Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Just back after our first France trip and a truly great experience was had by one and all.::bigsmile:
We travelled down to Dover the night before the early ferry and spent the night on Marine Parade with numerous other vans,enjoyed fish and chips then bedded down for the night.The plan was to head on down and stop at Chartres for the night,however we made it down to a free aire by the Loire with a park and meadow for the kids to play in (recommended by a FUNSTER. ) This was our first experience of an aire and was a thoroughly enjoyable one mrs Vlad felt at ease and very secure.The next morning we went to visit family north of Limoges and spent 4 days enduring less than summery weather,cold winds rain and jumpers not the lasting memory of France we wanted!
The plan had been to head over to La Rochelle,visit the Isle de Rae,then work our way back up the coast over the next two weeks.The forecast was not great so after not much deliberation we thought sod it lets find some sun,after all that's why we got a Mh so we can go when and wherever we want.The sun was shining on the med so we decided on Beziers. Toll roads all the way via Toulouse and Narbonne about 65 euros in tolls.
We found a 4 star campsite at Valras Plage with water slides for the kids and right on the beach it was so good we stayed 9 nights.Kids loved it and didn't want to leave,they and the dog were free and with my ACSI card it only cost 163 euros! The weather was hot and sunny av temp 23,I also found a little supermarket selling local wine at 1.60 euro a litre::bigsmile:
We headed back up over the Milau bridge (amazing structure) up to Chartres and stopped at the municipal site,walking in to see the light show on and around the Cathedral,this should not be missed if you get the chance.The last stop was a lovely campsite just outside Calais at Guines nice covered pool and small slide for the kids.
As I sit here and type this I suddenly see a plus side to being an older wrinkly FUNSTER with more money and time on my hands than I do now!:ROFLMAO:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Glad to hear you enjoyed your 1st trip to 'La Terre Promise'!! :thumb:

:france::france::france:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Glad you enjoyed it vlad I'm sure that will be your first of many trips abroad with the MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Gerry after all the information you and others gave me it was a great trip.The lesson learnt is be prepared,but be flexible and most of all ENJOY

Vlad. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds great:thumb:

I have been to that site in Guines - the kids love it.

Decent bar too:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Glad you enjoyed first trip, as you do it more you will get into using Aires. Some great spots once you find them.
France is made for motorhomes..:thumb::thumb:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
france

Glad you enjoyed first trip, as you do it more you will get into using Aires. Some great spots once you find them.
France is made for motorhomes..:thumb::thumb:
we would like to tour france for about 6 weeks after the Cheshire show sue is very keen. but she doesn't drive so I would have to do all the driving.which im not happy about. also im not sure if I could cope with left hand driving never done it before. steve n sue:Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
we would like to tour france for about 6 weeks after the Cheshire show sue is very keen. but she doesn't drive so I would have to do all the driving.which im not happy about. also im not sure if I could cope with left hand driving never done it before. steve n sue:Blush:

Driving on the right really isn't a problem I promise.

You will soon get used to it.:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

It's amazing how soon you adapt... If you make your first crossing via Calais then after you leave the boat you are on a dual carriageway then motorway. So gives you time to settle before hitting any normal roads...
You will come back wondering why you never done it sooner. Ref 1 driver, no problem just schedule your stops to suit you. I do all our driving and plan the day to suit me and my tea breaks,. ::bigsmile:
As I tell wifey, I drive, she cooks and makes tea..:thumb::thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
your a nut case the type of person that laughs at his own jokes even though their not funny

?

I was actually trying to be helpful.

Driving on the right hand side of the road is easy.

