Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I found this information on another site, it may be of use to some here on Fun.

The Mathilde Bridge in Rouen, (the one just south of the tunnel) is closed for the forseeable future. Most sat navs will send you this way, and I know from recent travels that it is causing major problems.

Apparently the bridge was damaged by a fire earlier in the year and that damage has now been discovered to be so extensive that no reopening date can currently be given. MidSummer at the earliest is the latest local quote.

If you know anybody travelling to France in the near future or going to the 24 Hours at Le Mans, motorhome owner or otherwise this info could save them a great deal of time as this is on the main route to/from Calais.

The repair bill is estimated at 8 million euros !!

Hope this saves you some travel time or assists in some way, safe miles to all wherever your travels take you this Summer

Brisey.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
We passed through Rouen on the way back from Morocco and were very disconcerted at the blanking out of the Calais signs. We continued however and was eventually led to the diversionary route across the river. The traffic was horrendous of course but stick with it, you will soon recognize that you are on the right road.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I found this information on another site, it may be of use to some here on Fun.

The Mathilde Bridge in Rouen, (the one just south of the tunnel) is closed for the forseeable future. Most sat navs will send you this way, and I know from recent travels that it is causing major problems.

Apparently the bridge was damaged by a fire earlier in the year and that damage has now been discovered to be so extensive that no reopening date can currently be given. MidSummer at the earliest is the latest local quote.

If you know anybody travelling to France in the near future or going to the 24 Hours at Le Mans, motorhome owner or otherwise this info could save them a great deal of time as this is on the main route to/from Calais.

The repair bill is estimated at 8 million euros !!

Hope this saves you some travel time or assists in some way, safe miles to all wherever your travels take you this Summer

Brisey.

JJ didn't tell me which way he wanted to go to get to the UK this summer but just in case I'll write it down!

And look for some infos on which is the best way to avoid the problem!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
looks like the best (easiest) route will be (from calais) a28, a29, a151, a150, n1338, then onto a138 and out towards le mans.

if you went to roune on the a28 into the tunnel and turned right along the northen bank (d8015) are there hight restricted tunnels? Ive never taken that route befor but Ive been told there are motorhome traps.

what a time to be leading a convoy of newbies arcoss:Doh:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
dsc0137.jpg

Yes I need to find a solution for Le Mans - getting through Rouen is bad enough on a normal day :Sad:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sod it im off down that way tomorrow not sure which route now whatever happens i aint gonna go the paris way :Smile:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
wow , i didn't know concrete could burn, look at the video on YouTube :whatthe:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6zgZKKDg7s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6zgZKKDg7s[/ame]

Link Removed

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
sod it im off down that way tomorrow not sure which route now whatever happens i aint gonna go the paris way :Smile:

As I understand the situation, the diversion is now well established, it is signed and posses no problems. We are going that way in two weeks.

Sep 6, 2012
Stone
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Rouen Bridge Closure

Hi All

Don't worry guys, we also have a house down in the Charante and go that way 5 or 6 times a year (last time at Easter), if you just patiently follow the diversion signs around Rouen (either way) it will in our experience be ok. I must admit I can't say this for most of the signing of diversions in France! Once did an extensive tour of Paris following diversion signs or not as was the case.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I did it on the way to Spain a few weeks ago. You get to the closed tunnel and just follow the green signs to Evereux.

We didnt get held up at all.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Rouen

Its also their tall ships Armada this week so avoid like the plague, unless of course you like ships and traffic jams:Smile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i dont think there is a plural for diversion signs in france its usually just the one

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i should get there around midnight so no traffic i hope

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
When we went down to Spain in December we entered Rouen from the tunnel and turned right when we came to the main junction. We stayed in the right hand lane along the river and found a way across on another bridge. The traffic was a nightmare at the time.On our return we followed the HGV diversion and although a bit longer and a small toll it was easier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back