Help i have put water in the petrol tank ! (1 Viewer)

elly01

Free Member
Jun 17, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Please can you help me, by mistake I put water in the petrol tank, I have got a tube to try and syphon it out but it just wont go far enough down to reach the tank, there seems a lot of bends that it has to go round. Please can anyone tell me if there is a knack of how to do it? Much appreciate your help. My camper is a 1987 talbot merlin.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Drain tank? There should be a nut on the bottom of the tank somewhere?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i dont recall the layout of the talbot fuel tank, but if I remember correct it has a fuel pipe at the bottom on one side. place a container underneath and disconnect the fuel pipe to drain it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Oh the joys of anti-syphon traps.

It might be possible to drain the tank without removal but, given that you are dealing with petrol, it might be best to let a garage do it.

Your breakdown cover should pay for getting it there.

Looking on the bright side it would have been worse had you put petrol in the water system.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Don't what ever you do NOT try run it
Look under tank and see if there is a drain bung
Or take of feeder pipe from tank to engine and syphon it from there will be slow but will work
If you ran it till it stopped you will need to clean out pipes and carb
if not you may possibly get Away with it
2 things
If you don't know what your doing get help
If your doing it yourself petrol is explosive and its fumes are worse be very careful

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The water will now be at the bottom of the tank, so drain it off from there, BUT if you dont know what you are doing get the AA or RAC if you are a member

Peter

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Snap but you're not getting my award!
Broken Link Removed
Depending on the age of your vehicle,older ones have drain plugs newer models have plastic tanks which have to be removed.
My vehicle is an 3 year old A-class, I was recovered to home and called out Speedstart
Link Removed
cost me ÂŁ300 They did say a petrol job is ÂŁ120

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just put petrol in my diesel tank today :Doh:

I watched carefully when my mechanic was sorting it out for me.

He disconnected the fuel line from engine and connected a pump.
This was taking ages but he said because mine was an old model it doesn't have the "tank purge" option in the software otherwise he would just use the big pump built into the engine. Because it didn't have that option in software it times out after 10 seconds of running. I offered to stand and turn the ignition on and off to keep the pump running. took about 10 minutes to empty 20 liters :thumb:

Just done the 114 mile run down to Stratford without issues:thumb:

As others have said, not worth buggering up your engine if you don't know what you are doing. Contact your local garage they will have dealt with this many many many many times...

Cost me ÂŁ50+ vat including the tow. I spent a bit extra on an additive to ensure that things were good though.

Upvote 0

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
If you do drain/decant, do so into a vessel with a small opening and not a large open tray or bucket. This will greatly reduce vapour escape, risk of ignition fireball! Open vats of petrol are dangerous!

You need to think also about the quantity of contaminated fuel you have to deal with; could be 70-80 litres which is ~15 x 5-litre oil cans worth.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Apply Try Wynns Dry Fuel additive - you just pour it into the tank and it emulsifies the fuel with the water and bingo, it gets burnt off. :thumb:

Halfords have some reviews on this:

"I had nearly half a tank of water in my diesel fuel tank - being female i havent a clue how to drain it all out, did some reasearch on this item and thought give it a go, 1st full tank and full bottle of wynn's and it did the trick, its doing more to the gallon now too so win win"

Here: Broken Link Removed

Ian

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Halfords have some reviews on this:

"I had nearly half a tank of water in my diesel fuel tank - being female i havent a clue how to drain it all out, did some reasearch on this item and thought give it a go, 1st full tank and full bottle of wynn's and it did the trick, its doing more to the gallon now too so win win"

Here: Broken Link Removed

Ian

Hmmmmm what about the fuel filter & 'emulsified fuel' how will that be working out ?

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
It`s not as bad as it sounds, though circumstances need to be taken into account.
A, When did you do it?

B, Have you run the engine since doing it?