If you want to have a tantrum over it then suit yourself.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Just back after our first France trip and a truly great experience was had by one and all.::bigsmile:
We travelled down to Dover the night before the early ferry and spent the night on Marine Parade with numerous other vans,enjoyed fish and chips then bedded down for the night.The plan was to head on down and stop at Chartres for the night,however we made it down to a free aire by the Loire with a park and meadow for the kids to play in (recommended by a FUNSTER. ) This was our first experience of an aire and was a thoroughly enjoyable one mrs Vlad felt at ease and very secure.The next morning we went to visit family north of Limoges and spent 4 days enduring less than summery weather,cold winds rain and jumpers not the lasting memory of France we wanted!
The plan had been to head over to La Rochelle,visit the Isle de Rae,then work our way back up the coast over the next two weeks.The forecast was not great so after not much deliberation we thought sod it lets find some sun,after all that's why we got a Mh so we can go when and wherever we want.The sun was shining on the med so we decided on Beziers. Toll roads all the way via Toulouse and Narbonne about 65 euros in tolls.
We found a 4 star campsite at Valras Plage with water slides for the kids and right on the beach it was so good we stayed 9 nights.Kids loved it and didn't want to leave,they and the dog were free and with my ACSI card it only cost 163 euros! The weather was hot and sunny av temp 23,I also found a little supermarket selling local wine at 1.60 euro a litre::bigsmile:
We headed back up over the Milau bridge (amazing structure) up to Chartres and stopped at the municipal site,walking in to see the light show on and around the Cathedral,this should not be missed if you get the chance.The last stop was a lovely campsite just outside Calais at Guines nice covered pool and small slide for the kids.
As I sit here and type this I suddenly see a plus side to being an older wrinkly FUNSTER with more money and time on my hands than I do now!:ROFLMAO:

int it great when you see the light??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years

I went over last year 1st time wiith campervan , no driving probs and i am 76 (as the Eagles sang) just take it easy, ,I,m off to France next week for 2 weeks, I will just follow me nose and head for the sun............With 6 weeks plenty of time to explore.........Del

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
your a nut case the type of person that laughs at his own jokes even though their not funny

don't reply to anything I may write on the forum

I know I might not be the brightest on here although some do make me look bright, but I can't understand why someone would post these replies to someone who looks as if they where being genuinely helpful.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Skiing once you find that perfect Euramobil, Vlad?!!!!::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
piss off you idiot

Thats not nice or called for. From what I can see Chris was doing his best to help..

What is your problem?

I'm sure that Chris can fight his own battles, but swearing is not acceptable or appreciated on this forum. Rule 1.

I can assure you that Chris is NOT an idiot.

Last edited:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Glad you had a nice trip, as for driving on the left it really is a lot easier than you would think and you soon get used to it, with maybe the occasional slip. Its often the fear of the unknown or different thats the stumbling block.

(Hope this friendly encouraging post hasnt offended anybody):ROFLMAO:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Driving on the right is easy.......................BUT......................

....................it can catch you out. The favourite is pulling out of a petrol station, and with no traffic about, you just naturally tend to go for the left lane - DON'T...!!

BE AWARE - stick a prominent label near or on the speedo/dashboard etc saying KEEP RIGHT

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I found the driving pretty easy,the odd time I encountered an idiot heading straight for me mrs Vlad let out a scream and I switched to the right lane:ROFLMAO:
The only thing I forgot to add was that Larsson my dog had a great time too!
On our way back up we happened upon a vet ,so popped in and they sorted out the passport there and then.We provided our own pill and were charged 33 euros.Location passed on to Wivvys dad for entry on the database.

Vlad

Lyngary

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2011
Sudbury, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you Vlad, found your post very inspirational! Have never been abroad in our Motorhome before but planning our first exploratory trip to France at the end of August for a fortnight. Have already booked the ferry. Hope we are half as successful as you were.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Hmm, I thought this was a friendly forum. Not the sort thing I want to read at this time of the morning (or any time, come to that.) Somebody should be ashamed of himself.:Angry:

As for France, it's a country that really caters for motorhomes and we're really lucky to have it on our doorstep. I can't wait to take over MH over for the first time in September (after many years camping):thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Completely baffled as to how Chris's post offended so much, but the response definitely offended!
Apart for that, thanks for sharing your holiday experience Vlad, I am trying to persuade the other half that France is the place to go this year, he wants to go to Cornwall but will compromise on Wales :Doh: Wales or France - we won't understand what the locals say either way :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back