Clonking noise on Peugeot Boxer 2006 (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I have a "clonking noise" on by base vehicle, peugeot boxer (2006) that appears to come from the off side front suspension area. I have recently had all the suspension/steering checked all all components appear to be solid and no "play" anywhere. Has anybody had a similar problem or any ideas? The only explanation the garage could come up with was that there could be slight wear on the steering rack which is undetectable at present. The "clonk" seems worse when the vehicle is pulling away to the right.:cry::cry:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Was that a strip down inspection or did they look for movement with a steel bar while pulling on the tyre?

I have a "clonking noise" on by base vehicle, peugeot boxer (2006) that appears to come from the off side front suspension area. I have recently had all the suspension/steering checked all all components appear to be solid and no "play" anywhere. Has anybody had a similar problem or any ideas? The only explanation the garage could come up with was that there could be slight wear on the steering rack which is undetectable at present. The "clonk" seems worse when the vehicle is pulling away to the right.:cry::cry:

OP
OP
Petros
Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Clonking noise

Not a full strip down but the wheels off and usual iron bar job:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
could be wear in the driveshaft or cv joint

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
It could be the constant velocity joints, any void bushes, engine mount gone the torque of the engine lifting it when you let the clutch out, broken spring\shock absorber, loose silencer.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Probably a track rod end. Mine did this for some time and was only replaced at the second MOT.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
CV joint would be my first thought.

It'll need some investigation. Occasionally a little maintenance is all that is required. My Santa Fe needed stripping down, cleaning and re-greasing. :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Find a nice big carpark and do a ciircle on full lock clockwise and anti-clockwise and if that makes it sound bad then it is the constant velocity joint. At least that will prove or eliminate that.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I had exactkly the same problem on a new fiat based mh back in 2006. It sounded like the suspension was knocking or flexing the bodywork. The fiat agents diagnosed the steering rack and changed it. It did improve things but there was still the occasional knock. I was never really convinced they had got to the bottom of the problem.

I could not believe that a brand new rack could be that loose as to cause the knocking.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be wear in the driveshaft or cv joint

agreed....
Knocking under acceleration and worse/louder when turning is invariably a worn CV joint.

It will be hard to find when stationary as, unless the joint is very badly worn, it needs to be under load to be audible.

I suggest you change garages....if you explained the noise to the mechanic his first thought should have been CV joint and a test drive to confirm either way.

It needs sorting before it fails completely.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It might be CV joints but the word "clonking" doesn't fit really. Worn CV jonits generally give a repeated sharp "click" on full lock turns. "Clonking" noises are more often caused by knackered top strut mounts on Ducatos when travelling over rough roads, its a fairly common problem. Be aware that I mean the mounting not the bearing, there is a pretty big difference in price between top mounts and strut top bearings.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back