Running fridge on solar panel (1 Viewer)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi Funsters,
our son has a caravan :ROFLMAO:
He is going to leave it on site for the summer and wants to know if he can leave the Dometic fridge/freezer running off 2x leisure batteries and an 80watt solar panel. There is an electric hookup but the site doesn't want people leaving appliances running whilst away. The alternative, he reckons, is to run it off gas.
Personally I think he can run it off solar+batts as it will not be opened whilst away and it will be on hookup on week ends.
Any advice welcome!
Mike and Annie

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi
Doubt it they don't run of the leisure battery, normaly they only work on battery when the engine is running on motorhomes , but caravans may be different but even so it won't run for long on battery anyway, why does he need it on

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
An absorption fridge pulls 85w. On a 12v supply that is about 7 amps. The solar panel isn't likely to be putting in more than 4 amps at best. The length of time the two batteries will last depends on their capacity but unlikely to last long enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Funsters,
our son has a caravan :ROFLMAO:
He is going to leave it on site for the summer and wants to know if he can leave the Dometic fridge/freezer running off 2x leisure batteries and an 80watt solar panel. There is an electric hookup but the site doesn't want people leaving appliances running whilst away. The alternative, he reckons, is to run it off gas.
Personally I think he can run it off solar+batts as it will not be opened whilst away and it will be on hookup on week ends.
Any advice welcome!
Mike and Annie

Not a chance. The fridge will require orders of magnitude more power than an 80W solar panel will provide over the course of even a sunny day. You might get away with 10 panels and a very large battery bank, in summer.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
The fridge in my autoquest was rated at 120W on 12V so running it 24/7 on a 80W panel is a non-starter.

A general rule of thumb was that one watt permanently for a year costs £1. I suspect its a bit more but you get the idea. The same fridge was rated at 150W on mains, so let's say £200 for a whole year.

You need to talk to the site owner as I'm sure he is trying to stop people permanently running 2KW heaters in their awning. That would cost 10 or 15 times as much. Running a "small" fridge doesn't sound unreasonable.

Gordon

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Thanks everyone.
I thought he might get away with it as a fridge does not "run" constantly. Our little compressor fridge runs off the leisure batteries only, when we are not on hookup (and that most of the time as we use aires mostly) and you hear it kick in every once in a while. It doesn't seem to use much power. We have two large gel batteries.
Why he needs it running? Well, he's a lad, innit:winky:
Mike and Annie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks everyone.
I thought he might get away with it as a fridge does not "run" constantly. Our little compressor fridge runs off the leisure batteries only, when we are not on hookup (and that most of the time as we use aires mostly) and you hear it kick in every once in a while. It doesn't seem to use much power. We have two large gel batteries.
Why he needs it running? Well, he's a lad, innit:winky:
Mike and Annie

big difference between an absorption fridge and a compressor fridge.

Absorption fridge runs constantly if 12v is present, ie: engine running.....that's 168amps in a 24 hour period if it draws 7 amps per hour....

compressor fridge is intermittant and will draw maybe 1/4 to 1/3rd of that in the same time period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back