herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
my 1995 hymer b694 on removing the carpet stuck to the wall under the front sliding cab window i was horrified to find it wet and the inner ply coat completely rotten i was told by the dealer that this is a common problem in older hymers and nothing to worrabout
i now need to scrape the old ply off and gewt it dry and have new covering fitted but does any one know how to prevent this from happening

cheers Herbies

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Before you do repairs............ fix the problem..

Maybe seals round window have dried up or cracked, or the drain holes at the bottom of the sliding window may be blocked.. Good luck.. :thumb:

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
I have a 1995 644 and I can tell you what the problem is as I have recently done both of my front sliding windows after one side was getting damp in the centre of the side wall underneath the bottom of the window. I assumed at first that the window mastic seal must have failed so I removed the inner trim then all the metal retaining brackets and removed the window. I was at first a bit confused as the sealer was in fact fine! So now what I thought. So I cleaned everything up then had a close look at the van and window unit. I finally discovered that the screw that holds the centre seal/upright bar in the window frame had started to rust and become loose and was letting the water slowly track in through the screw hole. As it was likely to snap if I tried to replace it, I simply covered it well with polyurethane sealer before refitting the unit. I have never had any trouble since and the walls are now nice and dry. You may be able to seal it in place but I took them out so I know it won't leak again. Hope this may help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
thanks Nigel
does any know where the vehicle weight etc stats are written on a b694?
cheers

It depends on the age of the van. It should be under the bonnet (mine has the Mercedes factory plate) but for over ten years, Hymer have put a weight plate on the grey skirt towards the rear of the UK off-side. Mine is just in front of the rear wheel.

Attachments

• Weight Plate small.jpg
    Weight Plate small.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 24

Turls

Free Member
Jan 4, 2015
cornwall
Funster No
MH
hymer 564
Exp
3 years
Hello Nigel , I saw your post on leaking hymer window , mine is leaking in exactly the same spot and after careful examination I thought that my ally frame had hairline cracks in it , so I blocked up the drain holes and filled the the frame carefully with water to find it p##sed in . after seeing your post i'm almost convinced its the same screw hole leaking because of how quick it flowed in !! Good news for me I think !!
Do you think I can seal it up without taking out the window successfully ??? I am very reluctant to disturb the frame really ,
Many thanks Nick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Nick and welcome.

Unfotunately this thread is 18 months old.

Best thing to do is open a new thread under the tech/mech section of the forum.

Click FORUMS at the top of any page and scroll to the tech section the start a new thread.

Oh, by the way.....bite the bullet and remove the whole frame, you dont know how much damge may have been done to the wooden batons and sealing it in may make it worse.

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
Hello Nigel , I saw your post on leaking hymer window , mine is leaking in exactly the same spot and after careful examination I thought that my ally frame had hairline cracks in it , so I blocked up the drain holes and filled the the frame carefully with water to find it p##sed in . after seeing your post i'm almost convinced its the same screw hole leaking because of how quick it flowed in !! Good news for me I think !!
Do you think I can seal it up without taking out the window successfully ??? I am very reluctant to disturb the frame really ,
Many thanks Nick

Hi Nick, just to confirm my windows have not leaked since. It would be difficult to access the screw successfully as its at the bottom of the frame. It was not to difficult to remove the whole window, which I originally did as i thought the seal on the window itself was leaking. After I cleaned all the old sealer off the frame and opening I used Everbuild PU40 polyurethane sealer (like sikaflex) available from Trago mills or screwfix, under £4\tube. If your reasonably handy its a fairly straight forward job.

Turls

Free Member
Jan 4, 2015
cornwall
Funster No
MH
hymer 564
Exp
3 years
Hi Nigel thanks for your reply , I can put the van in mate garage for a weekend soon ,so after your confidence boost I shall tackle taking out the window !!!!! thanks again Nick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back