Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I need to do an oil change ,Asda do a 5-40 fully synthetic oil 5 Ltrs for £20, has anyone used this and/or comments please.Seems a good price.

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
asda oil

I need to do an oil change ,Asda do a 5-40 fully synthetic oil 5 Ltrs for £20, has anyone used this and/or comments please.Seems a good price.
one answer to this . its CRAP allways use a brand name never use cheap tat. it could cost you a lot of money if you do i.e. a new engine steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
one answer to this . its CRAP allways use a brand name never use cheap tat. it could cost you a lot of money if you do i.e. a new engine steve

While I agree with you totally and wouldn't buy it, BUT what is the difference, same numbers and that, how can it be different

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I would be surprised if a company like ASDA would risk litigation for supplying poor quality products.

It should show specification on the bottle. Compare with your handbook.

Personally I would change an inexpensive oil more frequently than a major branded one.

Steve

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i bought some 10x40 semi synthetic from asda a couple of years ago .at 6quid for 4 liters .it was on special .i took ten lots of it . run ll my vehicles on it . find my truck used none on the winter trip around spain and portugal . even the m,bikes seem to be holding the correct amount . seems to be working fine .would love to know who makes it for them . but if it goes on special again i shall buy again.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it should ideally be to fiat spec....in particular the part highlighted in red

SAE 10W-40
- API CD/SF
- ACEA B3
- FIAT 9.555.35-D2

if you have a DPF then any other spec may be harmful.

Long gone are the days when any old 10/40 oil would do

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
oil

While I agree with you totally and wouldn't buy it, BUT what is the difference, same numbers and that, how can it be different
the more expensive oil is more refined allthogh the potency or numbers as you call is about the same the brand names are given regular testings and refining and make sure the oil also cleans your engine as it drives the cheap ones don't their just canned or bottled whatever and sold on so don't buy cheap crap regards steve:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
the more expensive oil is more refined allthogh the potency or numbers as you call is about the sam[HI]e the brand names are given regular testings and refining[/HI] and make sure the oil also cleans your engine as it drives[HI] the cheap ones don't their just canned or bottled whatever[/HI] and sold on so don't buy cheap crap regards steve:thumb:

So where do these Asda "branded" oils actually come from before they are canned or bottled? On what evidence can you call the Asda oil "crap". Is there a technical specification for crap oil..

Some Asda value products (beans, cornflakes etc) also actually come from the main "branded" manufacturers.

We frequently carry high value refined oils and lube additives, such as transformer oils, etc. which we load from the same specific refineries. We have to undertake high spec (ppm) laboratory analytical testing of the cleanliness of our stainless steel tanks before we can even carry these products.
We then deliver these oils to various receivers who just "supply" the product without any additives or treatments and they change their brand name, however the shipping name is identical.

Some people alternate between branded and budget oils, others change more frequently. It's called choice.
As said earlier, if you are happy to pay more for the "name" do so. This is not just an oil thing, it's everything in life.

:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
so far i,m pleased with the asda oil . i have also ran lidl,s oil . its ok . i always ran morris oils or quantum from vw. just happened to see this as shopping and thought thats cheap. been running it and changed oil filters as normal.
i used to buy big drums when i had the garage either from morris ,s or vw . carried on with it when i closed the garage .but as a special . whooppppeee.

Last edited:

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
just read a post on about asda engine oil some ppl saying its crap?oil comes out the same ground as any other oil I cant beleave ppl don't know that if u just make sure u have the right grade it will be fine:Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So where do these Asda "branded" oils actually come from before they are canned or bottled? On what evidence can you call the Asda oil "crap". Is there a technical specification for crap oil..

Some Asda value products (beans, cornflakes etc) also actually come from the main "branded" manufacturers.

We frequently carry high value refined oils and lube additives, such as transformer oils, etc. which we load from the same specific refineries. We have to undertake high spec (ppm) laboratory analytical testing of the cleanliness of our stainless steel tanks before we can even carry these products.
We then deliver these oils to various receivers who just "supply" the product without any additives or treatments and they change their brand name, however the shipping name is identical.

Some people alternate between branded and budget oils, others change more frequently. It's called choice.
As said earlier, if you are happy to pay more for the "name" do so. This is not just an oil thing, it's everything in life.

