How to get safe online (1 Viewer)

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Customers using their credit or debit cards online have been advised that high street banks are likely to become increasingly reluctant to help victims of internet fraud as new rules added to the Banking Code signal less willingness to cover losses.

The updated code, which covers the banks' treatment of customers, came into effect last month and states that victims of online fraud must have up-to-date antivirus and antispyware software installed, plus a personal firewall, to claim redress from their banks. If you fail to have the correct protection in place, the banks are increasingly likely to refuse any claim for a refund.

Full story here

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Customers using their credit or debit cards online have been advised that high street banks are likely to become increasingly reluctant to help victims of internet fraud as new rules added to the Banking Code signal less willingness to cover losses.

The updated code, which covers the banks' treatment of customers, came into effect last month and states that victims of online fraud must have up-to-date antivirus and antispyware software installed, plus a personal firewall, to claim redress from their banks. If you fail to have the correct protection in place, the banks are increasingly likely to refuse any claim for a refund.

Full story here

Hi Sharon,

Are you spending your days reading newspapers online then? ::bigsmile:

Chris

OP
OP
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Hi Sharon,

Are you spending your days reading newspapers online then? ::bigsmile:

Chris

Hi Chris

I like to read the daily newspaper - yes. The paperless version is very convenient:Cool:
And I have been known to share the odd story or two:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Two simple rules that may help.

a) Any purchase over £100 is covered by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

b) Always use a Credit Card, if there is a Fraud then its their money not yours. If a Fraud is committed on a debit card then you will be chasing the bank for a refund. With a credit card they may be chasing you!

Hope that helps.

P

philip77

Deleted User
Hi
This fraud has happened to me twice, on both a debit and a credit card.
The first was on my credit card but I spotted it early and called the card company who sorted it out quickly and cost me nothing but the worry. The fraud could have gone up to my card limit though and i might well have lost out.
A year later my debit card, from a different bank, was the victim and luckily there wasnt enough in the account to cover the fraud and was picked up quickly by the bank who halted the transactions. No cost to me again.
What I do now is use the debit card online and keep the account with a only small balance and transfer only enough to pay for upcoming purchases.
The point is that a credit card limit of possibly thousands, can be reached by fraud before you are aware of it and you may have to prove the fraud and possibly not be able to.
A debit card is debited immediately and hopefully picked up by the bank if you exceed your balance and you only risk loosing that small balance of the account.
I try to avoid any online transactions these days for obvious reasons even with a quality antivrus, firewall, antispy, and adware removal programs.
Be carefull !
Phil

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
A couple of years ago I used a credit card on line to purchase some software.

Few days later I received a call from the bank asking if I had made a bet of £500 online. They had picked up that I don't bet, stopped the transaction and called me. Now that is great service!

We get a call every time we purchase from a supplier in Israel. The transaction of about £20k, rings alarm bells on their computer as we have just used the card say in Devizes and hours later it is being used in Israel! I am always delighted that it gets picked up. The few minutes of inconvenience getting the transaction paid is nothing by comparison.

We found a trojan on the computer by the way. Now have a number of safe guards to make sure it does not happen again! Hopefully!

Regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Most of the fraud identified on cards is done by a transactional system called Falcon" a Fair Isaac product.
It looks at your current spending patterns and unusual activities. This can cause a problem one case I remember was a man who bought his girlfriend a diamond ring in Cairo, the transaction was declined (System generated) and he was arrested.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back