Free Member
May 22, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
hi, i have a spare sky hd box due to switching to virgin.
would this work in a van if i have the correct satellite receiver Ariel?
i dont expect to get sky but it does recieve the free channels.
thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yes you can use it in the van with a suitable sattellite dish and tripod. you will also need an alignments meter to set the dish, which once you have the knack takes about 1 minute. my quickest alignment ever was about 12 seconds, as i knew from experience where to point the dish

either use a freesat card from sky or if you subscribe bring your card from home, but it will need pairing with the box

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
sky

can I have sky in my motorhome and if I can how do I go about it thanks steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
ANYONE TRIED THIS ? Link Removed
Does it work ?
terry

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
My old sky box gets all the fta channels. when I left sky I asked if I would receive them and they said yes. there's loads on there for free.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

absolutely, if you have sky at home bring your box with you and get hold of a cheap sattellite dish, tripod and meter

setup the tripod with the dish pointing in the general direction of the sattelite at 28* east, often easiest if you copy the direction of other dishes nearby.

then connect the cable to the sky box and the other end to your meter, then plug the free end onto the dish.

turn on the skybox, which is connected to your tv, maybe by scart lead. turn on and set your tv to see the sky box output. it should say no sattelite signal

go outside and turn the meter up so you can hear a continuous tone. then VERY slowly move the dish left to right until the tone changes to the highest pitch. you will find that you pick up a sat signal that still doesnt get sky working this is fractionally to the right and above the sky satellite in the sky.

when you have the best tone, either go inside and check or have an assistant do so. select tv guide, if you get listings, your on the right channel. select one to check.

then remove the meter and connect the cable direct to the dish

this is a very non technical description and I have found most people understand it easier than talking about lnb's or frequencies and compasses

one thing to remember is that you must be line of sight to the satellite and unlike an aerial for tv, a tree in the way will block your signal

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
For 99p I'll give it a shot. I'm sure you will all chip in to repay the cost of my testing it :roflmto:

Phil

Well if you do send me details :winky:Hate to waste almost a quid ::bigsmile: We are leaving sky on the 21 st so our sky box will be redundant -but if I can get it to work we have loads recorded on it that we intened to watch but it would/will take us longer than the time left to watch it all ::bigsmile:
I will have to get in touch with my mate to see if/how to get what we have recorded off the hard drive if the quider fails :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We've not been Sky customers for years but still have the old box and old card. It still gives quite a few channels free but there are some that are free on Freeview that are scrambled on Sky - I am assuming that it is these that the 99p trick will solve. Not sure if it will enable you to watch recorded progs tho (but I will let you know)

Phil

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You normally have to be paid up and plugged in to Sky to be able to watch recorded programmes but be interesting to find out, if only I could manage the 99p! :Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well if you do send me details :winky:Hate to waste almost a quid ::bigsmile: We are leaving sky on the 21 st so our sky box will be redundant -but if I can get it to work we have loads recorded on it that we intened to watch but it would/will take us longer than the time left to watch it all ::bigsmile:
I will have to get in touch with my mate to see if/how to get what we have recorded off the hard drive if the quider fails :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

as said you need to be subscribing to view recorded programs on the box. otherwise its a case of removing the harddrive and installing it on a computer and using specially written software to read and copy the files. too complicated for most people to bother really

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Paul says you can copy from sky box to a lappy etc :thumb: but me I have no idea :Sad: so wil get him to do it::bigsmile:
Terry

Apocalypse

Free Member
Jun 11, 2013
Halesowen, West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato hi-line
Exp
I can confirm, once you have cancelled sky subscriptions, you automatically loose the right to view what was recorded, even though its still on the hard drive :Doh:
IMO. and being with Virgin for over 15 months now (only to try and get broadband at a speed so the kids could enjoy gaming) don't bother!! SKY offers loads more and don't forget if you are on SKY you get SKYGO free anyway, so as long as you have WIFI, you can watch all the channels you pay for on a laptop or tablet:Cool: with more sites offering WIFI, may be worth waiting or buy a dongle?

Huddersfield123

Free Member
Jan 16, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Cathargo m liner
Exp
2 years
Sky in Motor Home

Hi
There is a bit of kit on the market which is made in Gemany that you can fix on the back of your TV and then plugs into the HDMI socket oo the TV you then put your Card into the unit and it allows you to watch ALL the programmes you can at home in your lounge

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back