Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Lyndon was telling me about the big switch off. a bit of research and it looks like it's going to happen July 19th, a satellite switch making it almost impossible to get the Brit channels abroad. All you soap addicts, what will you do? Stop touring? or just run up big internet bills on catchup TV :roflmto::roflmto:

I suppose this means more blooming slingboxes nicking campsite bandwidth. Slingboxes are as unsociable as an over-worked Kipor::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We cross over to Dunkirk on July 21st, what will we do......:cry::cry:
I'm going to have to play with the kids....:RollEyes::RollEyes: (no not like that:whatthe:)
and talk to the wife at bedtime......:winky::winky:

Be interesting to see how we get on with our 1.5m motorised auto tracking dish on the ship after that date.
We used to get 28E and the Sky channels to just south of Sardinia when heading East through the Med.

::bigsmile:

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
We cross over to Dunkirk on July 21st, what will we do......:cry::cry:
I'm going to have to play with the kids....:RollEyes::RollEyes: (no not like that:whatthe:)
and talk to the wife at bedtime......:winky::winky:

Be interesting to see how we get on with our 1.5m motorised auto tracking dish on the ship after that date.
We used to get 28E and the Sky channels to just south of Sardinia when heading East through the Med.

There is nothing at all wrong with talking to the wife and kids while you are abroad instead of watching TV. That is what they invented mobile phones for!
Otherwise send a postcard they will still be chuffed :RollEyes:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966

Attachments

• ASTRA_2EFG_UK_ku_band_spotbeam.jpg
    ASTRA_2EFG_UK_ku_band_spotbeam.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
[HI]There is nothing at all wrong with talking to the wife and kids while you are abroad[/HI] instead of watching TV. That is what they invented mobile phones for!
Otherwise send a postcard they will still be chuffed :RollEyes:

I quite agree, Especially as they will be with me..........:Blush::Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
No more Eastenders ?:cry:............:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Even more reason to go South !!...........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
The last van we had had lots of toys to make life away just like home:Blush:

Looked at satelite, TV aerials all the options for this van! Final decision books and radio, but we do have the advantage of not having number one son with us now so we don't have to entertain him. Life at home is great without us! The only thing I miss is the news but other than that TV I can live without:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damnit Jim... I am now getting worried about net access when I eventually get abroad. :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Seriously guys... If you can't entertain your women enough so that they don't need their soap fixes :Doh::Doh::Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Wouldn't it be great if you couldn't get soaps in the uk as well.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been motorhoming for 30 years with 3 kids in the UK and across the channel. Never had a TV in any motor home or caravan. Am I missing something? I thought the idea was to get away from these trappings.:whatthe:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Damnit Jim... I am now getting worried about net access when I eventually get abroad. :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Seriously guys... If you can't entertain your women enough so that they don't need their soap fixes :Doh::Doh::Doh:

You've a lot yet to learn about women Gromett.:Smile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I like to have the gadgets with me to be able to pick up the tv, but that`s only because i like to fiddle and know i can.

When (over there) i rig it all up , view that`s it`s the same old c**p as when home ,turn it off, go out for a walk and have some French food and beer:thumb:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I know that BBC and 2 3 4 and 5 are moving to spot beam but what about Sky, I wonder if they will go to spot beam and loose money from European viewers.

Yes I know they shouldn't but as a scrambled service they have no licence issues and they know they can carry on as before, so question is, will they give up the money, cos if they do it will surprise me for one.

Perhaps somebody on this forum knows the answer. :Smile:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
my own solution, to all the crap on telly, was simple, I got rid of the TV!! Best thing I ever did, wish I had done it years ago!::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
[HI]my own solution, to all the crap on telly, was simple, I got rid of the TV[/HI]!! Best thing I ever did, wish I had done it years ago!::bigsmile:

But did that not just move all the crap that was on the telly, onto the floor where the TV once stood?:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You've a lot yet to learn about women Gromett.:Smile:
And I never will learn:thumb:

Buttons is right Karl, as for them, the novelty soon wears off. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.

Ouch Jock, think Rita might be slapping you upside the head when she sees that :ROFLMAO:

my own solution, to all the crap on telly, was simple, I got rid of the TV!! Best thing I ever did, wish I had done it years ago!::bigsmile:

Not had a TV in 4 years. Also one of the best things I ever did. I now get subjected to it when I go into my mums house and can't believe the drivel that is broadcast....

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

hey its not just the women, my name is roger and I am a soap addict.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
No Soaps for 3-4 weeks, nope can't live with that there are often times I'm stuck in the van for days at a time unable to walk.

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
I know that BBC and 2 3 4 and 5 are moving to spot beam but what about Sky, I wonder if they will go to spot beam and loose money from European viewers.

Yes I know they shouldn't but as a scrambled service they have no licence issues and they know they can carry on as before, so question is, will they give up the money, cos if they do it will surprise me for one.

I agree Billy23, I would be surprised too if Sky give up money through expats abroad paying for the service, basically cutting them off and losing subscriptions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back