Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
This is a serious question so please only constructive sensible answers.

I am looking at a site that is going to represent a stupid outlay, my questions are:-

1) Would you stop on a site that is in a very quiet countryside location a mile from the nearest (but good) pub eating house 5 miles from the east coast, Skegness Mablethorpe area, plenty of walking, cycling and fishing, good access for RV's with trailers on up to 60' total length.

2) Possibility of full timing the ability to be on the electoral register with post collected and saved for you when away.

3) What facilities would you like on the site.

4) What facilities are a must

5) would you prefer an adult only site

6) any other input you feel relevant

Thanks in advance please keep this thread sensible

All the best Rick

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
1) Would you stop on a site that is in a very quiet countryside location a mile from the nearest (but good) pub eating house 5 miles from the east coast, Skegness Mablethorpe area, plenty of walking, cycling and fishing, good access for RV's with trailers on up to 60' total length.

2) Possibility of full timing the ability to be on the electoral register with post collected and saved for you when away.

All the best Rick

That sounds like a good idea to me... especially point 2 re being a holding address for fulltimers re post etc.

I'm not very experienced at motorhoming as yet, but from what I've seen so far for a quality adult-only site I'd like something of a similar standard to a Caravan Club site in terms of the quality of fixtures etc (washing areas, toilet block, etc.) and dependability of service provision, cleanliness etc.

In this day and age I would suggest that Wi-Fi provision is a must either free or at a reasonable rate.

Simon

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Can't comment on area as I haven't been there yet. That said, I believe it is popular.

You will probably need showers, toilets and washing/drying facilities if there will be full timers on site. Also a good power supply, as the winter will strain the power as the heaters go on!

Look into things such as reed bed filtration if you have the space - it will save on emptying waste tanks.

Maybe add meters for electric.

You will be responsible for council tax on the pitches if the full timers are registered there, Once the pitch is registered, it will remain so. You will need to think of a way of collecting this. Alternatively, you could just allow a mailing point but not the electrol role reg as this will incur tax/ also alter the site as a residential park as apposed to camping site. This may also cause issues with current permissions.

Other option may be to look at a park home site, as most if not all of the infratstructure is already there, and is residential licenced - due to the nature of park homes, you are permitted to add caravans too - such as motorhomes, etc so long as you do not exceed the permitted numbers. This would allow a small cl type site somewhere on the park.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I like stopping on remote sites :thumb:.

I tend to use a campsite for a bulk stay once a year for 2-3 months and if yours was nice enough I would use it depending on price.

Is the walk to the pub safe enough at night? ie is there a path or the road walkable in the dark? I do like to wander to the pub once or twice a week.

Adult only is a must for me I am afraid and is one of the things I do look for.

On the facilities side. Either a good quality wifi or 3G must work as I run an internet company.

Oh and hard standings are essential. I don't stop on grass even in the summer. (except for rallies).

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I am looking at a site that is going to represent a stupid outlay, my questions are:-
how stupid and can you make a return on your investment
I don't need a answer but you do its your money

yes and I do like the area very much

toilets shower ECU hook up WIFI fishing kids play area elsan
plenty water points drive over MH service point

toilets shower

no I like the sound of well behaved kids playing and its fun to watch
also we have our granddaughter with us some weekends

clean good relationships with owners friendly
can you do rallies events
don't forget big and fancy does not always work keep it simple

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
For full timing people a lot of the previous suggestions are extremely valid and the eco values such as the reed beds and solar panels on out buildings and waste and rainwater harvesting for flushing toilets etc.
If there was a indoor food prep/kitchen dining/meeting or games room a wood burner would be welcome or even an outdoor sitting and bbq area such as the ones used on European sites. Pitches border by willows to aid drainage,provide privacy and also supply biomass for the wood fired water heater (there are some schemes that provide these a very low cost).
Well behaved dogs with a suitable walking area and waste disposal also welcome.
Most importantly site staff who haven't had a charisma by-pass!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is a serious question so please only constructive sensible answers.

