Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We thought we had found a mh that ticked all our boxes. We were on the verge of reserving it with a view to making a trip down south very soon to have a look at it.
However, when we phoned the dealer earlier, he informed us that someone was test-driving it:Doh:
After another phone call we were told that they had decided to take it. So we are now starting the hunt all over again............:cry::Sad:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh eck! This is no chance! I guess it must happen more than once when you're searching , but a really pain when you think it's the one... I still regret the little white van Snowbird had found ... but as a lot on here would say ... it was not the one, yours is waiting for you somewhere! But I understand that starting the hunt all over again.... grrrrrrr

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry to hear that. We were the opposite, got in before other interested parties. We were talking to another of the Camper NE salesmen at Peterborough last year and the conversation was along the lines "Ah, you bought that did you? Could have sold it three or four times before you collected it" :Smile:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks to you all for your encouraging replies:thumb:
The one we preferred was an Autotrail SE696G...........it seemed to have "most" of what we're looking for, but without being too big.

If Bill had his way, he would go for an Autotrail Cheyenne, but I feel it's just too long and some have said it's length could cause problems on some sites. I drive, but am scared stiff at the thought of driving something this big anywhere:Eeek:

Someone showed us round his Cheyenne recently and it's a super big thing, but maybe just too big to be practical.
We have seen a Geist online, but I don't like the colour of the woodwork:Doh:
...........am I being too fussy?:roflmto:

Margaret:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Keep your chin up :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Everything always happens for a reason. You never know you may find one similar cheaper and perhaps with more gadgets on it.

Good luck with continuing your search. Perhaps there will be something at the stratford motorhome show thats even better xxxx

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Keep your chin up :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Everything always happens for a reason. You never know you may find one similar cheaper and perhaps with more gadgets on it.

Good luck with continuing your search. Perhaps there will be something at the stratford motorhome show thats even better xxxx
"

Hi Gail, you're right I suppose, I have said to Bill "what's for us won't go past us". Yet, I used to hate it when someone said this to me in the past:Doh:
The search continues..........::bigsmile:
Margaret

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks to you all for your encouraging replies:thumb:
The one we preferred was an Autotrail SE696G...........it seemed to have "most" of what we're looking for, but without being too big.

If Bill had his way, he would go for an Autotrail Cheyenne, but I feel it's just too long and some have said it's length could cause problems on some sites. I drive, but am scared stiff at the thought of driving something this big anywhere:Eeek:

Someone showed us round his Cheyenne recently and it's a super big thing, but maybe just too big to be practical.
We have seen a Geist online, but I don't like the colour of the woodwork:Doh:
...........am I being too fussy?:roflmto:

Margaret:thumb:

Hi don't worry another will be along soon--Don't be tempted by the Guiest (although I like/think they are screwed together a lot better than the AT) simply because if the woodwork is the wrong colour you will never like it ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi don't worry another will be along soon--Don't be tempted by the Guiest (although I like/think they are screwed together a lot better than the AT) simply because if the woodwork is the wrong colour you will never like it ::bigsmile:
terry

Hi Terry,
You're right, I thought it was just me looking at things from a woman's point of view:winky: but there are some things you can live with and some you can't I suppose.
Margaret::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Gail & Terry are right. We weren't best pleased when Mr Asda and our neighbour reshaped our Autoquest (although it helped that we were thinking of changing anyway) but in the end it's worked out great because the Burstner suits us perfectly.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We had an Autotrail Cheyenne SE 696G and dont worry about it being too long. I drove it for most of the time we had it as Howie only got his C1 licence back in April. We never had a problem with it in terms of length on sites (although Laneside will tell the funny story about our exploits in the car park at their daughters pub :ROFLMAO:)

We have recently changed to a Burstner and it is great and definitely better in terms of inside finish than the Autotrail.

Kath and Howie

PS Howie is objecting to me reminding folk of his one mistake !:ROFLMAO:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
That was no mistake you went into totally un-chartered territory that day-----well at least for motorhomes

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a shame, but another one will come along just what you want fingers crossed, it would be a shame to get one you would not feel comfortable driving, good luck with your search. :Smile:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We had an Autotrail Cheyenne SE 696G and dont worry about it being too long. I drove it for most of the time we had it as Howie only got his C1 licence back in April. We never had a problem with it in terms of length on sites (although Laneside will tell the funny story about our exploits in the car park at their daughters pub :ROFLMAO:)

We have recently changed to a Burstner and it is great and definitely better in terms of inside finish than the Autotrail.

Kath and Howie

PS Howie is objecting to me reminding folk of his one mistake !:ROFLMAO:

The Cheyenne 696 would've suited us fine as it's only a foot longer than what we have at the moment. However, Bill prefers the Chieftain 840G, it's layout suited us fine, but I think it's just too big and the idea of having to drive it scares me:Eeek:
If we could get the same layout in something else then we've cracked it:roflmto:

Bill has just reminded me that the problem is down to me, he's quite happy driving the Chieftain at 28 and a half feet, but I'm not:Doh:
Compromise!
Margaret:Sad:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
As other funsters have said the right one will come along and you need to be happy with both the layout and driving it. I have to say I was a bit apprehensive before we got the Cheyenne but over the last four years have not had any worries about driving it. Our new one is even longer but drives like a dream and on the open road is great. As you drive your current MH then it should not be a problem to get a longer one and to put it into perspective the vast majority of driving in a MH is going forward - leave the reversing to the men :ROFLMAO:

Kath

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To add to what Kath has said.

Both our vans have been in Jill's name (just convenient) and she has done most of the driving because I don't really like driving (and she is more patient than I am ::bigsmile:).

One reason we chose the Autoquest was we thought it was quite big enough at 18 feet but the transition to 22 feet hasn't been difficult.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
the layout ,colour and design will supersede the length. you will be ambling down the road humming away, you will find the right mix, throw away the name tag you WILL find the right one .

Happy hunting.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
As other funsters have said the right one will come along and you need to be happy with both the layout and driving it. I have to say I was a bit apprehensive before we got the Cheyenne but over the last four years have not had any worries about driving it. Our new one is even longer but drives like a dream and on the open road is great. As you drive your current MH then it should not be a problem to get a longer one and to put it into perspective the vast majority of driving in a MH is going forward - leave the reversing to the men :ROFLMAO:

Kath

I agree totally with madwife. leave the reversing to us men as it involves co-ordination, skill, coolness and usually; on my part, extreme good looks!!! :Cool: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back