:Smile:

I always buy unbranded ,products like flour and bread and milk and other things like that how can flour be different , it's ground up wheat, how can you make grinding wheat 4times as much, milk is milk full stop, bread is flour yeast salt and water how can you make it different, and oil is oil as far as I can tell but must confess I haven't had the balls to try it as the consequences could be dire.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Its just the additives the major brands use. Castrol and Duckham came out of the same refinery,Castrol used different additives. I changed to using Castrols 'new' oil GTX on my Lotus Cortina and I am convinced it ruined it causing excessive wear on the bearings,but I had now method of proving it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Callumwa,

I've been one of the poor sods doing the wall washes on chemical tanker tanks and loaded/discharged loads of lubes and additives in my time in the field. One of my jobs looking after our marine services is used lube oil analysis (including upper cylinder drains - you know what I mean)using very high tech equipment You are right. Here are couple of facts:

Most lube oils have the same blend of base stocks with a few additives put in. Branded lube oils to say API SG grade are functionally the same as non branded oils to the same spec. It is the same as gasoline or diesel from supermarkets - you pays yer money and takes yer choice. Personally, if it met the spec then I would use it.

One thing it certainly is not is Crap........ Do people seriously think that a company would knowingly sell a substandard oil which could damage engines and result in lawsuits/trading standards etc etc all in their faces? No, of course not.

By the way, we analyse over 600,000 used lube oil samples a year..........

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Spot on there Shuggy. :thumb:

It is a bit more complicated than that as a lot of oil is now synthesised rather than off a distillation column as in the good old days, but basically right. It has to be certified to meet a spec.

Last edited:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Brand snobbery....nothing more.

If anyone can demonstrate scientifically, I am all ears... the rest is psychological guff.

You are conditioned from birth that spending more on a brand is better. You are sold to and conditioned all your lives, through media branding and value "propositions".
So unless you have some tricked out motor, running massive boost and whacky compression rates, I seriously doubt Asda 5/40 will be perform any different from Castrol 5/40....if you do have that tricked out motor, can I have a go? !

Can you imagine the damages lawyers getting a sniff of this if it was "crap"?

I've been putting "cheap" oil in the companies cars for 4 years....no problems. My mechanic dont like it, because I am not buying his stuff...mind you, I also buy high value parts from ebay too...no problems, 4 cars (all different) doing 8-12k miles a year...from a 1998 corsa to a 2007 Hyundai

...if i didnt do this, I would go hungry :cry::cry:

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Callumwa,

I've been one of the poor sods doing the wall washes on chemical tanker tanks...

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Do you mean you were one of those B*****d surveyors who failed my immaculate tanks when I was Chief Mate, just because the suppliers did not have their product ready.....:winky::winky:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Do you mean you were one of those B*****d surveyors who failed my immaculate tanks when I was Chief Mate, just because the suppliers did not have their product ready.....:winky::winky:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

If you ever loaded MEG or methanol in the Middle East in the late 80's then YES it woz me wot sent you back out to anchorage for another weeks tank cleaning. Nothing like a poacher turned gamekeeper, is there? :roflmto:

Drive a desk nowadays but loved it as a surveyor and as mate on gas ships before then. Now look after developing services to shipowners which has its own challenges (everyone likes the US dollar but only shipowners love the cent!)

Edit: actually, it wasn't much fun wall washing the "Bow Sun" in Bahrain in August with 47 degrees C and 90% humidity prior to loading methanol when one of the critical tests was water content and the other was sodium content. Rose tinted spectacles!

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Spec is spec....... You can choose what price you want to pay for the same product.

I would rather make and educated decision and go for the cheapest product with the same spec.

:thumb:

::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No, there isn't. Now there are three!:ROFLMAO:

Blame Shuggy and Duane :winky:

Sorry!:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you ever loaded MEG or methanol in the Middle East in the late 80's then YES it woz me wot sent you back out to anchorage for another weeks tank cleaning. Nothing like a poacher turned gamekeeper, is there? :roflmto:

Drive a desk nowadays but loved it as a surveyor and as mate on gas ships before then. Now look after developing services to shipowners which has its own challenges (everyone likes the US dollar but only shipowners love the cent!)