Ok hopefully there will be a drain plug in the bottom of the tank, so it`s as simple as drain the tank.
The fuel will float on top of the water so keep an eye on what`1s being drained out, first will be clean water, second will be an emulsified mixture, (this will depend on how long you leave the vehicle stationary before draining, the longer the better) then youn will get to the pure fuel/

Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elly01

Free Member
Jun 17, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Thank you so much for your replies, I haven't started camper up since my silly mistake it is actually parked up near the tap ! But its not at home I will go to it again today and have a look if there is a drain plug on it, would anyone know for sure if there is one on a 1987 talbot merlin? And if so is it easy to find? Thank you everybody

Upvote 0

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I know that it is stating the obvious, but if you do drain down your tank, do not dispose of the petrol in the drains. You would be surprised how many people have done in the past, often with explosive results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elly01

Free Member
Jun 17, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Help i have put water in the petrol tank!

Been underneath camper today and can't find a drain plug at all ( Am I looking in right place on bottom of tank?) Thanks for anymore ideas.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the tank has got a drain it will just look like a bolt in the very bottom of the tank. As said before, disconnect the rubber fuel hose and drain from there if theres no drain plug fitted

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elly01

Free Member
Jun 17, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp

Thanks once again for all your help. But as usual I still need your valuable information again. Ok so today I took off the fuel hose ,it was on the top of tank, so i then siphoned the water and petrol out from there, until no more was coming out. I presumed I had got it all out, so fixed the fuel hose back on, and was quite proud of myself. I just thought I would turn the key to see what the fuel guage was reading. I couldn't believe it was saying three quarters full. Now then this is where I am confused. It either means there is loads of water still in or , would the guage be confused because I siphoned it out. Please help me again. I haven't fired the engine up only turned the key to get ignition on.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My fuel gauge went whacky on monday. I knew I only had about 10 liters in the the tank before stuffing up and I knew I had only put 10 litres in so 20 in total. After we had drained 20 litres and the pump was running dry the guage was still showing 1/8th of a tank. We put a little fresh diesel back in which duly came back through...

For some reason the meter decided to go nuts at this point where it had been reliable before. No idea why or how....

Upvote 0

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
My fuel gauge went whacky on monday. I knew I only had about 10 liters in the the tank before stuffing up and I knew I had only put 10 litres in so 20 in total. After we had drained 20 litres and the pump was running dry the guage was still showing 1/8th of a tank. We put a little fresh diesel back in which duly came back through...

For some reason the meter decided to go nuts at this point where it had been reliable before. No idea why or how....

I done the same with my work van (meaning the plonker that works for me)The AA emptied out the tank ,flushed through and put ÂŁ15 diesel back in.The gauge was all over the show until i filled the tank right up and it reset its self.

Upvote 0

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
petrol tank

it probably as a drainage bung underneath the tank so drain it off and make sure all your pipes are cleaned out also be very carefull as its petrol. then put another gallon of petrol in let the motor tick over stationery for about quarter of an hour then it should be ok. if not then phone the rescue services you are affiliated to steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elly01

Free Member
Jun 17, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Help I have put water in the petrol tank!

Thanks again for your help, I have hit another problem now. I got it all emptied out, put new petrol in it. fired it up and it was fine, started first time. then after about 5 mins it just cut out and won't start now ! please help me again. thank you

Upvote 0

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
Exp
im a newbie
tank

Thanks again for your help, I have hit another problem now. I got it all emptied out, put new petrol in it. fired it up and it was fine, started first time. then after about 5 mins it just cut out and won't start now ! please help me again. thank you
disscnect the pipe fuel pipe that is from the carb keep turning your engine over then reconnect. this should do it sounds to me like there was still some water in the pipe or tank steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elly01

Free Member
Jun 17, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp

thank you very much Stevensson for such a quick reply. As you have probably gathered by my questions I am totally clueless at mechanical things. ok So where will I find the carb, there are a few small pipes coming out of the tank, please explain to this total novice in easy to follow instructions. much appreciate everything you have all helped me with so far.

Upvote 0

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
Exp
im a newbie
thank you very much Stevensson for such a quick reply. As you have probably gathered by my questions I am totally clueless at mechanical things. ok So where will I find the carb, there are a few small pipes coming out of the tank, please explain to this total novice in easy to follow instructions. much appreciate everything you have all helped me with so far.
the pipe will fit at the top end of the carb so un screw tha and turn engine over a few times as im not there I cant honestly say so good luck steve

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back