Class c test - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
So I've decided that I'm going to have to do my class c test.....had considered downplating the van we're getting and towing a trailer, but the dealer took it to a weighbridge for us and because of the extras (gas low type system, satellite, awning etc) there is only about 200kg left for passengers and stuff, which just ain't gonna happen!
Gonna keep it plated at the 3950 that the previous owner increased it to, but means I need to do my test (fall foul of the 1997 changes:cry:)

Does anyone have any tips, or any recommendations of the best way to go about this? Figure I might as well go the whole hog and do the full c rather the the c1.

Any recommend trainers in the wiltshire or Merthyr Tydfil areas?

Cheers

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
I`m in the same boat as you, except my motorhome weighs 7.8 tonne, empty !
If you`ve not looked into it at all, it goes

1-medical
2- theory, and hazard perception (separate tests)
3- driver training
4-test

Me, and my wife are doing the test, and have medicals on Saturday.
Round our way, the driver training is around the £1000 mark. Thats for a 5 day course.
Medicals £40-£50, but our doctors wanted £120.

All the forms etc are available from dvla, or if you find a training centre near you, i`m sure they will have everything.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I`m in the same boat as you, except my motorhome weighs 7.8 tonne, empty !
If you`ve not looked into it at all, it goes

1-medical
2- theory, and hazard perception (separate tests)
3- driver training
4-test

Me, and my wife are doing the test, and have medicals on Saturday.
Round our way, the driver training is around the £1000 mark. Thats for a 5 day course.
Medicals £40-£50, but our doctors wanted £120.

All the forms etc are available from dvla, or if you find a training centre near you, i`m sure they will have everything.

Have you contacted a training centre? Dd they say how long from medical to test stage?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
No, not yet.
Medicals are Saturday, then I will apply for provisionals. They say up to 3 weeks, but I think normally it`s about 10 day`s.
Once I have it, I will contact the training school, and apply for my theory/hazard tests.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you contacted a training centre? Dd they say how long from medical to test stage?

No, not yet.
Medicals are Saturday, then I will apply for provisionals. They say up to 3 weeks, but I think normally it`s about 10 day`s.
Once I have it, I will contact the training school, and apply for my theory/hazard tests.

my advise is not to use training centre agencies.

most dont have a clue where their nearest centre is and will book you into the first available one on their list.

my second piece of advice is have a word with funster Rick (motor roamin').
he runs a 'multi discipline' driving school and has an amazing 'first time' pass rate.

he is based in Leicestershire.

Private message Rick

Broken Link Removed

Ricks website.....

http://www.dataacademy.co.uk/

I have no connection with Rick or his business except through MHF and RVOC but i would trust him explicitly to put me through a driving test if the need arose. :thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
my advise is not to use training centre agencies.

most dont have a clue where their nearest centre is and will book you into the first available one on their list.

my second piece of advice is have a word with funster Rick (motor roamin').
he runs a 'multi discipline' driving school and has an amazing 'first time' pass rate.

he is based in Leicestershire.

Private message Rick

Broken Link Removed

Ricks website.....

http://www.dataacademy.co.uk/

I have no connection with Rick or his business except through MHF and RVOC but i would trust him explicitly to put me through a driving test if the need arose. :thumb:

I would second this recommendation. I will be looking at my C1+E shortly and will be going to Rick. I also had to take my C1 to drive my last van as I didn't take my car test till 99.

The course was absolutely fantastic and well worth the money.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would second this recommendation. I will be looking at my C1+E shortly and will be going to Rick. I also had to take my C1 to drive my last van as I didn't take my car test till 99.

The course was absolutely fantastic and well worth the money.

good luck with your 'E' test :thumb:

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
I met Rick earlier this year at Peterborough. He has lot`s of good advice.
As I have a well respected driving centre on my doorstep, i`m going to use them, but everything I have heard about Ricks school, has been great.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Good call about using Rick. You'll get good advice with no flannel, and good training too if you use his school. He come highly recommended :thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'd recommend that you visit a few different training providers before you make a choice.
I did my cat C last year and tried three different places.

The first one I disliked as soon as I walked through the door.
The second seemed competent but strangely disinterested.
The third was a small outfit who were both professional and friendly. They gave their advice as to how much training I'd need and then arranged the course around my availability.