I know exactly where you are coming from...
I'm still at it, fortunately as Old man, not mate.......::bigsmile:

Loaded propylene oxide yesterday with stringent wall wash, last cargoes were slack wax and lube adds.....:Doh: :Doh:

due for some "Fibre" grade MEG next with,

Wall wash spec of;

0 ppm Hydrocarbons :cry:
0 ppm Chlorides :cry:
>2 ppm Non volatile matter...... :cry:

I'm so glad I'm not the Mate.........:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I used to drive for TOTAL OIL. We mainly delivered our own product to Total filling stations but often loaded out of Murco, Fina and Texaco depots to deliver to our own outlets. Just proving its not always what it says on the tin. BUSBY.::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I would buy it, if there was an ASDA on the IOM.
Years ago, when trucking, I delivered all sorts of weird and wonderful things, one was a certain top brand lemonade to ASDA, and from the very same company came.....ASDAs own brand lemonade. Same stuff, same manufacturer, same bottles, just different branding and half the price.
This is just one example of 'crap' goods, that aren't.
It's like the 'designer' clothes rubbish.

Craig

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Spec is spec....... You can choose what price you want to pay for the same product.

I would rather make and educated decision and go for the cheapest product with the same spec.

:thumb:

I would sooner go for the one specifically formulated for my engine.

Car = 5w/30 to Mercedes Benz spec MB299.51

RV = 5w/30 to Ford spec WSS-M2C153-G

Manufacturers don't spend a small fortune in conjunction with oil companies developing and specifying a particular oil for nothing

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I know exactly where you are coming from...
I'm still at it, fortunately as Old man, not mate.......::bigsmile:

Loaded propylene oxide yesterday with stringent wall wash, last cargoes were slack wax and lube adds.....:Doh: :Doh:

due for some "Fibre" grade MEG next with,

Wall wash spec of;

0 ppm Hydrocarbons :cry:
0 ppm Chlorides :cry:
>2 ppm Non volatile matter...... :cry:

I'm so glad I'm not the Mate.........:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Don't forget the permanganate fading time! Fibre grade MEG and methanol were the worst. We used to carry PO on the gas ships under a nitrogen blanket; so glad I'm not at sea any more. One of my mates is old man on a VLGC - boring bus divers job Bonny to Futsu but good money.

PappaJohn, I see your point but some of those manufacturers specs are frighteningly similar to an API spec........ We do tests for engine makers as well.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would sooner go for the one specifically formulated for my engine.

Car = 5w/30 to Mercedes Benz spec MB299.51
RV = 5w/30 to Ford spec WSS-M2C153-G

[HI]Manufacturers don't spend a small fortune in conjunction with oil companies developing and specifying a particular oil for nothing[/HI]

I totally agree John...
They for sure do not do it for nothing, they both combine to make themselves even bigger profits and give themselves a weasly get out clause for warranties.

Cynical I know, sorry.....:RollEyes:

My Civic 2.2Cdti apparently always had Castrol Oil from the Honda dealership, said so on the invoice and the sticker on the windscreen:RollEyes:, I have used a budget oil for years now since the warranty ended. No issues at all...

Do you actually know what the difference in the oil is between the Merc oil and the Rv oil apart from their own code "numbers". That would be interesting.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I've always used the cheapest oil I could find (currently Carrefour, E8.50 for 5 litres)... Some examples: Peugeot 505STI, 298.000m in 3 years - 305 Diesel, 604.000m - both known to still be running 100% ... V40, 48.000 so far in 2yrs 2mnths (bought at 132.000m) ... :Smile:

Apart from always using Duckham's 20/50 (no idea why) for the 1st couple of years of car ownership many moons ago, the cheapest oil has been fine in +/- 126 vehicles which have all done very high mileages.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Cripes! That opened a hornets nest of info on who owns who trying to get to the bottom of this!

Years ago, before the asda brand, they exclusively used Havoline (Texaco), which is part of a company which was owned by the larger holding group.

Within the UK it appears that the current supplier is Gulf, which holds the Texaco brand amongst others.

You could assume, the the asda brand could be either Gulf or Texaco Oil, which is actually a good quality oil - they also have dealings with BP/Castrol - but it appears mainly in the US.

It would appear to be a large network of companies that own other companies, taken over by other companies all part of the holding group. I have a headache already and I still don't know for sure!:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back