Don't want to start a debate - but I need one!! (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
After reading this months MMM, Mrs Davies has decided we need a gas detector when in France.

Don't want to start a debate on whether it happens or not, but as most of us men would agree, when the Mrs says we need one there is no point arguing:winky:

So the question is what is the best type to buy, and where from (any Funsters discount available)

Nigel

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
How about buying a set of Jim's flashing tyre thingies... stick one in an old yoghurt pot... stick it to the ceiling... and say it is a gas detector...

JJ :Cool:

Already have these fitted - she would spot them:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Nigel, don't trust those detectors, just get Debbie one of these mate::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the question is what gas do you want to detect. so far nobody knows so they havent made a detector.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
After reading this months MMM, Mrs Davies has decided we need a gas detector when in France.

Don't want to start a debate on whether it happens or not, but as most of us men would agree, when the Mrs says we need one there is no point arguing:winky:

So the question is what is the best type to buy, and where from (any Funsters discount available)

Nigel

No debate I know, but I saw that article and it looked genuine enough they were talking first hand but its the first time I have seen that it wasn't someone who had heard someone else, but I am afraid I am still not convinced. If it was full of gas how did the robbers get in:Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'm sure the MMM article is surrounded with adverts for such a detector, with prices ranging from expensive to exorbitant, failing that Peter from Johns Cross will be along any time now.

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
I'm sure the MMM article is surrounded with adverts for such a detector, with prices ranging from expensive to exorbitant, failing that Peter from Johns Cross will be along any time now.

No adverts in MMM. Hoping some Funsters can point me in right direction. Mrs D. says it is not open for debate, I must get something - otherwise it is expensive sites as opposed to proper aires . The cost difference in these will pay for detector in no time at all.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How about a couple of canaries, one at high level and one on the floor. This would not only find the gas it would also give you an indication whether to crawl or walk out safely. :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have a very reliable one but does need re-charging often

If they can keep 3 foot away it may fail but inside that range then they have no chance

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i picked a new one up on ebay for about £10. detects lpg and other aerosol gasses. The BS about gassing suggests they use easy start or ethanol, so this would trigger the alarm as its an explosive gas.

seriously though, you would need a very large quantity of gas to knock out the inhabitants of a motorhome, and far more than your average thief would carry about in their swag bag. thats why the royal college of anaesthetists say its highly improbable as it would be lethal to many people and there are zero reports of gassing deaths in motorhomes etc

dont worry about it, as it is just a way of worrying people into buying overpriced detectors

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
loads of carbon monoxide gas detectors available - pick how much yiou want to pay!

This detects carbon monoxide - recommended by British Gas....

ebay item no: 220494573357

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If the pilot on the fridge and water heater or the heater are on how is it there is no explosion , do the robbers know this because it wouldn't do them much good if a van exploded, but the mmm thing was a letter from the actual bloke and he reckons 3 vans were all done on the same night , I will try to find it

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this is the one I bought recently and only £10 buy it now or bid from 99p

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we still don't know if the op is referring to carbon monoxide or anaesthetic gas. ??

I'm assuming anaesthetic gas?

Last edited:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
with you

I'm with you Bigone ref gassing
A good friend of mine used to work for the NHS calibrating their machines/and valves etc for gasses (including those used in theatre) and he is of the opinion that the gassing scare is just that "A Scare"
The thief would need to know a lot of details to even think about it. Volume of van, BMI for those inside, state of health so in my opinion it doesn't happen.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we still don't know if the op is referring to carbon monoxide or anaesthetic gas. ??

I'm assuming anaesthetic gas?

Sorry cant find it:Doh: but someone else must have read it, from memory 3 vans were parked together and they all woke up late with headache , I know, I know:Smile: and they had all been robbed so they assumed it was gas. Afaik

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the russians managed to kill half the hostages in a moscow theatre when the tried using gas but theres a couple of romanians are running round aires with an aerosol gassing people safely personally i suspect its red wine syndrome that does it
"we only had two bottles and we didnt hear a thing"

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Sorry, vanbitz gas detector is optional extra on strikeback system.

However gapsecuritydirect.co do one that plugs in to ciggy lighter £99.99.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
...by the way... I think a carbon monoxide detector is a very wise thing to have in your motorhome and when I see one at a suitable price I will buy one...

JJ :Cool:

We have a fireangel CO-9X.. 7 year battery life.. For under 20 quid

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
These seem to work on any kind of gas, so serious question how do they react to dog f... wind? Our 2 big dogs can fill the van several times a night.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
I know the OP didnt want a debate, but this is simple, its almost impossible to use any kind of knockout gas in a motorhome - as the uncertainty over so many factors would KILL the occupants in any case!

This was posted in an article somewhere else on the forum....the article was by a propellor head on the subject...

...and think how expensive that gas would be...for what they can lift out of your van?

The CO threat is real, as is a the risk of a leak - so fit a detector for that....

You should know you eat 3 spiders a year on average whilst you sleep...wonder if I should wear that gas mask?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
nigel, save your money. But if you must buy something.
send me some money by paypal, Ill let you have a couple of golf balls that I bought as bomb detectors off some crook, they don't work on finding bombs, they won't work on keeping you safe from the gas attack people neither.

But you and I will know that your Missus will be happy, thinking that she is safe and sound.

ill do you one for a tenner, you can tell her it was 99.99 and we can go up the pub with the change :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back