Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Reading all these great threads on driving/travelling/staying in the country of the Auld Alliance, we are fair stoked at the thought of our upcoming 3 month trip around ce grand pays.

My co-pilot and chef du vacance, Jacky has a question for all you experienced shoppers. Coming as we do from the land of excellent beef, what can we expect outside of supermarkets in France? Do the small butchers sell a range of meats, or is it fairly restricted to veal, beef and chicken? Also, what are your opinions of the quality of the meat that is available?

It's also a good indicator of who does the shopping, him or her. ::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
most butchers sell same as here so np with them and supermarkets have great meat counters not like here with crap

OP
OP
Spottycatz

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
most butchers sell same as here so np with them and supermarkets have great meat counters not like here with crap

Thanks Bill, was hoping this was the case. We have a decent sized freezer in the MH, but would prefer to buy 'daily' if possible. Just don't want to spend too much time in supermarkets looking for stuff!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Food shopping in France is a part of life there, and not considered a chore. Fresh meat, fish, fruit and veg from the markets are wonderful. Half the fun of being in France for me is the daily shopping, especially for bread. Not cheap, but quality never is.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Supermarket prices roughly equivalent but quality much better!:thumb:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Have a look here for what to ask for in a Boucherie -

www.frenchentree.com/france-food-cuisine/displayarticle.asp?id=2189

There's nothing wrong with the taste of Horse meat as long as you know what you've ordered and obviously when you order Boeuf you expect beef and not any other type of meat.

We have had 'Roo' for one meal and I still don't know if it was Skippy's mate or something else - but it was delicious!

:france::france::france:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
yes its ok i have ate it and not much diff to steak but richer

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Reading all these great threads on driving/travelling/staying in the country of the Auld Alliance, we are fair stoked at the thought of our upcoming 3 month trip around ce grand pays.

My co-pilot and chef du vacance, Jacky has a question for all you experienced shoppers. Coming as we do from the land of excellent beef, what can we expect outside of supermarkets in France? Do the small butchers sell a range of meats, or is it fairly restricted to veal, beef and chicken? Also, what are your opinions of the quality of the meat that is available?

It's also a good indicator of who does the shopping, him or her. ::bigsmile:

Having lived here for 9 years if you like a steak then bring it with you. I never buy here !! Being a fellow Scot who lived near Thurso for 14 years nothing beats Aberdeen Angus steaks :))) the beef is not hung for any longer than 7 days so tough as old boots unless you like it rare !!

Everything else is fine . And supermarket meat is perfectly good :/)) bread is superb. Look for local markets . Cheese at our market averages 8€. Per kilo. And just buy in season as the French do .
Enjoy La Belle France ::bigsmile:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
yes its ok i have ate it and not much diff to steak [HI]but richer[/HI]

Must have been Red Rum :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• redrum-at-gallop-medium.jpg
    redrum-at-gallop-medium.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I should imagine the butchers will be fine - it is good to try the local meats - if you want something you may recognise, there are stores usch as Aldi in france, or even lidl. At least you will recognise what you are buying if that makes it easier.

Have a try at a butchers -you never know, you might find something fantastic!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back