Even if you have to pay for a couple of trial drives, it's well worth it to find an instructor you are comfortable with.

Also, You will be spending a lot of money so a few hundred pounds either way is irrelevant.
Choose the one you feel is best, rather than cheapest.

I passed ::bigsmile:
And it's great fun :thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Link Removed

Following lobbying by the European Caravan Federation (ECF), the European Commission published Directive 2012/36EU in November 2012, which introduces an addition to the C1 category: C1 97.

Under the new C1 97 category, motorhome divers taking the tests will no longer be required to demonstrate knowledge of legislation and equipment that is only applicable to professional drivers, such as the digital tachograph, rules on driving hours and rest periods, or rules for the national/international carriage of goods or passengers.

However, although the new C1 97 category goes some way to accommodate the needs of motorhome drivers, the ECF still feels more is needed.

Under the Directive, EU countries must comply by 31 December 2013.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Link Removed

Following lobbying by the European Caravan Federation (ECF), the European Commission published Directive 2012/36EU in November 2012, which introduces an addition to the C1 category: C1 97.

Under the new C1 97 category, motorhome divers taking the tests will no longer be required to demonstrate knowledge of legislation and equipment that is only applicable to professional drivers, such as the digital tachograph, rules on driving hours and rest periods, or rules for the national/international carriage of goods or passengers.

However, although the new C1 97 category goes some way to accommodate the needs of motorhome drivers, the ECF still feels more is needed.

Under the Directive, EU countries must comply by 31 December 2013.

This is interesting. Shame they're not going to allow you to drive a motorhome up to the common 3850 on a car licence. So many are rated to that it seems crazy to have to do such a test for 350kg!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I suppose they have to have a cut off. Those plated a little higher could argue the same and then it could go on and on. BUSBY::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but thats your choice not the authorities . but if you do the full class c it opens up the work. there are good jobs driving trucks around ,should you need it. but if you wait and just do c1 restriction 97 .you wont get work.
we shall have to wait and see.
you could swap your camper and get a 5th wheel you only need to do a trailer test on a post 97 licence then .

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
but thats your choice not the authorities . but if you do the full class c it opens up the work. there are good jobs driving trucks around ,should you need it. but if you wait and just do c1 restriction 97 .you wont get work.
you could swap your camper and get a 5th wheel you only need to do a trailer test on a post 97 licence then .

Yeah, think if I'm paying and doing it I might as well do the full thing. Bet it won't cost any less! The C1 is the same price as the C, so imagine the restricted C1 would still be the same.

Also already done the B+E as we went over to a caravan last year, and to give it a chance wanted a twin axle. Didn't get on with it and so going back to motorhome. We did consider a fifth wheel, but like the feeling of driving a motorhome, and so worried that the fifth wheel would be too much like a caravan (although I know they don't really compare)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
5ers are so much more stable .
i say go the whole hog and get a mini artic . even better .
but take your time get the license .
there is alot to learn believe me . its not just driving .but place on the road etc . puts driving in a different light .
bet it changes your car driving as well .you think differently.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have just done my medical to renew my lgv 1 what a waste of time sit down sir answer these questions read this sign blood pressure pulse 10 minutes done
But I did get it down to 55 quid and I passed what a nice Asian gent he was

Even if I had no pulse I think I would have passed so long as he got paid

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

You keep mentioning this good work. But when I queried about driving work on here I was told that it is barely above minimum wage <£10/hour.

I would also need to do the CPC?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you have to pick the work . and then you get lots of hours . i dont say you
will get rich . but if you need work its out there .
if you can earn more great . but as a summer earner i worked 4-5 months then went off for winter . came back got work . went off .came back got work . easily . i know others that do it as well. if you earn more good on you. i packed in working full time in 98 . found lots of good work through agencies or on my own . cpc you cant fail ,its a time thing . as it was i liked the job. strangely many truck drivers keep doing it and also like it .
40 hrs 400 quid if thats not enough for you then dont do it . i regularly earn twice that. like everything you pick the jobs you like or can earn more . mind i can sit in an office and manage drivers as well . or drive coaches . but i liked driving sewage trucks . or rollon/off skips . if i was ever sent to a job i didnt like i only did it the once .
after all you would start at the bottom .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back