All the best Rick

Is it already a site if so what is on there now, if not have you got planing
1 yes
2 could be a mine field
3 personally very few , water maybe hook up, somewhere for grey and black water
4 as 3
5 for preference yes but not essential
There are plenty sites about make sure it will make a return before spending a lot of money, if it is doing that now maybe best to carry on as it is, before going into something new that might just rock the boat.

Anyway all the best with it, if you never try you will never know:Smile:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi got to agree simple clean and tidy would get my vote. what people want and what they are prepared to pay for are worlds apart electric points etc would all need checking by said qaulified person all costs money. ivory55

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Thanks Guys some very valid ideas coming out, many of them I would do and have in mind, picking a couple out if it was an adult site I would never stop grandchildren visiting.......thats just mean.........most pitches would be hard standing.........it does have some static licences at present (but not enough) and is set in 15acres grommet you could walk to the pub but there is no path.......I would recomend a high vis and torch it's pitch black at night but very quiet road......but then you only need to get run over once :Blush: not good :RollEyes: please keep all your advice and comments coming thanks.........to answer some one else yes there will be a rally field...........the infrastucture that is there at present is very basic to say the least and would have seen 25years ago :RollEyes: so it wouldnt happen overnight but with support from people comming in 12 months it could be what we all want.........well mostly never please everyone::bigsmile: My biggest concern is location though a short car ride away from most things that could be a long walk so thoughts on that please :thumb:

All the best Rick

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes it sounds good to me although dont really know the area.

As for adult only just a thought if your looking for full timers then a lot will be grandparents and might like the kids and grand kids to visit. To make it adult only may restrict full timers wanting to stay. I'd allow kids but just make sure they follow site guidelines and maybe if you have room keep the play area away from vans.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My biggest concern is location though a short car ride away from most things that could be a lon walk so thoughts on that please

You could have taxi service, minibus or similar , another venture::bigsmile:
Plenty places do that

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I "may" be interested in a static, Even more so if it could take a broadband connection again depending on price as I wouldn't be there all year.
Alternatively, I am considering a caravan and the option of storage/longer stays may be handy.

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
I "may" be interested in a static, Even more so if it could take a broadband connection again depending on price as I wouldn't be there all year.
Alternatively, I am considering a caravan and the option of storage/longer stays may be handy.

This is a good idea, I'm looking at selling my house to release cash, but need somewhere like this for a base somewhere to come home to as it were, there are sites already but most seem to have a lot of rules as to how long you can keep a static on for before renewing and you can only use them to sell it or move it, they say you must buy your gas from them etc.

The ideal would be a static with Electric, gas, water, WiFi, a storage outbuilding,enough room to put the M H of coarse, camp shop for essentials and services as described earlier, safety is another issue fire and procedures would all need to be calculated in a flat rate for all these or a option system tailored to your needs; and as for layout you could zone it -quite, children\mixed and in these sad days vetting of whose on site seeing that kids are about there.

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
This is a good idea, I'm looking at selling my house to release cash, but need somewhere like this for a base somewhere to come home to as it were, there are sites already but most seem to have a lot of rules as to how long you can keep a static on for before renewing and you can only use them to sell it or move it, they say you must buy your gas from them etc.

The ideal would be a static with Electric, gas, water, WiFi, a storage outbuilding,enough room to put the M H of coarse, camp shop for essentials and services as described earlier, safety is another issue fire and procedures would all need to be calculated in a flat rate for all these or a option system tailored to your needs; and as for layout you could zone it -quite, children\mixed and in these sad days vetting of whose on site seeing that kids are about there.

Careful you are describing a house here and that's what you are selling ::bigsmile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Could I add that deliveries of newspapers,milk and bread together with groceries either a local mobile shop or deliveries from the big boys,from online shopping, to the site would also be most welcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back