corian man

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
leicester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I am driving to spain on saturday my first stop is in orleans.
which is the best way to go lots of scary stories on internet about driving around paris
helpppp

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am driving to spain on saturday my first stop is in orleans.
which is the best way to go lots of scary stories on internet about driving around paris
helpppp

If you can hit Paris on a Sunday before about 11am it's fine in my experience.

Other times it can be a bit hectic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

corian man

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
leicester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
thanks Jim looks like rouen chartres orleans is a good option I will put in sat nav and see if it is much longer once again thanks

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
thanks Jim looks like rouen chartres orleans is a good option I will put in sat nav and see if it is much longer once again thanks

Let us know the difference.

I would guess Paris is about 40 - 50 miles shorter than via Rouen.

Not necessarily quicker though.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Have to disagree with Spitfire, Venice is the most beautiful city in the world but don't drive there as the roads are flooded.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Have to disagree with Spitfire, Venice is the most beautiful city in the world but don't drive there as the roads are flooded.

Very nice:thumb: BUT the island of Capri has to be my favouite but you will need a boat to get there:ROFLMAO:

Never been to Paris:Sad:

OP
OP
C

corian man

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
leicester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
sat nav saying 40 mins longer I am thinking it is only longer if you are not parked up on the paris ring road.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Ah Capri, they haven't lied about Capri. Last time I was in the area, we hired a boat and sailed round Capri. Then up the Almafi cost a great day.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Paris

Hi

We have been to Paris a few times with the motorhome. We stay at Link Broken, about 15 miles south, and a short walk from the train station to get to the Eiffel Tower.

We drive toll free from Calais - routes available on Link Broken.

We have also done a sight seeing tour of central Paris in the motorhome as my mate who was with me on that trip "wanted to see everything"

The Boulevard Peripherique is fine, steady away, leave big gaps in front of you. No bother at all.

We last went to Paris en route to Rome, so slightly off route, but again my companion on that trip had never been either.

Russell

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hi

We have been to Paris a few times with the motorhome. We stay at Link Broken, about 15 miles south, and a short walk from the train station to get to the Eiffel Tower.

We drive toll free from Calais - routes available on Link Broken.

We have also done a sight seeing tour of central Paris in the motorhome as my mate who was with me on that trip "wanted to see everything"

The Boulevard Peripherique is fine, steady away, leave big gaps in front of you. No bother at all.

We last went to Paris en route to Rome, so slightly off route, but again my companion on that trip had never been either.

Russell

How was the camp site. Just booked for 3 days to spend time with our daughter and son in law before they fly home to Oz. normally stay at Bois de Boulogne but is v expensive in summer and takes a 22 euros booking fee. Also you need to pay for their navette to the metro !! Camping Beau Village is further out but seems an easier option!

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
last time i was in paris stayed on parking by ark de triumph with about 5 other vans a bit noisey though .:secret::france: stan

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
you should wait at calais for me will be there around 11.30pm 12th then you can follow me if ya can keep up :ROFLMAO:
where in spain ya off to

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sat nav saying 40 mins longer I am thinking it is only longer if you are not parked up on the paris ring road.

unless you have done it before steer clear of Boulevard Périphérique
the only time to take that road is either late at night or the early hours

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Regularly travel down to the Dordogne and always use the A16 to Rouen then Chartres, Orleans..easy route to Rouen on non peage autoroute then reasonable roads to Chartres but can have a lot of lorries on them.:thumb:Note the non peage starts past Abbeyville so if you want avoid paying use the N roads to there.

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Paris

Hi

We have stayed at Beau Village two or three times. It's about 18 euro per night, which given it's location is not bad at all. Showers/loos OK, no bother at all. Pleasant "playroom" with wifi etc. Bakers shop and small supermarket in the village.

We were going to go to Bois de Boulogne but the price put us off, more so with the surcharge for a tag axle!

Russell

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On Good Friday we arrived in Calais, put Futuroscope as our SatNav destination thinking it would go via Rouen, and we ended up going via Western Paris. Yes the Boulevard Peripherique is a bit of a pain in the bum, but we've been round it in an old VW without a SatNav in the past and we still got to where we were going. Main problem is the tunnels can put the SatNav signal on hold so you end up having to make snap decisions about which lane to take. We got it wrong once and had to use The Force (aka common sense) to find our way back again.

It's all a bit of an adventure but it's not exactly a horror story. The real eye opener is driving past shanty towns in the Paris suburbs. Anyway if you get stuck in the traffic the roadside graffiti's quite interesting.

PS - I got married in Bradford, and I definitely prefer Paris.

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you do use the Boulevard Peripherique, have a good look at a map before you set off. Each junction has a name rather than a number, and you come off there for the routes you want to follow.

Porte D'Orleans for example will lead you towards..... Orleans!

It is not complex, just look at a map first and jot the name down if need be.

I would never take a longer route just to avoid the "B.P."

Russell

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
This year we went via Paris (on my request as navigator) to avoid the stress of missing the 'Rouen low bridge' and ended up getting more stressed on the periphique when it tried to take us off an exit with a 2.5m height barrier and had do do several detours :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Eventualy got off though......
Other times we've done it with no problems.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back