You may need to be resourceful as far as drying your hair goes. Have a look at where you are going and check out truck stops or similar that may have mains power.
The battery should last you four days, especially with the solar panel and some good weather. Try not to waste power though!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adam1234

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
Hiring
Exp
Thank you for your replies! The hirer company dont really answer my questions very well!!

We will have to purchase a 9v hairdryer.

Iphone chargers wont work either in the sockets? Will that have to be 9v too?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adam1234

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
Hiring
Exp
I will probably purchase one of these - so we can charge a few phones at one time.

Link Removed

Good idea hey?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
looks like you're on the right track, you need to buy in car chargers for your phone/s. if you look around you can get a universal one with various tips, so could use this to charge a few phones but one at a time.

forget 12v hairdryers they're useless and would take a week to get hair dry

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
forget 12v hairdryers they're useless and would take a week to get hair dry

and still run the battery flat. Go swimming and then dry off in the sun. Don't expect the water in the van to last a couple of weeks especially if you all like a shower every day. A) you will run out of water and B) you will flatten your battery. Off site for 2 weeks you will have to plan where to get water and where to empty your grey tank as well as the cassette I suspect you may need to visit a site every other day to fill up and empty out with three of you. wild camping or off site camping is not easy to the beginner when you have no idea how long anything lasts. Plus if off site in a public place you will not be able to drink if you value your licence.
But it's still an adventure enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

adam1234

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
Hiring
Exp
Hot water

Thank you for all your replies.

Just wondered how the hot water works when you are not on hook up. Can i get hot water still ??

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yes you should be able to warm the water with a gas heater if that fails it's boiling the kettle jobbie

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back